"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

53 minutes ago, Wabby said:

I believe Zodiac(with Vocals) people have as well

Rick D claims to have it, an earlier Hardschool with alt Axl take, and an Axl piano song, but I have my doubts about that. (I'm sure we would have them by now if he had them)

52 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

It’s crazy that the rest of these tracks have never leaked. They have to have been in private circulation for years now. I have no idea how other hard core fan bases operate (because I’m only a hardcore GNR fan) but I cannot imagine people not wanting to share music with other fans. I know in the past these unreleased songs brought a lot of unwanted attention and legal issues for some people but at this point I doubt any leak would get any media attention and really only about a thousand people would even care. 

The guy who leaked the 9 songs in 2008 has a nice three page article on his AntiQuiet site, and on one of those pages he says during that time, others reached out who had stuff he didn't, he said there were about ten other tracks that were out there. He doesn't recall who or specifics, but he was played bits and said some of it was really good. Of those ten or so tracks, I'm sure some of it still hasn't leaked or wasn't on the 2008 album.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I agree, we have had CD since 2008, and have yet to have any earlier versions of Shackler's Revenge, Scraped, This I Love, and Sorry leak (not counting Village instrumentals).

My hope is any active folks with uncirculated CD era mixes of unreleased songs are waiting to share/sell/trade/leak until official versions our out, to minimize legal attention/harming the band if they leak.

But I do know with 100% certainly there's material out there that has not leaked, that is outside of the band and their associates. So we are likely to hear more, eventually. I've never heard of anyone having The General though. Only Leave Me Alone/Soul Monster, Seven, alts of OMG and Silkworms, and maybe a few others I can't recall.

Going from how similar Sorry is from the Village leak, there probably isn't a version as such in between that (2000) and whenever the song was done vocally, pre 2006 obviously. It's just lacking the vocal but was pretty close to the final version instrumentally even back in 2000. 

2 hours ago, kever20 said:

I guess I am getting old! I could've sworn earlier and alternate versions existed... My memory is not as sharp as it used to be. I used to have CDs full of the live boots and demos from all eras, and every little snippet before 2008, but they have been long gone.

I was always super keen on the insider trading thing. I was never a part of it, but the tales were always fun to read.

I had alot/ if not all of the old snippets/demos but unfortunately back in 2010 my old house was broken into and all my cds were stolen along with alot of other stuff but eventually was able to gather up most of it back so have it all digitally now. I pretty much have various demos from all eras plus all studio albums and EPs. I still try to find stuff I either havent heard and/or dont have here and there. One day I will get around to putting all these tracks on cd. Lol 

• Sad 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

6 hours ago, Coma16 said:

I still find it strange that there isn't a CD option with a few more additional live tracks. Something gives...

That gets announced as the double dip on Oct 28th. Signed by Fernando. 

6 hours ago, Cosmo said:

This thread has been 50 out of 93 pages of people saying "it's only a B-side" and people responding "that doesn't mean anything". And then comes a list of great songs that were B-sides and 5 posts later, we're back to "it's only a B-side"

Your eyes must be sore....

2 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Going from how similar Sorry is from the Village leak, there probably isn't a version as such in between that (2000) and whenever the song was done vocally, pre 2006 obviously. It's just lacking the vocal but was pretty close to the final version instrumentally even back in 2000. 

Sebastian Bach described Sorry as doom metal when he heard it before CD was released, which is closer in description to the Village version. It had lyrics then too, as he was singing to it, which gave Axl the idea to include him on the final version. This was in 2006 or 2007. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Sebastian Bach described Sorry as doom metal when he heard it before CD was released, which is closer in description to the Village version. It had lyrics then too, as he was singing to it, which gave Axl the idea to include him on the final version. This was in 2006 or 2007. 

