"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

13 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

How fucked would it be if Guns pressed Evader's The General on the vinyl, thus the no digital release? :P 

:rofl-lol:

1 minute ago, Nick85 said:

So we’ve reach the point now where it’s  weird that this still isn’t out yet digitally, right? Same day as physical release then?

Yes

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SlashisGOD said:

I always thought Leave Me Alone was on that fake tracklist from Rolling Stone, the same that had Cock-a-Roach Soup.

Where did Rolling Stone get those titles anyway? From Axl?

Cock-a-Roach Soup was fake but Axl confirmed Leave Me Alone was real in one of the 2008 chats, and also said Leave Me Alone was a working title for Soul Monster: https://www.a-4-d.com/t7988-soul-monster

54 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

So we’ve reach the point now where it’s  weird that this still isn’t out yet digitally, right? Same day as physical release then?

It’s categorised as a B-side, don’t see any reason why it would get the ‘single’ treatment. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

It’s categorised as a B-side, don’t see any reason why it would get the ‘single’ treatment. 

Wasn't Absurd the B-side to Hard Skool? 

Not that it matters, NITL has put out three "new" singles since 2021, so there's not enough "data" to make reliable predictions on how subsequent releases are handled, IMO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Agreed. But if they plan to play it live (as per Richard), I don't see how they have a live new song without it being readily available to stream. Imo. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Wasn't Absurd the B-side to Hard Skool? 

Not that it matters, NITL has put out three "new" singles since 2021, so there's not enough "data" to make reliable predictions on how subsequent releases are handled, IMO.

Absurd wasn’t announced ahead of time as being a B-side, however.

• Like 1

Just now, Cosmo said:

This thread has been 50 out of 93 pages of people saying "it's only a B-side" and people responding "that doesn't mean anything". And then comes a list of great songs that were B-sides and 5 posts later, we're back to "it's only a B-side"

Actually is a R-Side... 😂

• Haha 1

I keep speculating how they might be able to fuck this one up.....can they? 

I'm not keen on the 'no CD' approach of releasing it at all, but as long as we get a decent quality digital option the sound quality will hopefully be ok......or will they do something awful to it? Compress the fuck out of it? Brick wall it? 

I don't trust them one bit! 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Coma16 said:

I still find it strange that there isn't a CD option with a few more additional live tracks. Something gives...

It would be great if we got The General, Perhaps, Atlas, and maybe one or more "new" songs, all mastered by the master master, Bob Ludwig prior to his recent retirement, with some nicely mixed covers and/or live songs for November. Would be a great stocking stuffer! I'd buy it 3-4 times per physical media type. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cosmo said:

This thread has been 50 out of 93 pages of people saying "it's only a B-side" and people responding "that doesn't mean anything". And then comes a list of great songs that were B-sides and 5 posts later, we're back to "it's only a B-side"

Pretty much. "B/R-side" is both a literal term as in the back side of a record and a figurative term for "non-album" track. There are not enough Tuesdays left in the year for this forum to come to a consensus on what B/R-side means in context of the General.

9 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

They probably already have, assuming they had Slash record over Robin/Buckethead leads. :( 

There is zero chance they haven't done that. 

I'd love to hear it with Robin/Buckethead but I think it's highly likely that recording is in the 'rot on the floor rather than let the fans hear it' pile. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

There is zero chance they haven't done that. 

I'd love to hear it with Robin/Buckethead but I think it's highly likely that recording is in the 'rot on the floor rather than let the fans hear it' pile. 

I know it’s wishful thinking, but I do hope those older versions leak once it’s out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix said:

I know it’s wishful thinking, but I do hope those older versions leak once it’s out.

Can anyone say with any kind of certainty that those older versions are out there be hoarded or is it just a bunch of hear say?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick85 said:

I think it would be weirder if they released it digitally before the vinyl they put The General on specifically to help push sales of physical product comes out - my guess is either on the day of the vinyl release or even a couple of days after

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Me too. I think they would have leaked by now though if it was going to happen. 

I agree, we have had CD since 2008, and have yet to have any earlier versions of Shackler's Revenge, Scraped, This I Love, and Sorry leak (not counting Village instrumentals).

My hope is any active folks with uncirculated CD era mixes of unreleased songs are waiting to share/sell/trade/leak until official versions our out, to minimize legal attention/harming the band if they leak.

But I do know with 100% certainly there's material out there that has not leaked, that is outside of the band and their associates. So we are likely to hear more, eventually. I've never heard of anyone having The General though. Only Leave Me Alone/Soul Monster, Seven, alts of OMG and Silkworms, and maybe a few others I can't recall.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I agree, we have had CD since 2008, and have yet to have any earlier versions of Shackler's Revenge, Scraped, This I Love, and Sorry leak (not counting Village instrumentals).

My hope is any active folks with uncirculated CD era mixes of unreleased songs are waiting to share/sell/trade/leak until official versions our out, to minimize legal attention/harming the band if they leak.

But I do know with 100% certainly there's material out there that has not leaked, that is outside of the band and their associates. So we are likely to hear more, eventually. I've never heard of anyone having The General though. Only Leave Me Alone/Soul Monster, Seven, alts of OMG and Silkworms, and maybe a few others I can't recall.

I believe Zodiac(with Vocals) people have as well

24 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

It’s crazy that the rest of these tracks have never leaked. They have to have been in private circulation for years now. I have no idea how other hard core fan bases operate (because I’m only a hardcore GNR fan) but I cannot imagine people not wanting to share music with other fans. I know in the past these unreleased songs brought a lot of unwanted attention and legal issues for some people but at this point I doubt any leak would get any media attention and really only about a thousand people would even care. 

Edited by Arnuld

23 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

It’s crazy that the rest of these tracks have never leaked. They have to have been in private circulation for years now. I have no idea how other hard core fan bases operate (because I’m only a hardcore GNR fan) but I cannot imagine people not wanting to share music with other fans. I know in the past these unreleased songs brought a lot of unwanted attention and legal issues for some people but at this point I doubt any leak would get any media attention and really only about a thousand people would even care. 

I guess I am getting old! I could've sworn earlier and alternate versions existed... My memory is not as sharp as it used to be. I used to have CDs full of the live boots and demos from all eras, and every little snippet before 2008, but they have been long gone.

I was always super keen on the insider trading thing. I was never a part of it, but the tales were always fun to read.