"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

29 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

To be fair, I think Brain in that interview said he "thought" Axl sang on it, or something to that effect. But that doesn't matter, because we know Axl sings on it because of that party clip, AND members who were there said they heard Axl singing on it, and that it was not the only song with Axl on it that they have not heard before.

What does your last sentence mean? Only song?

29 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Calm down lol

Same here… that solo on the cell phone clip sounds killer… it would be a damn shame to have slash replace it with some uninspired garbage like perhaps imo

I literally am usually one of the calmest people ever but this week I'm a tad frustrated how many times people are now thinking General is just the horror orchestra when so much else has already debunked that and I've said myself along with numerous others in this thread and folk just kept chiming in with "but....what if...." So excuse my french! 

1 hour ago, metalavenger99 said:

So if the general (lol) consensus here is that this news are bullshit, can someone explain why the fuck would Universal Italy say that? And if they are full of shit how did they got the delay of Perhaps right?

It's been a slow news day catching the mafia....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

What does your last sentence mean? Only song?

I meant to say at the Vienna after party there were unheard Guns songs playing, and The General was not the only one. There apparently was a piano driven rocker that was not Perhaps, and maybe more. 

Yeah, now that i think about this, The General might actually be untouched by Slash considering it is just a B-Side to a single, meaning it could be the original NuGNR version.
If that is so, and it actually is Vinyl only, it might make a little bit of sense because "technically" the song isn't a new release by the band, so the best place to put it out there is on an exclusive product that casuals probably won't be buying.

It being on that leaked setlist on the other hand might mean it is reworked if Slash & Duff are to play it live, but who knows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm calm. I'm just mildly annoyed with this band and I think that's very fair considering it's the first real unheard song since 2008, and only the 4th "new" track officially released since then. This is a very particular scenario.

To  relegate this as a physical copy in vinyl only would probably be a really bad publicity move, after all the good things that came with the release of Perhaps single and its video. And it's a real possibility. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skamos66 said:

Yeah, now that i think about this, The General might actually be untouched by Slash considering it is just a B-Side to a single, meaning it could be the original NuGNR version.
If that is so, and it actually is Vinyl only, it might make a little bit of sense because "technically" the song isn't a new release by the band, so the best place to put it out there is on an exclusive product that casuals probably won't be buying.

It being on that leaked setlist on the other hand might mean it is reworked if Slash & Duff are to play it live, but who knows.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see both Slash and Duff have co-writing credits on The General. There is no chance Guns releases anything without them both on it unless they leave again which I don’t see happening anytime soon. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Skamos66 said:

It's on the setlist for a tour that has Slash as guitarist....he's definitely touched it

• Haha 1

If anything it will be vinyl exclusive for the first few weeks or months only, to promote the vinyl sales. Not like it will be vinyl exclusive forever lmao.

But until it's officially released digitally all uploads will be taken down from youtube, soundcloud etc. with the automatic detection software.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

39 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

It's on the setlist for a tour that has Slash as guitarist....he's definitely touched it

Yes, but he does play CD every night and other nuGNR songs regularly... :ph34r:

I'm sure it's gonna have Slash and Duff, and be mixed like Perhaps and Absurd, but a CD era 'demo' of The General as a bonus track would be fucking incredible. It would almost be perfect closure for the CD era.

6 hours ago, dave94 said:

A bit OTT for all we know it could be a translation issue on our part or just a mistake. Either way it’s hardly a serious illegal act, I don’t think anyone really cares whether a €15 vinyl is also made digital or not… if it was a €1500 limited edition then maybe, but it isn’t.

It will inevitably find its way online unofficially pretty quickly anyway and my guess is it will eventually be made available via the normal platforms after a short while, unless it’s really not worth listening to and it is genuinely only B side quality material 

I don't know about Italy's consumer laws, but in my country, a deliberate misrepresentation in commerce and advertising like that could breach consumer laws.

https://iclg.com/practice-areas/consumer-protection-laws-and-regulations/italy

"In addition, and to complement the above provisions, Section 21 et seq. of the Code prohibits so-called “misleading practices”, meaning commercial practices distorting the economic choices of consumers by, for instance, containing false information or omitting relevant information in relation to the existence or nature of the product, or its main characteristics (e.g. its availability, benefits, risks, execution, composition, accessories, aftersales assistance and complaint handling, method and date of manufacture or provision, delivery, fitness for purpose, usage, geographical or commercial origin or the results to be expected from its use, etc.).  See also the answer to question 4.1 below."

