THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Just now, AxlRoseCDII said:

Well said. It really should’ve come out in like 2004. Axl has fucked up more than any successful musician in the history of music.

this. it's beyond any logical comprehension. Madness. Imagine sitting on soul monster for 23 years it still hasn't come out, and when it does it'll probably be an unpromoted vinyl b side. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

Tbh, listening to it more, I wish “The General” was the A-side to “Monsters” instead of being the B-side to “Perhaps.”

Thematically, TG and Monsters gel together… not sure if I dig it as much coupled with “Perhaps” (if that makes any sense.) 

Ultimately, I love all three songs, but it’s the question of the listening experience…

I usually play the general, Monsters and follow with State of grace - a trio of tunes with some darker themes then Perhaps is a feel good breather after that

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

strings seem to stand out a bit more maybe, it's not hugely different.

Hope this is the case for monsters too. General seemed the worse of the two mixes. Get the strings up, and slightly clean the monsters cant get me bit. and oh yeah.. RELEASE IT

11 minutes ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

Tbh, listening to it more, I wish “The General” was the A-side to “Monsters” instead of being the B-side to “Perhaps.”

Thematically, TG and Monsters gel together… not sure if I dig it as much coupled with “Perhaps” (if that makes any sense.) 

Ultimately, I love all three songs, but it’s the question of the listening experience…

I've got an either better idea. Tracks 13 and 14 at the end of a new album!

Edited by JimiRose
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, betterman said:

I usually play the general, Monsters and follow with State of grace - a trio of tunes with some darker themes then Perhaps is a feel good breather after that

I dig that… hoping SOG gets an official release at some point too. 

18 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

The real mystery is where “Monsters” came from.

The quality sounds equally as bad as The General leak, on top of it being leaked at the same time, they definitely or almost certainly had the same source. Rumor has it both were intended for the vinyl, so maybe they came from the early pressings. (Not necessarily the vinyl itself) 

Can we tell if Bob Ludwig mastered it from the radio recording? The leaks sound unmixed. 

31 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

The real mystery is where “Monsters” came from.

The vinyl theory is the most obvious and likely one. 

It was supposed to be on there, it was taken off for quality reasons, but in the process of that happening both songs leaked as they went through someone's hands either at the pressing plant, at the label or somewhere else. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, betterman said:

What if Monsters gets promoted as a new GNR song for a new album? The vocals might be new too apart from the bridge

IF Guns REALLY wanted to end the year with a bang, “The General” drops Friday, with an EP announcement (an EP that would, of course, have to include “Monsters.”)

Have it come out in January/February… Green Day has their new studio album coming out in January, so they should definitely ride the “rock wave” while it’s there.

Also, after a few listens of the radio leak, it definitely sounds cleaner than the October leak. This, to me, is the FINAL, OFFICIAL form of the formerly fabled TG.  

Personally I’m finding this whole “non-release” completely tedious now. It feels like forever ago I was hyped for these songs, now it’s a case of wanting to hear the final version just for curiosity’s sake rather than being genuinely excited for new music. I get the vinyl delay was “one of things”, still farcical nonetheless, but there’s no reason it couldn’t have come out digitally especially after it was played live. It’s just being held back for the sake of being held back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

You forgot to mention restoring Bucket and/or Robin's parts. :) 

Why would he mention it? 

It's obviously not happening. It's just pure fantasy.

You might as well ask Bill Cosby to eat Jello Pudding Pops while listening to the song. At least that has a one in a billion shot of occurring.

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Rumor has it both were intended for the vinyl

If by rumor you mean forum fantasies, yes it's rumor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ok got to hear it. Only difference is the bass. It’s definitely more thumpy for lack of a better word. Also it seems like the strings are a bit higher in the mix. I actually like the added bass. The biggest disappointment with this song is that it doesn’t have a ton of orchestra. In my mind it would because of how long and dramatic the string arrangements used to be before the shows would start back in the day

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Why would he mention it? 

It's obviously not happening. It's just pure fantasy.

It's already happened. You can hear a little Robin in Perhaps, the beginning of the solo. And some in Absurd too. Hard Skool is up in the air. Not sure on Monsters or The General. 

28 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Ok got to hear it. Only difference is the bass. It’s definitely more thumpy for lack of a better word. Also it seems like the strings are a bit higher in the mix.

I'm happy to hear that. Bass and the bit of orchestra are some of the best parts of The General, especially on the verses. It has one of my favorite Duff lines, actually. Almost doesn't sound like him ^_^

Just kidding, I know it's him

• Like 1