"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

6 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

The email list is fake I've always thought. It's just all too convenient. All the click bait titles, they all scream of "looks Guns fans, Beta's thoughts on who should be credited for Sweet Child", 'Tommy was gonna be sacked and replaced by Duff', 'essay from Axl on why he hates Slash'. 

It's just too obvious. 

Yeah I never thought it was all legit.  I think I vaugely recall years ago either in forums or Discord, even MSL himself saying part of his whole way to get more leaks and stuff was to take tiny bits of legit info and obscure it with a bunch of BS to make it seem like he knew way more than he actually did to fool people

He never said that about the whole email list fiasco, but it just seems way too extensive to be real lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

There's a few reasons why some consider it the holy grail of unreleased GNR music. For starters it's one of the three A-listed CD-era songs that Marco Beltrami worked on. So we know that it's considered a "big gun". The other two songs that we know are A-listed according to Sp1at are Seven and Soulmonster.

People who have heard it have praised it including Dizzy who said: "last year Brain had this song called "The General" that was really cool".

Brain himself who said: "it's an awesome jam... i hope it's released soon!!!!!! [...] it will come out... the shits to good!!!!!"

Sebastian Bach said: "one of my favorite songs is this song called "The General", which is so… it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think Ι've ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals."

Accrording to The Rolling Stones Bach also said that the General would be a sequel to Estranged, but there's a good reason to believe that might be a missquote.

Anyway, most recently Fernando said: "Perhaps is a great song; the General is a monster"

GNR also used to use the orchestral part of The General as an intro to their concerts. You don't tease people with tiny bits of an unreleased song unless you're proud of the song.

The song was played at some GNR after party and we've heard a cellphone clip of it. It sounds cool.

So yeah, there's many reasons to be hyped for the song. Personally I'm hyped because it doesn't sound like anything that we've heard from GNR before. It's dark and epic with an orchestra. The fact that it's different alone makes me want to hear it.

But you're right, if you hype something up too much, it's probably going to dissapoint. That kinda happened to me with Prostitute back in the day. Prostitute used to be an extremely hyped song, so for me it couldn't possibly live up to the hype.

Still, I consider Prositute to be a very good song. And that's enough. I'm Happy if The General is "only" a very good song.

I appreciate the input. It helps put it into perspective. I've been visiting this place for what seems like decades... but just couldn't remember all the details and info. 

• Like 2

Re. General's orchestral part(s) as 06 intro music: I can remember this intro very clearly in my head but, is it just me/am I on acid or something but... was there not also some part of that older horror movie, "last house on the left" used at one point on the 06 US tour??  I swear to God I remember A] someone claiming this (that that creepy-sounding orchestral part was from last house on the left or some other horror movie) and B] youtubing it (the music from the movie) and hearing it and being like, "Oh yeah, heh, i'll be damned, there it is..."  But yea, idk lol, am I just or something? 

1 minute ago, rumandraisin said:

The difference is with another overhyped Atlas or Prostitute situation, we e all heard the orchestral parts of General and the cell phone clip. It's this minor key epic. You can't unhear that. I'm struggling to think how it'd be a let down?

It's still possible. I was a bit dissapointed with the Hard Skool leak, even though I had heard parts of the song before, that I had really loved.

Luckily I ended up loving the finished version of Hard skool much more than the leak.

So I could see myself being a bit dissapointed with The General even though I've loved everything that I've heard of it so far. As long as we haven't heard the rest of the song there's always a chance that it's super repetitive or something. Although I doubt it. The fact that it's considered an A-listed song makes me confident that it's probably going to be a good song. I'm just saying that as long as you haven't heard all of it, there's always a chance that you won't like all of it. Especially if your expectations are extremely high.

20 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

I don't know if it's related to the song, but I do recall Tommy being referred to as The General sometime around 2009/10 maybe.

Even at Rio 2001! 

Will this be one of the tracks with vocals post 2002, a la Better? I am holding out hope since it was only an instrumental piece in 2006-2007 (as far as we know), but the cellphone clip was more recent than that. Guess we will have more to talk about soon enough!

Just now, kever20 said:

Even at Rio 2001! 

Will this be one of the tracks with vocals post 2002, a la Better? I am holding out hope since it was only an instrumental piece in 2006-2007 (as far as we know), but the cellphone clip was more recent than that. Guess we will have more to talk about soon enough!

I've forgotten so much about Chinese Democracy over the years. Better and Shackler's Revenge are the only post-2002 vocal songs I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe Sorry and If the World?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luciusfunk said:

I've forgotten so much about Chinese Democracy over the years. Better and Shackler's Revenge are the only post-2002 vocal songs I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe Sorry and If the World?

If the World had vocals on the Locker Leaks, I believe. Which was surprising since we'd never heard of it prior to the 2007 leaks.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Definitely Better, Shackler's, and Sorry. TIL is an interesting one because neither Sean Beavan nor Buckethead were involved in it at all, at least according to the liner notes, so it seems that the version we have on the album wasn't produced until after Bucket had left the band.

52 minutes ago, Amir said:

Definitely Better, Shackler's, and Sorry. TIL is an interesting one because neither Sean Beavan nor Buckethead were involved in it at all, at least according to the liner notes, so it seems that the version we have on the album wasn't produced until after Bucket had left the band.

Scraped?

5 hours ago, there is no dana only zool said:

Re. General's orchestral part(s) as 06 intro music: I can remember this intro very clearly in my head but, is it just me/am I on acid or something but... was there not also some part of that older horror movie, "last house on the left" used at one point on the 06 US tour??  I swear to God I remember A] someone claiming this (that that creepy-sounding orchestral part was from last house on the left or some other horror movie) and B] youtubing it (the music from the movie) and hearing it and being like, "Oh yeah, heh, i'll be damned, there it is..."  But yea, idk lol, am I just or something? 

They also used music from "The Exorcist" as intro music around that time. 

2 hours ago, kever20 said:

If the World had vocals on the Locker Leaks, I believe. Which was surprising since we'd never heard of it prior to the 2007 leaks.

If The World was on a setlist picture from 2006 I believe

• GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, Grayfox said:

If The World was on a setlist picture from 2006 I believe

It was, along with Prostitute (and Perfect Crime). It was a post on the official website with a Del James' article about the band for the NA Tour leg, which then was deleted by the band/Merck. 

2 hours ago, Amir said:

Or maybe it was produced way before both joined the GNR camp.

3 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

Any guesses to when the song will be played live? 

AND 

When it could be released to streaming? (assuming it's a double Aside, which I think it is). 

AND 

If it'll get it's own shirt as the Perhaps one is magical. 

My guess is it'll be played live after it's dropped. I feel that the Perhaps thing showed us that's very much the m.o. as they could have played it yonks before it dropped if they wanted to. The streaming thing's an interesting question, the media outlets are saying October but that seems to be purely based on the vinyl release date so it could be any time really. My guess is they wouldn't want it too soon as Perhaps is still new. I do wonder if it will get some proper promo. 

In terms of a shirt, I'd love one as given how many times The General's come up on here over the years, it'd be amazing! There were some Absurd ones put out so there's a chance.