THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

2 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Yeah I get where you're coming from. Until recently, I was under the impression this was a 10 minute epic with long instrumental sections. I don't quite know how or when it got built up to be this epic track but I think it might be Sebastian Bach that is to blame for that...

Yeah his comments and others, plus it being played as the show intros for years ...

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

So because a few said they loved the song and then the fans turned it into whatever it became in their minds, now you are disappointed. That’s on you. 

Not what I said at all dude lol

• Confused 1

On 12/9/2023 at 9:08 AM, oneway23 said:

Bruv....I know people lost a few years there with the pandemic, so some of us are still maybe a little discombobulated, but, they've been reunited for what will be eight years next year.

Oops. Sometimes my typing doesn’t keep up with my mind lol.  

• GNFNR 1

Maybe, Izzy was the only member of the band that truly understood how to write inspiring songs.

Better was the closest and there were a few strong Axl heavy songs on CD but nothing has captured the energy and brilliance of  most of the iconic tracks from AFD/ Lies/ UYI.

What we are getting.now are lifeless methodical low level type of songs. 

Repetitive lyrics...no hooks...just lifeless.

They can work on these songs for 50 years and it won't matter. Anyone here can take the General and find ways to make it more interesting. It literally hurts my ears to listen to.

I just think either A) they are NOW musically incompetent in understanding what a great song is or B) they don't care and are going the "mail it in route "

Ironically, Rock the Rock had more life and I'm guessing that was a pre written song they just needed Axl to drop vocals on...lol

It reminds me of the two latest movies I've seen from Scorsese and Ridley Scott...those two directors are legends but at some point they FORGOT what made them great and they just turn out "Yes Men" type of bloated unwatchable  crap...and that's with great actors and all of the money and creative freedom in the world at their disposal. 

Edited by Illusion1987
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, betterman said:

The General is better and more interesting than half of Appetite! Yes I mean it..

to be honest i dont think it is, but i listen to the general quite a lot since we got the leaks and i cant listen to songs like sweet child of mine anymore. in a way i do find it more interesting than a lot of old stuff. 

2 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Not nessecarily. I love The General, every part of it, I think it lives up to the hype and it's fierce and dark and really a perfect blend of all the CD elements I liked. But I'm not a fan of everything he does or has done on the locker discs. I think Nothing is abysmal for example. 

Even the scratch demo of Nothing is much better than the finished version of The General, easily.

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

This whole Chinese era is such a fucking drag. We've been going this road for over 20 years now and it still hasn't stopped. I hope they just release what's left from that era and move on. That's my hope for 24. Enough with all the CD era stuff. Yes, we got some good songs out of it, but the band needs to create its own new legacy and that's not gonna work with axl's leftovers. That being said, I really hope they release monsters.

Hopefully 2024 they release a 4 song EP

Atlas

Monsters

State of Grace

Seven

I'd love that to have quick song and nothing and the rest but tbh it'd be nice to get those 4, end the CD era and 2025 is the new album and tour. as we know, neither of these things will happen sadly. 

6 minutes ago, Illusion1987 said:

Maybe, Izzy was the only member of the band that truly understood how to write inspiring songs.

Better was the closest and there were a few strong Axl heavy songs on CD but nothing has captured the energy and brilliance of  most of the iconic tracks from AFD/ Lies/ UYI.

What we are getting.now are lifeless methodical low level type of songs. 

Repetitive lyrics...no hooks...just lifeless.

They can work on these songs for 50 years and it won't matter. Anyone here can take the General and find ways to make it more interesting. It liberally hurts my ears to listen to.

I Just think either A) they are NOW musically incompetent in understanding what a great song is or B) they don't care and are going the "mail it in route "

Ironically, Rock the Rock had more life and I'm guessing that was a pre written song they just needed Axl to drop vocals on...lol

It reminds me of the two latest movies I've seen from Scorsese and Ridley Scott...those two directors are legends but at some point they FORGOT what made them great and they just turn out "Yes Mem" type of bloated unwatchable  crap...and that's wirh great actors and all of the money and creative freedom in the world. 

if you had to make a tier list and grade each song by  album individually, i believe there are more high ranking songs on chinese democracy than gnr lies. 

even if you consider each uyi individually i think chinese democracy does pretty well.  

1 hour ago, vloors said:

I always loved monsters from the first listen but the general has always been a my world/absurd type track to me. Never been a fan of it.

Monsters is probably the strongest track we have from the reunion. 

For me both The General & Monsters are the best post CD songs along with Perhaps, my only gripe is the clipping and the fact that my 7'' turned up with artwork that looks like something from minecraft.

20 minutes ago, Lelex95 said:

to be honest i dont think it is, but i listen to the general quite a lot since we got the leaks and i cant listen to songs like sweet child of mine anymore. in a way i do find it more interesting than a lot of old stuff. 

It's coz weve heard scom for decades and 5000 times. I'll listen to the general lots in the next few months and i could go years without hearing scom again. Doesn't mean SCOM isnt a much better song. it's instantly accessible to anyone who likes any style of music. to like the general you have to have been on this gnr train for a long time for your brain to adjust. Not sure this song will endear any non gnr fans to the band!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

It's coz weve heard scom for decades and 5000 times. I'll listen to the general lots in the next few months and i could go years without hearing scom again. Doesn't mean SCOM isnt a much better song. it's instantly accessible to anyone who likes any style of music. to like the general you have to have been on this gnr train for a long time for your brain to adjust. Not sure this song will endear any non gnr fans to the band!

To be honest I like the general cause it really reminds me of nu metal which I really loved as a kid, the lyrics and the bridge really remind me of korn and i love aesthetic music, i really liked absurd too for similar reasons and  i think perhaps is boring and uninspired. 
it has been 15 since if the world came out and I still think it sucks I get what you mean, we surely try to like things as fans but I honestly enjoy the general but at the same time i think there are good reasons to like the track

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

You guys wanna have some fun read some comments about The General on GNR's facebook page.

To be fair there is a lot of positive comments, there are bad comments too and although some seems to be able to put in words what they don’t like most are really crying that this isn’t afd style music. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

It was only Sebastian Bach (who is not a close associate, just a friend of Axl). And Brain just said it was a cool song (which is normal, since it was his song). Axl merely mentioned the title.

That's it. Everything else is only on the fans. No band member or "associate" misguided us to believe that the cell phone recording was The General, we "figured" it all out by ourselves. And no one told the fans that the orchestral arrangement used as an intro at concerts means that it's also the intro to the actual song (and not just integrated in it), that's just something fans speculated and made up.

This.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

It was only Sebastian Bach (who is not a close associate, just a friend of Axl). And Brain just said it was a cool song (which is normal, since it was his song). Axl merely mentioned the title.

That's it. Everything else is only on the fans. No band member or "associate" misguided us to believe that the cell phone recording was The General, we "figured" it all out by ourselves. And no one told the fans that the orchestral arrangement used as an intro at concerts means that it's also the intro to the actual song (and not just integrated in it), that's just something fans speculated and made up.

To be honest we haven't heard the same version of The General that Sebastian Bach heard, so we should cut him some slack lol, we don't know how different it was. Marco Beltrami said Seven is the best song he worked on..can't wait for this same shitshow to start if people are disappointed with that one lol

• Like 4