Yeah I've said this a few times. We always mocked Baz for saying the doom metal thing but when you hear the Village leak it's true, the guitars in the chorus are absurdly heavy! One of the heaviest Guns moments I'd say. He was right. It's the problem with the album though, all the depth was knocked out of the songs for a lighter almost poppier edge. Understandable though. 

17 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Yeah I've said this a few times. We always mocked Baz for saying the doom metal thing but when you hear the Village leak it's true, the guitars in the chorus are absurdly heavy! One of the heaviest Guns moments I'd say. He was right. It's the problem with the album though, all the depth was knocked out of the songs for a lighter almost poppier edge. Understandable though. 

makes sense that the leaked version of the instrumental Sorry sounds like doom metal cause it's a Bucket tune and metal is a big component of his sound. The official version of Chinese is my favorite, except the Catcher demo and live versions of Madagascar, but I wish the drums, bass, and the production had more balls to them, more power like some of the leaked versions. Why do you think it's understandable that Axl went with a softer version for the official release? just curious.

37 minutes ago, Rovim said:

makes sense that the leaked version of the instrumental Sorry sounds like doom metal cause it's a Bucket tune and metal is a big component of his sound. The official version of Chinese is my favorite, except the Catcher demo and live versions of Madagascar, but I wish the drums, bass, and the production had more balls to them, more power like some of the leaked versions. Why do you think it's understandable that Axl went with a softer version for the official release? just curious.

Just from the era it came out I think. To give it a more timeless sound and something palatable for 2008. Rather than the agressive nu metal sound of the 2000 stuff. 

• PERHAPS 1

36 minutes ago, NewGNROldGNR said:

I had too much free time and did the math. The last 3 Guns N' Roses singles contain 44 Hey's, the last 3 Metallica singles contain 0 Yeah's. Even if you use the live single from the 72 Seasons tour, it's 44 to 0 :lol:

Over/Under on The General containing at least one Hey?

I assume that you count the ayy-ay's as hey's in Hard Skool cause the official lyrics of Absurd and Hard Skool have 0 actual hey's in them.

6 hours ago, NewGNROldGNR said:

I had too much free time and did the math. The last 3 Guns N' Roses singles contain 44 Hey's, the last 3 Metallica singles contain 0 Yeah's. Even if you use the live single from the 72 Seasons tour, it's 44 to 0 :lol:

Over/Under on The General containing at least one Hey?

That’s peak data science here.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

I fucking loved the Village mix of I’m Sorry with those guitars, except I didn’t like how they messed with Bucket’s solo on it with that effect.

19 hours ago, Sweersa said:

The guy who leaked the 9 songs in 2008 has a nice three page article on his AntiQuiet site, and on one of those pages he says during that time, others reached out who had stuff he didn't, he said there were about ten other tracks that were out there. He doesn't recall who or specifics, but he was played bits and said some of it was really good. Of those ten or so tracks, I'm sure some of it still hasn't leaked or wasn't on the 2008 album.

Do you have a link? I quickly googled and couldn't find it. Sounds super interesting and I don't remember reading it.

9 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

Do you have a link? I quickly googled and couldn't find it. Sounds super interesting and I don't remember reading it.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t7148-2014-01-06-antiquet-blog-the-full-story-behind-our-chinese-democracy-leak

(I guess the bit towards the end is what @Sweersa is referring to)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks!! Just re-read it and I remembered some parts of it. I guess I read it years ago and forgot about it. Very interesting reading to go back to :thumbsup:

Edited by Twinaleblood
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, gunsnchalupas said:

New Guns N' Roses music doesn't matter to most people so I doubt it leaks until after the vinyl ships out. 

At best, maybe they accidentally ship them earlier than the 27th. 

Yeah I wonder if calling it a B-side was also to completely low-ball its importance in terms of leaks. Agree on the point that new GNR music doesn’t matter to most people, and even to people it does matter to it’s an absolute fraction of that for people on this board, so maybe it’s a tactic to downplay significance to avoid it leaking.