THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

3 hours ago, alfa75 said:

To my ears, Monsters sounds more recent, a bit better mixed/mastered, and has Slash on guitar.  TG seems like it could date further back, muddier mix and maybe, just maybe has someone else on guitar.

This is what I was thinking as well. Monsters just has a cleaner more polished sound. I guess we will know soon enough 

14 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

The Melissa on Absurd thing.... The keys are the same as on the 2006 mix, it's Pitman and Dizzy. 

With Hard Skool there no room for her on it, that single line organ part was probably there for a decade and a half, unless they scrapped it and chose her to come in the studio rather than Dizzy to play single note key lines. So again, I don't think she's on it. 

I don't think they would leave Pitman on the track.

I agree about Hard Skool. It doesn't make much sense that it would be Melissa and not Dizzy, but maybe she did something else on it (the bell, as someone said :lol:)

2 hours ago, Its Tino said:

Can someone remind me how the we know the “cell phone leak” is The General? Did Axl announce it over the PA system or something? :lol:

https://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/226314-monsterssoul-monster-new-information-from-marco-beltrami-leaves-no-room-for-doubt/?do=findComment&comment=5046542

It kind of makes sense if “The General” drops tonight, especially at midnight EST… by then, folks at the Hollywood Bowl probably would’ve heard it live already and then everyone gets the official release.

Edited by GNRRHCP98

1 minute ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

It kind of makes sense if “The General” drops tonight, especially at midnight EST… by then, folks at the Hollywood Bowl probably would’ve heard it live already and then everyone gets the official release.

Would also explain why GNR all of a sudden pops up when you search for it on Apple Music… ;)

55 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think they would leave Pitman on the track.

I agree about Hard Skool. It doesn't make much sense that it would be Melissa and not Dizzy, but maybe she did something else on it (the bell, as someone said :lol:)

https://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/226314-monsterssoul-monster-new-information-from-marco-beltrami-leaves-no-room-for-doubt/?do=findComment&comment=5046542

Gracias

15 hours ago, jamillos said:

In general, it’s an absurd hard school of life to see what soul monsters some people perhaps prostitute themselves to, isn’t it...

You TWAT...

6 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

I know it's been discussed but it is still lost on me why it would still be called "The General" if the title originally comes from what Brain was eating at the time.

Would love to know why Axl decided to keep that "placeholder" title for a song with seemingly very deep subject matter.

I know it's been discussed but it is still lost on me why it would still be called "The General" if the title originally comes from what Brain was eating at the time.

Would love to know why Axl decided to keep that "placeholder" title for a song with seemingly very deep subject matter.

Brain said they were eating "General's Chicken". WTF is that? Does he mean General Tso's chicken? I've never heard of a brand named General's chicken.

Honestly, I bet Axl just kept it because it sounded cool and the lack of connection to the lyrics makes it mysterious. He said he chose the name Chinese Democracy because it just sounded cool. Or like "Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul". Did anyone really think there were going to be lyrics about Elvis Presley?

2 minutes ago, nycgunner said:

Is this Slash on Monsters and The General?

These are some wild Chinese-era sounds. What was Axl doing? Wish he had shared this stuff in the prime CD years.  

The General definitely disappoints. Not the “super heavy” song Sebastian Bach described 

Ever give any thought to the fact "super heavy" may describe the song lyrically not musically?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

The General clips from the soundcheck don’t let any doubt that the live version is exactly the same as the leak. 

Hope they actually end up playing it and we get the closure that we desperately need. I'm getting tired debating about this topic. :wacko:

Edit: APPARENTLY THEY JUST PLAYED IT!!! 

Edited by 22frets
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Tonight with The General only being played live does play into my theory of The General being on the Perhaps single and Monsters, part 2 of the saga being on like an Atlas single or something

Yeah, certainly two separate songs now.  Puts that legal registration into question, but, also interesting for me that no Monsters on the Perhaps vinyl might mean that we're guaranteed at least one other track to go along with it on another future release.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

Soooooo is Monsters a hidden track? 😢 or are we gonna have to wait two more years for the Atlas/Monsters combo vinyl

What Atlas vinyl? This seems to be a rumour started within the fanbase that's got legs. What concrete evidence have we got that it's coming?

Just now, DoMw94 said:

What Atlas vinyl? This seems to be a rumour started within the fanbase that's got legs. What concrete evidence have we got that it's coming?

None whatsoever lol

i figured Atlas is going to be one of the tracks Slash and Duff tinkered with and the pattern for the last 3 years has been 2 tracks every 2 years. Monsters has come out of nowhere, so I coupled the two together.

point being for me, tonight is irrefutable evidence that despite the legal name of the General, Monsters is a separate track altogether. Therefore, we shouldn’t expect it with the Perhaps vinyl.

• Like 1

Just now, Blackstar said:

To me the fact that they have been registered together logically means that they are being released together - not as one song, but as part of the same release. Unless the registration was a mistake.

The fact that Fernando said "The General is a monster" on Reddit two months ago makes me feel there is a connection for sure. 

• Like 4

Another possibility is that they originally intended to release them together (probably with Monsters as a hidden track) and that's why they were registered together, but then they found out that the quality on the 7'' was very low, so they sent it again for pressing without Monsters.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Another possibility is that they originally intended to release them together (probably with Monsters as a hidden track) and that's why they were registered together, but then they found out that the quality on the 7'' was very low, so they sent it again for pressing without Monsters.

Great theory! It would also explain why these songs leaked together. 

• Like 1