THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

7 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

Can anyone explain how the general is related to estranged? Sebastian said back in like 2007 that he heard the general and Axl said it wouldn’t be released until 2012, it was part of a trilogy or continuation of estranged? Maybe I’m remembering something wrong? 

I think the key message is to take anything Baz says with a pinch of salt. For instance, he clearly mistook Monsters for The General. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gunner55 said:

No he definitely said that Axl said that. I personally don't buy it, or just don't see it. But whatever, it doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the song in any way. 

Don't know what to tell you now. It's never really what they tell you now.

• GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

Can anyone explain how the general is related to estranged? Sebastian said back in like 2007 that he heard the general and Axl said it wouldn’t be released until 2012, it was part of a trilogy or continuation of estranged? Maybe I’m remembering something wrong? 

I do wonder if Bach misheard or misinterpreted what Axl was saying - it is hard to really find a connection thematically between three songs about romantic love and loneliness connected by the "Del James music video trilogy" (Don't Cry, NR, Estranged) and then a song about growing up with an abusive father figure that doesn't reference any other theme but that childhood situation

Although "Monsters" would thematically fit if you interpret the lyrics from a reteospective on a failed relationship as opposed to a reteospective on an abusive father figure.  So I have no idea what to make of it all lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

I think the key message is to take anything Baz says with a pinch of salt. For instance, he clearly mistook Monsters for The General. 

His description of The General would definitely apply to the chorus though.

"One of my favorite songs is this song called "The General", which is so… it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think ive ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, peircing vocals, screaming vocals"

It's quite possible the guitars in that section were from Bucket and were more "metal" than this version although Slash's guitars on the chorus are thick and heavy.

Edited by Mikey Whipwreck
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I do wonder if Bach misheard or misinterpreted what Axl was saying - it is hard to really find a connection thematically between three songs about romantic love and loneliness connected by the "Del James music video trilogy" (Don't Cry, NR, Estranged) and then a song about growing up with an abusive father figure that doesn't reference any other theme but that childhood situation

Although "Monsters" would thematically fit if you interpret the lyrics from a reteospective on a failed relationship as opposed to a reteospective on an abusive father figure.  So I have no idea what to make of it all lol

Pretty much where I’m at with it too

8 hours ago, Towelie said:

They need to put all the singles out on one vinyl. 

1. Absurd 

2. Hard Skool

3. Perhaps

4. The General

6. Monster.

7. Atlas Shrugged

^^^ I'd pay good money for that vinyl.

Chuck in a studio version of Wichita Lineman to justify all the live performances and you've got a deal

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I don't understand why Axl is to blame for not wanting to reunite back then, especially since he invested so much of himself in Chinese and probably wanted his work to get the chance it deserved after all this time. Regardless of the chances of Chinese commercially, it was Azoff's job to do what Axl wanted him to do, and like I've said already, if you can't do it or you have different plans, then don't pretend that your goal is to satisfy your client when it isn't.

This is the power of denial. It was over in 2008. NO ONE cared about CD anymore except people like us. It was too late. But if a reunion had come shortly after the CD release Slash and Duff could have done the songs live, more people would have been aware of the album, it would have sold better and they would have made a boatload of money touring. Win. Win. Win. Why would a top industry manager placate you if they knew your choices were going to make everything less successful? GNR was almost at the theater/county fair level in the US by 2014.  So Axl was completely wrong in 2008 hence the 2016 reunion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Oh yeah cause after that first show in 2001 GNR played the Staples Center and Dodger Stadium in LA without Slash all the time, and certainly weren't relegated to the Wiltern theater by 2012?  :lol:

And Rock in Rio certainly wasn't a large scale music festival that drew in huge crowds for the entire festival and all the bands there? Lol

You don't know shit what you're talking about!

Were you there at Rock in Rio 01 among three hundred thousand people?

I was at Rock in Rio 01 almost every night and lost count of the Guns shows from 01 to 2022.

You have no idea what Rock in Rio 2001 was and I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain the magnitude and atmosphere of the show.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TrixAreForKids said:

Sorry what’s the fascination with W. lineman? ☺️

The General bass line is super cool. The song is growing on me, but the bass is wicked!

They play it so much, like with KOHD years before it was released, that they might as well for the sake of new material. 

10 minutes ago, KIKOZ3 said:

I was at Rock in Rio 01 almost every night and lost count of the Guns shows from 01 to 2022.

You have no idea what Rock in Rio 2001 was and I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain the magnitude and atmosphere of the show.

300 thousand fans didn't go to RiR just to see GNR :facepalm: 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, KIKOZ3 said:

Rock in Rio 2001's audience attendance numbers, being a festival, has nothing to do with the attendance of GNR as a standalone entity all the years nuGNR was a thing - so I have no idea what point you are trying to make :lol:

With Slash back, so many more people care about the band and the results speak for themselves, so the whole "Axl is GNR and $lash should go play the Barbie song" post you made seemed very "stuck in 2010" to me - that's all :shrugs:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Slugworth said:

Axl called Slash.

That's what set the wheels in motion.

You distort reality.

Slash drunk knocking on Axl's door delivering a letter saying that Duff was a fraud and that Axl was right was it an event that never happened?

Eh ?

• Like 1

Just now, KIKOZ3 said:

Aham you know more than me who was there.

Three hundred thousand people actually went to Rock in Rio to see Britney Spears. 🤣

Dude why are you so obsessed with Rock in Rio III, it really has nothing to do with anything :lol:

• Haha 1

On 10/31/2023 at 2:59 AM, GNRRHCP98 said:

Really throwing me for a loop… I even “liked” the playlist… can someone more knowledgeable shed light? 

Or is this just a case of someone uploading something to Spotify and just being able to label its artist as GNR?

People's playlists that they've made can be viewable to the public if you find them. Case and point, this is my playlist with my local files on Spotify LMAO. I'm going to edit the caption to say hi mygnr so you believe me 

Edited by Axl Rose aka God

11 hours ago, Dani_1455 said:

Was from the Twitter account of Has It Leaked, he told that he has a contact on the label or something like that and that was the plan, probably bullshit

I can believe it was planned, just like Slash said they planned to release Perhaps and TG this summer. Doesn't mean it won't happen, just not on the original timeline.

7 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't agree that an album or even EP is necessary in 2023, it's no longer an album oriented music world and it hasn't been for years now, all you need is a new single every now and then to keep your fans interested. Albums are so much work and they are quickly forgotten and fall off the charts very fast a few weeks after they're out, it's not like it used to be, where albums would only get bigger after they're released.

But I agree the one-two punch of The General followed by Monsters is awesome to listen to, they should keep that. Especially for the fans who confused Monsters to be The General all these years.

While I like albums, I do understand why artists would want to do singles instead. A lot of great songs never get the attention they deserve because they were album songs and never released as singles. Going individually, it lets every song have an equal opportunity and time in the spotlight. Lots of bands and record labels suck at picking singles, as well. One famous example is Deep Purple never saw Smoke on the Water as a single. The record company had to force their hand.

7 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Yeah - I’ve always bought into the notion that there WAS more material. The thought that he wouldn’t have captured any studio vocals for years and years just never really seemed believable to me. Clearly record company politics put a spanner in the works for CDII.

And yet, from all the leaks and releases and everything we have, all the vocals seem to have been recorded around 1998-2000. Is there any known example of a 2003-2007 vocal recording?

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

I wonder how much Axl cares about what the hardcore Gn'R fan thinks, like it was in the past when he made changes to the music just cause he read shit that was said here and in other forums about Catcher and Better for example.

I'm sorry, what?! Is this true?!