"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

42 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah if you cut it at a different speed you can do that. I don't think they will do that though as it's increasingly rare for that to happen with 7 inch now. 

The other issue is that the more you put it on, the more the sound quality is compromised. 

Both of these are reasons I want this single on fucking CD!

Still got my fingers crossed and not ordered the vinyl yet in the hope that it's coming. 

Guess we'll find out in 68 days (or even before) maybe it could be an edit too....or just that the song isn't as long. We have to remember there were no 7+ minute songs on Chinese and still it had a few "epics"....I'm just glad it's finally being unleashed from his mythical shelf....

Atlas and Soul Monster in November would make it a truly truly awesome year! Then anything can dribble out before Slash gets his wish sometime between now and 2030! 😆

5 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

I thought about that too. I also thought about Oh My God. But I guess it depends on how you define "epic". Neither The Garden or Oh My God are epic enough in my opinion. I wouldn't call them epic songs, even if they lean a bit into that direction.

Agree on Oh My God. Wouldn't call that epic by any means :lol:

But I disagree on The Garden. With slightly over 5 min runtime it's not the length that makes it epic for my taste, but the build up, the psychedelic sound, the atmosphere... Alice Cooper, the crazy part during the solo and the heavy riffing towards the end. Pure greatness. Simply epic for me :lol:

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I think the rumour about State of Grace being The General - or having morphed into the General - started by some "insiders". But also some posters here said that they heard some of the same notes not in the cell phone recording, but in the orchestral intro of the General that was played at GN'R shows. Discussion in the leak thread:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Agree on Oh My God. Wouldn't call that epic by any means :lol:

But I disagree on The Garden. With slightly over 5 min runtime it's not the length that makes it epic for my taste, but the build up, the psychedelic sound, the atmosphere... Alice Cooper, the crazy part during the solo and the heavy riffing towards the end. Pure greatness. Simply epic for me :lol:

Agree, its one of my favorites.  The Garden and OMG should not be talked about in the same sentence

4 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Guess we'll find out in 68 days (or even before) maybe it could be an edit too....or just that the song isn't as long. We have to remember there were no 7+ minute songs on Chinese and still it had a few "epics"....I'm just glad it's finally being unleashed from his mythical shelf....

Atlas and Soul Monster in November would make it a truly truly awesome year! Then anything can dribble out before Slash gets his wish sometime between now and 2030! 😆

I think we might be getting ahead of ourselves with the idea of two more songs coming in November! 

Give them a couple of years to manage to release something else! 

• GNFNR 1

I don’t believe for a minute State of Grace is The General. Entirely possible the name for State of Grace changed, sure. But the only thing that comes close to The General from village leaks is Billionaire and that’s only aimed at the orchestra part. 

1 hour ago, jafeijo said:

My only fear is: why such an epic, really good song would be reducted to a b-side of a single? 

Maybe it was for that reason, why they called it the "R" side... 😉

1 hour ago, jafeijo said:

My only fear is: why such an epic, really good song would be reducted to a b-side of a single? 

Maybe it was for that reason, why they called it the "R" side... 😉

Edited by ZODIAC

It could be because it's too non-commercial for a standalone single.

Maybe also they don't want to release it with much fanfare, because they know that this song has been mythologized by a portion of the fanbase and fans expect nothing short of a masterpiece, so they want to reduce such expectations. That doesn't necessarily mean that the song is not good, but they probably don't want the fans to expect a new Estranged.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bansidhe said:

As much as the song is anticipated amongst hardcore GN'R marks, it doesn't seem that The General will be the type of song that will get a load of radio play. Given the alleged subject matter and it being a bit less *accessible musically to the average listener, it'll most likely be one of those tunes that proper fans will love (maybe a bit like Coma) but you'd hardly ever hear it played on radio.

* I appreciate that we've only heard some parts and not in great quality but it was enough to give the impression that it's not one of their more poppy offerings

What’s the alleged subject matter?

11 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

What’s the alleged subject matter?

Yeah, child abuse, but there's no evidence, not even indication. Just fan speculation based on a vague reference by Axl to an unnamed song with this subject in combination with Evader's attempt to decipher the lyrics from the cell phone clip.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

36 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It could be because it's too non-commercial for a standalone single.

Maybe also they don't want to release it with much fanfare, because they know that this song has been mythologized by a portion of the fanbase and fans expect nothing short of a masterpiece, so they want to reduce such expectations. That doesn't necessarily mean that the song is not good, but they probably don't want the fans to expect a new Estranged.

Yeah, I mean, why would fans expect a new Estranged, it's not like Axl said the song was the "part 2" of Estranged or anything ... Oh wait ...

• ABSUЯD 1

1 minute ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Yeah, I mean, why would fans expect a new Estranged, it's not like Axl said the song was the "part 2" of Estranged or anything ... Oh wait ...

"Part 2" may be just in relation to the theme, the lyrics etc, not necessarily about the quality or any musical similarities.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I think the rumour about State of Grace being The General - or having morphed into the General - started by some "insiders". But also some posters here said that they heard some of the same notes not in the cell phone recording, but in the orchestral intro of the General that was played at GN'R shows. Discussion in the leak thread:

It is curious that SOG was not on that list of CD2 options considering it was pretty complete other than the vocals at the end of the bridge 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youngunner said:

I've been to 19 shows since MSG 02. I could be wrong. It's been a long time. I have the vhs of that show. I'll have to take a listen one day but you are probably right

2002 had a different orchestral intro.

Like manic strings with some ambient ambiance

• Like 1