THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

12 minutes ago, Politania said:

I'll add a few cents from myself. this is the first time I listened to this song. I've never heard of leaks.  I've no freaking idea how this song sounds on leaks and what the Monsters is.:shrugs:
To be honest, this is a very strange song. the lyrics seem very simple and very personal, obviously taken from Axl's childhood, which is heartbreaking.. But the music is hard for me to like, it's so cringy. As like a crazy clown was spinning a barrel organ right above your head. this is not, in my humble opinion, a song that people will be willing to listen to on the radio and that will  make them like Guns. Axl's vocals seem to be in a fog... it doesn't really appeal to me. After everything people wrote about The General, I thought it would be spectacular. I definitely prefer Perhaps, which I listen to with pleasure, e.g. when they play it on the radio while I work.I'm sorry, but I wouldn't like to hear this song live. I will repeat myself, this text would be extremely moving and touching if it were very extensive and in a different arrangement....:smiley-confused2:

ps. by the way, it probably wasn't that easy for Axl to talk about a part of his childhood, even in such a simple text. It's hard to hear about children being harmed.:(

I like the song (not the mix and mastering) but it's definitely not single material, and that's the problem with them releasing these songs on their own. They'd probably go down great on an EP or album, but to send to radio and millions of casual listeners? Nah. Monsters is fucking brilliant though. I think that'd make a great single.

Edited by DingBat
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DingBat said:

I like the song (not the mix and mastering) but it's definitely not single material, and that's the problem with them releasing these songs on their own. They'd probably go down great on an EP or album, but to send to radio and millions of casual listeners? Nah. Monsters is fucking brilliant though. I think that'd make a great single.

Like ur point of a view. thx.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Miden34 said:

I also love being right. I said from the start there was a 0% chance we got monsters on the B-side too.

All of those theories about how they were one long song or a song split in two or a hidden track or whatever, is easily some of the dumbest stuff that's been discussed in forever in GNR fandom lol

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I do have to say, the final version is clearer. You can hear the backing vocals better, I guess

It is too bad the orchestra is buried. There is a cool arrangement, there

Yep, bass and guitars are much more present in the final version. I agree about it being a shame the orchestra is buried as it’s one of the highlights of the live version. All in all it’s probably a 6/10 for me. Still dig it, but was expecting a bit more. 

Listened for the first time this morning.  Held off on listening to the leaks.  

it’s a cool song that simply was never going to live up to the hype.  It’s got a cool beat, and that middle part, when the orchestra cones in, and the bass and drums come back, is really cool.  It kinda reminds me of IRS a little bit, in a good way.   It’s not a single, definitely a b-side and I’m glad they released it.  

As much as we talk sh#t about Team Brazil and Axl, the mere fact that this song has been finally released is a cool thing to do for the die-hard fans like us.    I’m very glad that I finally got to hear it after all these years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, surforia said:

Listened for the first time this morning.  Held off on listening to the leaks.  

it’s a cool song that simply was never going to live up to the hype.  It’s got a cool beat, and that middle part, when the orchestra cones in, and the bass and drums come back, is really cool.  It kinda reminds me of IRS a little bit, in a good way.   It’s not a single, definitely a b-side and I’m glad they released it.  

As much as we talk sh#t about Team Brazil and Axl, the mere fact that this song has been finally released is a cool thing to do for the die-hard fans like us.    I’m very glad that I finally got to hear it after all these years.

Official release with bassdrum clipping like crazy... yeah, congrats Team Brazil and Axl. What's the point to work on song for 20 years and then release unlistenable garbage mix?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vinyl has arrived. Underwhelming 🤣 oh well. The General is fucking weird, one minute I think it's shit. The next I'm enjoying it. Putting it in the average box for now. 

Of the 4 official releases I'd go

1. Perhaps

2. Hard Skool

3. The General

4. Absurd (utter utter shite)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TiedHands said:

All of those theories about how they were one long song or a song split in two or a hidden track or whatever, is easily some of the dumbest stuff that's been discussed in forever in GNR fandom lol

The band doesn't communicate at all. What are we supposed to do except make up our own minds with the little information we are being provided with? :shrugs:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

The pixelated image used on the vinyl is not only embarrassing but it’s disgraceful. What the fuck was wrong with the quality of it a month ago that it got delayed only to be delivered like this anyway? Why do they consistently fuck everything up. The song isn’t even “new” anymore to me. They took all the goddamn excitement out of it with this FOR NO REASON delay.

The pixelated image is fucking disgusting. Clearly isn't meant to be like that. 

GNR management fucking amateur hour once again. Stupid fucking Team Brazil. Unprofessional idiots with no idea what they are doing. Embarrassing for one of the biggest legacy rock bands in the world. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

10 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

The band doesn't communicate at all. What are we supposed to do except make up our own minds with the little information we are being provided with? :shrugs:

I never make up my own mind. i have two cats so naturally they make all my choices for me.

14 minutes ago, TiedHands said:

A lot of assumptions were made when the Monsters song title was discovered. No one assumed it was a lazy filing process on the GnR end, which it probably was. They were never one song or two parts of a whole. We also know how long a song can be on a 7" nowadays with modern records. So it was pretty silly to think that. A great find, but we as a whole shouldn't have jumped to any crazy conclusions. Now what's interesting is how closely related the two songs are, and what Monsters could be. A B-side for Atlas/the next single? Perhaps. But the big thing, for me, is that someone has unreleased NITL GnR recordings. Prior to the Monsters leak, I'm not sure we've had evidence that there were "new" songs being hoarded... 

3 minutes ago, Nintari said:

Just listened to The General for the first time, and I could not even finish the track. I've been a fan since the late eighties. I've heard every official thing they've ever put out. I even think Oh My God is awesome. But I could not finish this song. It's that horrible, imo.

What in the hell were they thinking?

listen to it long enough to hear the bridge. or just skipped passed the second chorus cause the little breakdown is the best pat of the song. the only reason i listen to it