"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

I’m obviously really looking forward to finally hearing ‘The General’. The only sad thing is, if Buckethead DID record the original guitar solo for it, you can almost guarantee that it would have been better than anything Slash puts on it. I’m thankful we got songs like TWAT with Buckets amazing contributions intact.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

I’m obviously really looking forward to finally hearing ‘The General’. The only sad thing is, if Buckethead DID record the original guitar solo for it, you can almost guarantee that it would have been better than anything Slash puts on it. I’m thankful we got songs like TWAT with Buckets amazing contributions intact.

2002 called. It wants its debates back.

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Appetite for Discussion (a-4-d.com) is your friend: https://www.a-4-d.com/t7987-the-general 

Actually, I might miss some quotes since this is only updated per October 2017.

It’s an assumption, but when Slash said he reworked CD era songs besides Absurd and HS, he mentioned something about being more complex or epic. I always thought he was talking about The General, but back then people wouldn’t believe this song would be released as a single or at all.

1 hour ago, rebeldhipi said:

2002 called. It wants its debates back.

How so? We were all literally just 2 days ago discussing how Robins original solo on ‘Perhaps’ was better than Slash’s poor attempt. 🤣

Edited by GNFNRUK
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Silence said:

Do any members here have that video of Izzy backstage asking what that sound is? Its the beginning of The General. I wanted to hear it again if anybody recalls that sound.

I remember that video. It was from one of the 2006 shows if I remember right.

• PERHAPS 1

1 hour ago, jimisbatman said:

So are people assuming this is the General at the beginning? 

And separate note......... I want a soundboard recording from 2006, whats the best one to go for? Any suggestions appreciated. 

Axl said it was.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

So are people assuming this is the General at the beginning? 

And separate note......... I want a soundboard recording from 2006, whats the best one to go for? Any suggestions appreciated. 

Rock am Ring 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

A user on Reddit claims to have heard from an “insider” that The General and State of Grace are the same song… Make of that what you will…

It's not. I'm so confused why this is still ongoing. From the cell phone clip you can hear it's different. You can hear the strings. You can hear Axls vocals. 

There's a part in the chorus of State of Grace that sounds similar granted. 

Brain came up with The General a couple of years after State of Grace.  End of. 

4 hours ago, youngunner said:

they played the intro at most of the 2002 tour

2006. 2002 had the Exorcist intro instead. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

Does anyone else still thinks The General might be a (maybe heavily) reworked version of "Strate of Grace"? I do.

It sounds like it from Bach's description, but I don't get why Axl would take a title like State Of Grace, which fits with the lyrics of the song perfectly, and change it to The General, which has no relevance to the lyrics. Unless, of course,, the lyrics has changed. Besides, The General was supposed to be named after Bucket and Brain eating General Tsao's, but State of Grace was likely named State Of Grace before Brain joined, it's it not a song that sounds like it came out of a Brain and Bucket collaboration.