"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

On 9/12/2023 at 5:04 PM, Free Bird said:

Imagine The General would be just an instrumental track that features Robin and Buck... oh wait, I confused myself with Sweersa.

Close! I would have said it has vocals. :) Some seemingly scratch vocals in the beginning, but not so. :) 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, alangarcianr said:

i didn’t listen to the cellphone clip, never found ir a anywhere so everything I’ll hear will be new to me (except for the orchestra intro, I remember rock in Rio 2011 where the intro lasted forever)

I present THE GENERAL!

Especially for you, for one night only.....hard to find with all the others not including it....

(Toptip Click off before the yellow coat arrives)

Edited by colonizedmind

Longest I can find! Fuck it STILL gives me the chills and to think....next fuckin month! Intro or backing bed....Marco has contributed soo much to this mythical song!

(1min 41 secs of General)

Longest  (starts at 1 min)

Anyone else hear the hints of a demonic choir?

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

O mais longo que consigo encontrar! Foda-se, AINDA me dá arrepios e pensar... no próximo mês, porra! Intro ou backing bed....Marco contribuiu muito para essa música mítica!

(1min 41 segundos de Geral)

Mais longo (começa em 1 min)

Alguém mais aqui tem dicas de um coro demoníaco?

4:04 min of The General, from Budapest (2006/06/31)

https://on.soundcloud.com/dicxi

• Like 2
  • Wow 3

21 minutes ago, mystery said:

Does anyone have information on the time-frame the General would have been recorded? It wasn't part of the Rough Mixes so it was post-2000 at least.

On the AFD podcast Brain said he wrote it in the time leading up to HOB 2001. I think Dizzy gave an interview in January 2005 where he said Brain had brought in The General "last year". Obviously this was years after the instrumental had been written by Brain (2000) and worked on by Beltrami (2002), so I'm guessing this is referring to when the full band worked on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mystery said:

Does anyone have information on the time-frame the General would have been recorded? It wasn't part of the Rough Mixes so it was post-2000 at least.

Beltrami came into the picture October 2002 to add his magic to The General, Soul Monster, Seven, and Thyme.

None of them had vocals at that point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LandOla said:

The more I think about, the more I believe it's gonna be just the instrumental track.

Care to elaborate? So far I'm gonna file this under "State Of Grace has become The General" conspiracy theories lol. Was Sebastian Bach lying in your opinion or how do you explain his description to come to that conclusion?

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

8 hours ago, matheus.binotti said:

4:04 min of The General, from Budapest (2006/06/31)

https://on.soundcloud.com/dicxi

wow, the higher brass instruments kicking in at around 3 mins 12 seconds!

that intro is so long, and it sounds epic too. It sounds like the soundtrack to creeping into a cave where there's an enormous monster slumbering somewhere, encountering an angel or a knight at around the 3 min 12 second mark, then continuing on alone into the darkness. It makes me think the one on the vinyl might be the cut down version, with the giant leadup shrunk down or cut out.

Despite the grandness of the higher brass instruments, i feel there's something sad/mournful about them. Like the angel/knight thinks you're going to die if you continue creeping further into the cave, and it has accepted that you will do it anyway.

The intro gives me the feeling of a person venturing to a place that's dreadful and dangerous, soon to be doomed. The vast rumbling of the low notes, along with those high anxious strings. And the angel appearing when the strings are the most prominent and sound the most anxious, then leaving the person alone back to the low rumbling, with the strings returning soon after...

awww. the recording cut out early, it didn't record until the intro to the next song. but it's such a great find and thing to exist anyway!

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Thanks 1