THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

7 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

After listening to these two tracks a bunch it’s obviously Slash on Soul Monster. But I’m not sure about the general. The more I listen to it it sounds more like Robin and then Bucket on that outro. Is anyone else thinking the same? 

To my ears, Monsters sounds more recent, a bit better mixed/mastered, and has Slash on guitar.  TG seems like it could date further back, muddier mix and maybe, just maybe has someone else on guitar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

My interpretation is that "The General" could be a reference to the father in the narrative, like perhaps he ran the household more like a military general instead of like a father, hence the abusive nature of it all

It would be interesting to hear how Axl went about writing the song, he very well could have seen the placeholder title and got the entire idea for the song's theme on that - in which case the song's title still fitting (or at least is no longer about Brain eating a popular chicken dish :lol:)

I think Brain trolls the hell outta the fanbase with stories like that. I don’t believe it for a second haha. 

• Like 1

We talked to death whether it's Slash or Slash on the tracks (guess my opinion!!) Like flogging Molly to the afterworld! What's been far less discussed and I would be real Interested in some of you other die hard, smart minds out there....theories please (sure they'll be some cray ones)

These tracks appearing on original release day...

Where ? How ? Why? (Depending on how you answer, I'll follow up with a theory or two)

Edited by colonizedmind

To my ears, Monsters is definitely Slash on lead. Without doubt.

The General on the other hand doesn't sound like him at all. To me. The General, in general, sounds more low quality than Monsters, so I think it might be an older Slash-less demo. Not implying that Monsters is an updated version of The General, because they clearly are different songs.   

• Like 1

@evadergot the call from Axl yet to save them and sort the final mix and thus save us from what we're mastering, the mastery of circles....and circles....and.....🔴

1 minute ago, nycgunner said:

How do you guys find these songs?  Not asking for a link. Just trying to sort this out! Don’t check the forum for a week and this development happens…

So there were these two guys called Chad and Steve and they had a dream to create a video sharing website....

3 minutes ago, crd26 said:

Sounds like Zakk Wylde style but surely not

95 try-out rehearsal confirmed!!!

30 minutes ago, nycgunner said:

How do you guys find these songs?  Not asking for a link. Just trying to sort this out! Don’t check the forum for a week and this development happens…

It appears and disappears on YT. You have to search for it from time to time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arnuld said:

After listening to these two tracks a bunch it’s obviously Slash on Soul Monster. But I’m not sure about the general. The more I listen to it it sounds more like Robin and then Bucket on that outro. Is anyone else thinking the same? 

Gotta admit I thought the same. But I've deferred to the guitar players on the board to say whats what. But at first glance as someone who's listened to Slash and Bucket for countless hours, I thought General was BH and Monsters was Slash. To my "novice" ears at least.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Gotta admit I thought the same. But I've deferred to the guitar players on the board to say whats what. But at first glance as someone who's listened to Slash and Bucket for countless hours, I thought General was BH and Monsters was Slash. To my "novice" ears at least.

The only question to me (many others seem to be very confident about it) is, if it's Richard at the very end of Monsters. It's like I'm changing my mind three times during one listen in those last 15 seconds :lol: damn that sucks.

7 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

The only question to me (many others seem to be very confident about it) is, if it's Richard at the very end of Monsters. It's like I'm changing my mind three times during one listen in those last 15 seconds :lol: damn that sucks.

Who else do you feel it could be? 

To be honest, the first time I listened to it, that part felt like Slash trying to play like Robin. But then I noticed the tone change and certain nuances which made me fairly certain that it's Richard. The phrasing and tone is quite similar to what I've seen him play live. 

One of the nuances I noticed is how he does a quick slide in and out certain notes (don't know how to describe it better). You can also hear him do the same thing in the part that he plays in the chorus of Madagascar if you listen closely. I've noticed Robin doing it sometimes too but it sounds slightly different.

Truthfully, I haven't listened to Richard and Robin outside of GnR so I could be totally wrong but to me it just makes sense that Richard would be the one playing on a mix that has Slash on it too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avahland said:

Jorge GS on Facebook has a link to his Soundcloud

Which 'Jorge GS'? theres loads of them and I'm having no luck locating the right one...lol, I've heard the songs a fair few times when they hit on Friday, but would love to play for my mate and see what he thinks of them.

15 minutes ago, mister mosh said:

Which 'Jorge GS'? theres loads of them and I'm having no luck locating the right one...lol, I've heard the songs a fair few times when they hit on Friday, but would love to play for my mate and see what he thinks of them.

My mail box seems to be unable sending messages now.

Not sure if they were sent.

Will try again tomorrow....midnight here now...zzzz

1 hour ago, 22frets said:

Who else do you feel it could be? 

To be honest, the first time I listened to it, that part felt like Slash trying to play like Robin. But then I noticed the tone change and certain nuances which made me fairly certain that it's Richard. The phrasing and tone is quite similar to what I've seen him play live. 

One of the nuances I noticed is how he does a quick slide in and out certain notes (don't know how to describe it better). You can also hear him do the same thing in the part that he plays in the chorus of Madagascar if you listen closely. I've noticed Robin doing it sometimes too but it sounds slightly different.

Truthfully, I haven't listened to Richard and Robin outside of GnR so I could be totally wrong but to me it just makes sense that Richard would be the one playing on a mix that has Slash on it too. 

Exactly. I’ve said the same earlier in the thread (or maybe it was the old one that got locked). Even posted some live example of Richard playing that fast back and forth descending lick.

I can’t say with 100% sure, but I guess it’s pretty close to it, that it’s Richard indeed. 

• Like 1