THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

I wonder if there is still bad blood between Izzy and the band.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I'm not so sure he wouldn't call Izzy if he got seriously into the process of making new music

I too feel like Axl could call him if he really wants something, and Izzy wouldn't say no to that. So either Axl isn’t interested in any new materials, or Izzy is out of reach.

15 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Yes but i would still live to be alive for when this happens. Plus consuming them 1 at a time, and 2 every two years is a dreadful listening experience. If they'd have just released 10 together you could listen to the in sequence, like ones first then later, then get a full experience. They are so THROWAWAY, being released this way. You hear it non stop for a week because it's the only one, then you just move on and wait for the next. what the fuck is the point. 

Totally disagree. Releasing every song as a single allows each one a chance to shine and that way nothing becomes a forgotten album track. Obviously we'd all like them to do it faster, but that's another discussion. There are so many album tracks by bands I love that truly could have been big hits if they just had the chance to be a single. "Perhaps" got way more attention in 2023 than it would have if released as just another track on CD with no video.

Edited by evilfacelessturtle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The obvious answer is to call Izzy but that's not gonna happen. I think he's too stubborn to hire writers who aren't 'part of the crew' like Arkeen, Huge, etc.

But I agree, hiring songwriters wouldn't be a bad thing.

I don't think the issue is getting Axl to write the songs. If Slash, Duff, Richard and Axl sat down to write an album I'm sure they could churn something out with at least a couple bangers

I think Axl just has little to no desire to enter a studio, deal with a producer and a record label anymore.  I think everything he went thru during Chinese Democracy just turned him off to the whole idea of it.  Axl seems like a man at peace enjoying his life right now, why would he want to do something that he doesn't enjoy if he doesn't have to?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jwalker19 said:

I've listened back to the cellphone clip a few times since Monsters leaked and to me it sounds like the original solo was probably better than Slash's as absurd as that is to say due to the quality. 😂

Yeah I hear that. Hearing the bucket/Finck version is my finally holy grail with this band 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It would be a bad thing for me. I wouldn't like them to hire Desmond Child type writers to write generic radio friendly songs for them just to have new music. I'd really take more Absurd's over that :lol:

I'm not so sure he wouldn't call Izzy if he got seriously into the process of making new music.

The real question is whether Izzy would be interested. Assuming that money is the main reason he didn't join the reunion to begin with... There's more money in touring than in albums these days. So I don't see the motivation for Izzy at all. Even if they'd throw a big chunk of money at him now, I doubt he would. 

5 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

We know there is Izzy stuff that's unreleased for gnr, probably wouldn't need to work with him again they could just dig out old stuff. Don't see it happening though.

We don't know how far along that stuff was and what the quality even was. I'm assuming it's more rough ideas and or song sketches than actual finished tracks. Might be nowhere near finished and even if it was they'd need to sort out a royalties construction as well.  

21 minutes ago, username said:

The real question is whether Izzy would be interested. Assuming that money is the main reason he didn't join the reunion to begin with... There's more money in touring than in albums these days. So I don't see the motivation for Izzy at all. Even if they'd throw a big chunk of money at him now, I doubt he would. 

I think the reason was not money per se, but Izzy being aware that the "loot" would be very big and so he thought that he deserved a bigger cut off of it than what was offered to him. So, as far as Izzy is concerned, it would mostly depend on whether he would be in the mood to write with them. No one knows what he's doing these days or if he still writes (although he apparently recorded some new solo material a while ago, but it's unknown what has happened to it).

We don't know how far along that stuff was and what the quality even was. I'm assuming it's more rough ideas and or song sketches than actual finished tracks. Might be nowhere near finished and even if it was they'd need to sort out a royalties construction as well. 

Izzy in 1998:

Stradlin' also revealed that two years ago he sent Axl about 18 songs, which Axl wanted to use on the new GN'R album. "Then his lawyers sent me a letter, they wanted me to give Axl the rights to these songs. Fuck you! Use the songs if you want, but leave the lawyers out of this", Izzy says.

These songs were probably in addition to the 1995 Izzy/Duff demos.

Then Axl called Izzy again and asked him to send the demos (presumably the ones from 1995 or all of them).

I suppose the royalties wouldn't be a problem (even Brain's friends will get royalties for The General), but maybe the rights (ownership and copyright) would be.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, username said:

its gnr nothing is ever finished

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It would be a bad thing for me. I wouldn't like them to hire Desmond Child type writers to write generic radio friendly songs for them just to have new music. I'd really take more Absurd's over that :lol:

I'm not so sure he wouldn't call Izzy if he got seriously into the process of making new music.

oooooooh miss blackstar, going to have to pull you up on this! 

Dude looks like a lady? Crazy? Angel? Aerosmith brilliant tracks with child. Living on a prayer, Bon jovi, I was made for loving you kiss, posion alice cooper?

ok i get they are all very much of their time and a little bit 'sappy' compared to what we like to think of as GnR gutter rock. But they are great songs. If he can help gnr write one of those, we'd all be loving it! GnR have used outside writers before (though usually friends) one radio single hit to help push the album of GnR only written stuff. you'd love it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Izzy in 1998:

Stradlin' also revealed that two years ago he sent Axl about 18 songs, which Axl wanted to use on the new GN'R album. "Then his lawyers sent me a letter, they wanted me to give Axl the rights to these songs. Fuck you! Use the songs if you want, but leave the lawyers out of this", Izzy says.

Izzy is one of the founding members, most of GNR's original DNA is because of Izzy. And then they treat him like that.

In Izzy's shoes I would have told them to f*ck off as well. This also makes any future collaborations unlikely unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, batatadoce said:

just heard it, doesn't sound much different from the leak

Stop scaring me :rofl-lol:

• Confused 1