THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

On Absurd I suppose she replaced whatever Ptiman played originally, maybe the bridge? I would think that Dizzy plays the main keyboard parts, since he co-wrote the song.

Hard Skool, I have no idea. I didn't even notice there was a keyboard, then people pointed out that there is a keyboard low in the mix, but wouldn't it make more sense if it was Dizzy?

I don't know about the drums on SOYL. I'm not good at noticing differences. But just going by what has been said (Steven said he didn't recognize his drumming on it and Frank, when asked if he was on it, avoided answering and just said "that's a question for management"), I'd say that it could be Frank.

Maybe she added in the school bell, lol.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lelex95 said:

It’s coming out in 37 hours, there’s a count down on YouTube and they uploaded a little documentary on the making of the song. 

Now thats how you release a song. So excited for it. 

Did anyone get a copy of the youtube video where someone combined both songs TG & Monsters? 

Edited by jimisbatman

53 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Yeah I'm sure it just miraculously and instantaneously appeared on your screen.

You get dumber by the post. Just go back to your 10000000% sure of everything posts. That's your comfort zone.

I love you with all my heart

11 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Now thats how you release a song. So excited for it. 

Did anyone get a copy of the youtube video where someone combined both songs TG & Monsters? 

i have that, but it monsters first and general second. 

10 hours ago, dave94 said:

It’s a “grower”, after a few more listens it gets better. I do hope though they tidy up the vocals as they aren’t clear enough in the mix and the distortion effect just doesn’t sound very good

It’s supposed to sound like that. Creator’s choice. 

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Absurd: There were no specific credits except for Brain on drums. But we know that Slash (of course), Duff and Fortus are on it and Melissa says on her website that she's on it, too.

Hard Skool: No credits, but we know for sure that Slash, Duff, and Fortus are on it. The drums have been a matter for debate. Most people thought it was Frank, but according to Melissa's website it's Brain and she's on it, too.

Perhaps: We have detailed official credits. Slash, Duff, Fortus, Brain, Axl on piano, Dizzy on keyboards.

The Melissa on Absurd thing.... The keys are the same as on the 2006 mix, it's Pitman and Dizzy. 

With Hard Skool there no room for her on it, that single line organ part was probably there for a decade and a half, unless they scrapped it and chose her to come in the studio rather than Dizzy to play single note key lines. So again, I don't think she's on it. 

• Like 2

I dont think they have scrapped State of Grace and i dont think that Monsters is a new iteration of the General - these songs share some ot the same musical themes and structures, but they are also different and compeltely new lyrics etc. 

I found out that this is a killer combo for a new playlist:

General (with string intro)

Monsters

State of Grace

OH my God

Perhaps

4 minutes ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

Can somebody tell me what the fuck is goin’ onnn goddammnnit

Nothing, just another fool ignoring arguments and thinking his opinions are superior and anyone thinking otherwise is an idiot. We’ve been here before, GNR or not. I can see I’ve just made several posts in vain. 

"There's a year worth of study for psychiatrists in these 108 pages"

It has descended to a bit of chaos par for course.....

We're at the lull period....the initial rush of newness and excitement has passed....we discussed to death all the possibilities and then some....and now we're in the trenches until 8/12 or 12/8....whichever floats your boat....

Edited by colonizedmind

After a few days listening (a lot) I definitely enjoy TG more than Monsters if we view them as individual tracks. 

Love the power chords and high pitched chorus etc. Really interesting song. Monsters is very good but mainly for the final 2 mins bridge and outro guitar which is clearly slash.  

Overall I really like both songs and hope they are released as one, they are better when combined imo. The songs individually are like a 7/10 for me but combined I'd go for an 8/10. 

Not as good as TWAT or Prostitute but very good songs that hold your interest. Quite different to perhaps and Hardskool which are classic little rockers. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

This thread had turned into a monster hadn’t it. Generally it’s quite amazing to see its development.

In general, it’s an absurd hard school of life to see what soul monsters some people perhaps prostitute themselves to, isn’t it...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bangit said:

After a few days listening (a lot) I definitely enjoy TG more than Monsters if we view them as individual tracks. 

Love the power chords and high pitched chorus etc. Really interesting song. Monsters is very good but mainly for the final 2 mins bridge and outro guitar which is clearly slash.  

Overall I really like both songs and hope they are released as one, they are better when combined imo. The songs individually are like a 7/10 for me but combined I'd go for an 8/10. 

Not as good as TWAT or Prostitute but very good songs that hold your interest. Quite different to perhaps and Hardskool which are classic little rockers. 

The general is more interesting for me. Monsters was more accessible at first but it gets repetitive fast. 
It’s better as the second part of the general than it is on its own to my taste. 

3 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

The Melissa on Absurd thing.... The keys are the same as on the 2006 mix, it's Pitman and Dizzy. 

With Hard Skool there no room for her on it, that single line organ part was probably there for a decade and a half, unless they scrapped it and chose her to come in the studio rather than Dizzy to play single note key lines. So again, I don't think she's on it. 

She’s on other things though 😉 

3 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I have removed all the off-topic chat and arguments.

Feel free to make a Beatles thread in the right section.

Feel free to insult each other but do it via PM and not on the forum.

Have a nice day :D

Don’t know what to tell ya now. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Thanks 1