"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

5 minutes ago, Millions said:

Does anyone know what style of song this is supposed to be? A ballad? An up-tempo rocker?

I'm assuming that if there's  orchestra backing, its not going to be one of the heavier GNR songs.

Well the orchestra is mean as hell and it sounds pretty heavy from the cell phone recording.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Millions said:

Does anyone know what style of song this is supposed to be? A ballad? An up-tempo rocker?

I'm assuming that if there's  orchestra backing, its not going to be one of the heavier GNR songs.

I think it will be a song with multiple different sections. A soft section, a mid tempo section, and a very heavy, climax-like section. A true ‘epic’

Sebastian Bach in 2007:

one of my favorite songs is this song called "The General", which is so… it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think Ι've ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. I was like, "When is this coming out?" And he said, "2012." I was like, "Dude, you're killin' me!" He goes, "Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically." He's got it all figured out, he's just different than other people. He does things on his own time, in his own way, but you know... the world's not prepared for what I've heard from this guy. It's got the grandness and the epicness of "November Rain" but with the snarl, the attitude of "Appetite".

Source: https://www.a-4-d.com/t7987-the-general#32694

• Like 4

Just now, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

Is it true this song is supposed to be viewed as a "fourth" chapter in the Don't Cry/November Rain/Estranged trilogy?  I swear I heard that somewhere but I also feel like I heard that said about TWAT.

"One of my favorite songs — I asked Axl if I could mention the song titles and he said "Fine" — and one of my favorite songs is this song called "The General", which is so… it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think Ι've ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. I was like, "When is this coming out?" And he said, "2012." I was like, "Dude, you're killin' me!" He goes, "Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically." He's got it all figured out, he's just different than other people. He does things on his own time, in his own way, but you know... the world's not prepared for what I've heard from this guy. It's got the grandness and the epicness of "November Rain" but with the snarl, the attitude of "Appetite". Because the album that I've heard, a lot of the drumming is by Brain, who plays so heavy and mean. It's a really... grand is the word for it, but its still got that attitude. There's some great music comin' your way."

thats what axl told Baz.

• Like 1

We will have,

Absurd

Hard Skool

Perhaps

The General

What I’d like next is a selection from (who knows how many of these were completed with vocals),

Oklahoma/Berlin

Me and My Elvis/ Soul Monster

Zodiac13

Tonto

Quicksong

Seven

Ides of March

What we are most likely getting next,

Atlas Shrugged

???

State of Grace is a wild card. That one was more unfinished vocally than Perhaps, Absurd, and HS. 

• Like 2

Strange no CD option.  My guess is a full live compilation of random live tracks we didn’t get with UYI, couple of bonus songs ( Perhaps and General) and probably a bluray with a NITL concert.  Just my thinking while I wait for a CD with The General.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

We will have,

Absurd

Hard Skool

Perhaps

The General

What I’d like next is a selection from (who knows how many of these were completed with vocals),

Oklahoma/Berlin

Me and My Elvis/ Soul Monster

Zodiac13

Tonto

Quicksong

Seven

Ides of March

What we are most likely getting next,

Atlas Shrugged

???

State of Grace is a wild card. That one was more unfinished vocally than Perhaps, Absurd, and HS. 

I’m thinking anything that had vocals recorded we will hear on the new album. So State, Atlas, and Soul Monster for sure. I do hope Quick Song has vocals on it now cause I dig that tune.

Damn, the vinyl is sold out.  Literally, the only time I'm ever in my life even considering buying anything from the GNR website, and I can't get it.  Is this being sold anywhere else?  For those who were able to purchase, did it give a ship date?

Edited by kozydogg
  • Wow 1

2 minutes ago, kozydogg said:

Damn, they Vinyl is sold out.  Literally, the only time I'm ever in my life even considering buying anything from the GNR website, and I can't get it.  Is this being sold anywhere else?  For those where were able to purchase, didn't it give a ship date?

Oct 27 it ships out 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

Is it true this song is supposed to be viewed as a "fourth" chapter in the Don't Cry/November Rain/Estranged trilogy?  I swear I heard that somewhere but I also feel like I heard that said about TWAT.

Actually Estranged is part 4, and part 3 is something that never got finished for UYI, according to Axl. We later found this out to be TIL.

I think Baz made a mistake and confused The General with a different song. But if what he says is true about The General being part of the story, then it goes like this:

1.Don’t Cry (either version, I guess)

2.November Rain

3.This I Love

4.Estranged

5.The General

So the first four songs are about getting over a girl and then the fifth song is about child abuse… I guess…

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

To think that photo of the boys a couple of months ago in the studio listening to mixes (pural) were most likely The General was getting the once over gives me chills!! Slash better have brought his A game for that one....I'm glad we don't know it and will only hopefully hear it as a finished article! The demoes are meant to come in the 30th ani, not before the first go around! 

6 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

Oct 27 it ships out 

Glad the demand seems high....can see them adding more and being spurred on a little to do different packages again....good stuff!