I don't work in the legal area, so I don't know if it applies, but if a digital release of The General is planned very soon, misrepresenting its availability by saying it will NEVER be available digitally could be seen as distorting consumers to choose to buy a vinyl record, and possibly a breach of consumer law, if they keep benefiting from it and make no attempt to rectify it.

Taylor Swift had some physically exclusive tracks that were eventually released digitally months later. And they were just advertised as exclusive to those physical media, not never will be available digitally. As loving as some fans are to Taylor, and collect all the multiple CDs and vinyls and cassettes and versions of the same album, even that sort of "Capitalist-Queen" move of advertising something as never will be available digitally, then having it available become digitally soon after, would piss those diehards off. The diehards would feel betrayed, "Why would Taylor lie to us like this!?, Of course she's trying to push more records" etc.

So I hope Universal Italy clarifies what's going on. The official GNR site isn't doing that, and same with the other Universal subgroups.

Edited by BucketEgg
more text to compare releases of other physically exclusive tracks
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

I don't know about Italy's consumer laws, but in my country, a deliberate misrepresentation in commerce and advertising like that could breach consumer laws.

https://iclg.com/practice-areas/consumer-protection-laws-and-regulations/italy

"In addition, and to complement the above provisions, Section 21 et seq. of the Code prohibits so-called “misleading practices”, meaning commercial practices distorting the economic choices of consumers by, for instance, containing false information or omitting relevant information in relation to the existence or nature of the product, or its main characteristics (e.g. its availability, benefits, risks, execution, composition, accessories, aftersales assistance and complaint handling, method and date of manufacture or provision, delivery, fitness for purpose, usage, geographical or commercial origin or the results to be expected from its use, etc.).  See also the answer to question 4.1 below."

I don't work in the legal area, so I don't know if it applies, but if a digital release of The General is planned very soon, misrepresenting its availability by saying it will NEVER be available digitally could be seen as distorting consumers to choose to buy a vinyl record, and possibly a breach of consumer law, if they keep benefiting from it and make no attempt to rectify it.

I just think the Universal team assigned to GNR doesn't have their shit together on messaging. They pushed Perhaps out there with a press release and product description that they had to change after the fact. It wouldn't be surprising if they forgot to get all their international branches in line on the same messaging.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I just think the Universal team assigned to GNR doesn't have their shit together on messaging. They pushed Perhaps out there with a press release and product description that they had to change after the fact. It wouldn't be surprising if they forgot to get all their international branches in line on the same messaging.

Yeah. What is Universal Italy even doing? Even if they haven't received any notice that The General will be available digitally, they could leave out the whole " non uscirà mai in digitale" bolded text part of the page, and the page would still be functional, and they wouldn't have to worry about being scrutinised for lying or misrepresentation if plans change, or if a digital release really is soon planned.

Edited by BucketEgg

4 hours ago, Skamos66 said:

To me the most likely situation is that The General is only part of the Perhaps single to both bring attention to the vinyl single as well as to drum up hype and discussion for the song's release.  And The General more likely than not be given its own digital release just as Perhaps, Hard Skool, and Absurd

IMO is no way GNR will release a Slash-less song ever again unless Slash leaves the band again

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I really want to start a petition to have "The General being a B-Side to the Perhaps single doesn't mean it is being regarded/disregarded or treated as a lesser release pinned at the top of this forum lol

Yes, please. a B-side in the current vinyl track is literally just another track on the single release. It's not a non-album (that doesn't apply here) or lesser track.

41 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Nonsense like this drives me mad! 

You follow a band where Slash is the legendary guitarist who has written over 90% of the iconic riffs and solo's that get played at their live show. 

And you don't want that man to play a solo on the new song that we've never heard because he has 1 solo you don't like? 

There are still quite a few NuGuns fans around here, who like the more modern sound of Chinese Democracy.

Slash isn't a great fit on these songs, and I really like Slash.

In an ideal world I'd rather have them write new songs with Slash and throw the Chinese stuff away. Or completely rerecord them in a way that fits Slash and Duff, instead of the copy / paste stuff we get.

Slash really shines as a bluesy hard rock guitarist.

• Like 1