Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

13 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

Perhaps is weirdly catchy. I've caught myself humming it sooo many times during this weekend. The demo sounded good, but it wasn't this catchy and I thought that the official version wouldn't be either, but here we are.

(Well, maybe "addictive" is more descriptive than "catchy".)

Yes agreed. Maybe its just simply a great song 😄 takes a few listens though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

The lyrics of Perhaps are interesting for sure, like some lines on their own including most of the first verse, to my eyes seem to be about Axl/the narrator shellshocked and then also guilty regarding a breakup he was threatened with but thought wouldn't actually happen (perhaps he was wrong when he didn't see her or believe her, but how is he supposed to know how it feels to be her?).  

That would make the "harboring this hate for days" and "my sense of rejection is no excuse for my behavior" bits make sense.  Even the pulling the gun and crucifying his savior bit, maybe talking about how this person meant so much to him, and her breakup made him feel like crucifying (metaphorically) the one he used to love

The chorus however has some lines that are hard to make sense of in that context - I interpret it as Axl/this character rattling off some of their faults that may have caused the breakup to happen

I interpreted it as a relationship as well. Sounds like the guy is reflecting on it and realizing he wasn’t really present in the relationship. The chorus with Duff seems to be his internal voice saying he prioritized people in his life that didn’t matter.

The gun to his savior is the line that tells me it’s about him carrying a God complex that was crumbled when she left. In songs like Coma Axl describes himself as the one that had to save him. I think it’s the same idea here, the main character is so full of himself because of the fame and status he reached. It’s only after she left that he understands how awful he was. It’s a burden she shouldn’t have had to carry if he had been present, but now his heart bleeds for what he allowed himself to lose. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

when the song talks about "Perhaps I was wrong", do you think the "perhaps" means the singer has some doubt or is undecided on whether he is wrong or not? the entire song is named after the "perhaps", so it seems important somehow. but why is the singer undecided on whether he was wrong?

also

Perhaps I was wrong
When I didn't see you, hey, hey <- past tense
Perhaps I was wrong, hey
When I don't believe you <- present tense :O (might just be for the flow of the syllables though when singing aloud)

Edited by BucketEgg

9 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

when the song talks about "Perhaps I was wrong", do you think the "perhaps" means the singer has some doubt or is undecided on whether he is wrong or not? the entire song is named after the "perhaps", so it seems important somehow. but why is the singer undecided on whether he was wrong?

also

Perhaps I was wrong
Perhaps I was wrong, hey
When I don't believe you <- present tense :O (might just be for the flow of the syllables though when singing aloud)

I’d say he’s trying to rationalize the situation in convincing himself that he wasn’t that awful. But as the doubt creeps in as he reflects his  internal voice hits him with the “you’re all alone now” 

But you never know, the song could have been born from a complex relationship or something as simple as a girl rejecting him haha there’s a few good interpretations I’ve read. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

also

Perhaps I was wrong
Perhaps I was wrong, hey

Yea....it adds intrigue too....the best songs are not open and shut and completely literal descriptive....it's left to interpretation as we are doing here....can't wait to analyse TG!

• Like 1

It is really fun hearing other people's interpretations of Perhaps' lyrics and all these different perspectives, it makes you think like, how normal GNR fandom could have been if all these years we had more and more new releases to dissect lyrically like this :lol:

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

It is really fun hearing other people's interpretations of Perhaps' lyrics and all these different perspectives, it makes you think like, how normal GNR fandom could have been if all these years we had more and more new releases to dissect lyrically like this :lol:

I think I've seen the word normal used more in here in the last week than the entire run of this chatter shed! 

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

When Axl sings and holds out the "Your Alll Aloooooone" and Slash comes in, it does give me some Goosebumps..obviously there's some negativity, on here and everywhere just like anything but I've looked in many corners and there IS traction with this one and generally positive vibes and feedback unlike HS and Absurd....The General will more likely be for us hardcore tho! 🤞

Actually Robin Finck comes first, then Slash. :lol:

Edited by We love Axl Rose
  • Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

It’s all about managing expectations. If you want big- comeback epics, you’ll be disappointed. If you can get past that, I think Perhaps and Hard Skool are great for leftovers 

Yeah. I love both them. Definetly in my GNR playlist . They refresh a little te experience

The song keeps growing on me. I really like it and it's really catchy

• Like 2