To GNR Camp - please fix The General digital release mix!!!

3 hours ago, Trell said:

Sounds alright on apple music, says apple digital master and they normally sort the clipping out

Hard to believe this, because there should be same mix on all platforms and there's nothing a platform can do if handed in bad product. Anybody else have Apple music and can verify this?

14 minutes ago, Trell said:

Well i cant say ive heard clipping on apple music🤷‍♂️

Hearing loss usually starts with loosing the hearing in high frequancies.., and the clipping is pretty high pitched... you should be worried

Edited by NormisX

1 hour ago, timoteo said:

Please share an example of said clipping 

In the chorus especially it is pretty audible, in particular if you listen to the kick drum hits

You will hear it sound distorted, but not in an intentional way like electronic/industrial music where the drums can intentionally all sound overloaded for effect - in this case it will sound similar to if you blew out cheap speakers.  "Crackling" is the best descriptive term I can use for it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NormisX said:

Hearing loss usually starts with loosing the hearing in high frequancies.., and the clipping is pretty high pitched... you should be worried

Hahahaha thanks mate😅 maybe invest in some decent headphones and actually listen to the apple music version. Sounds like youre just hating on it cos you dont like the song

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Trell said:

Hahahaha thanks mate😅 maybe invest in some decent headphones and actually listen to the apple music version. Sounds like youre just hating on it cos you dont like the song

I do have to chime in just because I did some listening this weekend - the Apple Music version is the same verbatim mastering as what I have heard via the Quobuz 24-Bit/48 kHz high resolution version, clipping and all

All digital versions are sourced from the same mastering - I can't speak to what was pressed on wax on the vinyl single but all digital versions - be it streaming, or digital download, all have the same mastering and flaws due to the loudness-wars liberal use of limiting and bringing the audio past the dB threshold to induce clipping

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, betterman said:

I dont really hear it (Spotify) and I have heard it on several tracks from other artists. Maybe im going deaf ate somebody is exaggerating

With headphones try listening to specifically the drum fill that occurs at 1:28ish to 1:30 that brings the first chorus to an end - you will hear some light crackles/popping noises that bounce around the stereo image due to the drums.  While I can hear it throughout the duration of the song, to me this is one of the more prevalent examples

Edited by WhazUp

30 minutes ago, Trell said:

1) I love the song and that's the reason why I hate the way mix sounds... it could be so much better with decent mix and master. Just listen to it back to back with any other properly mixed track ;) 

2) Apple version is the same as on other digital platforms

3) I think my 2 sets of studio monitors or Senheiser headphones are just fine :D

I can still hear clipping occasionally after I've turned it off (maybe my laptop speakers are just bad since it's an old one), but if you're on a laptop, make sure to turn off any of that weird speaker-audio-enhancer software that's bundled with laptops. Maybe the mix will still sound terrible (i don't have a good ear for that stuff), but it will make it sound less bad.

(e.g. my laptop has this dolby audio setting that was automatically enabled. It's different for each laptop depending on what was bundled with it.

Top is the official General recorded from youtube with it enabled.

Middle is the official General release from youtube with it disabled.

Bottom was the leaker's file.)

image.png

If you're listening to it on Spotify, make sure to find the normalisation setting and turn it off. Some Swifties were complaining the Taylor's versions were mixed terribly, but then after finding that setting and turning it off, it sounded better.

https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/this-spotify-hack-transformed-my-music-thanks-to-taylor-swift

Edited by BucketEgg
removing excessive whitespace
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Either exaggerating or flat out making up another reason to bitch. 

Clipping always bugged me no matter what band - Vapor Trails by Rush for example suffers the same fate in its original mix as does 10,000 Days by Tool at various points in its mix/mastering

I don't think it is controversial to make the suggestion that overuse of compression and pushing everything into the red in the mastering phase is not a pleasant trend in music since the 90s

Edited by WhazUp

4 hours ago, BucketEgg said:

I can still hear clipping occasionally after I've turned it off (maybe my laptop speakers are just bad since it's an old one), but if you're on a laptop, make sure to turn off any of that weird speaker-audio-enhancer software that's bundled with laptops. Maybe the mix will still sound terrible (i don't have a good ear for that stuff), but it will make it sound less bad.

(e.g. my laptop has this dolby audio setting that was automatically enabled. It's different for each laptop depending on what was bundled with it.

Top is the official General recorded from youtube with it enabled.

Middle is the official General release from youtube with it disabled.

Bottom was the leaker's file.)

image.png

If you're listening to it on Spotify, make sure to find the normalisation setting and turn it off. Some Swifties were complaining the Taylor's versions were mixed terribly, but then after finding that setting and turning it off, it sounded better.

https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/this-spotify-hack-transformed-my-music-thanks-to-taylor-swift

Makes no difference... mix is just clipping like crazy, because... well, it's mixed like that. Mind boggling how can someone approve release of this

On 12/17/2023 at 6:50 AM, NormisX said:

Hard to believe this, because there should be same mix on all platforms and there's nothing a platform can do if handed in bad product. Anybody else have Apple music and can verify this?

Not true for The General but this is true sometimes. Death Magnetic had to be remastered without clipping for Apple Music, but all other streaming services still have the original.

1 hour ago, bmus1 said:

Not true for The General but this is true sometimes. Death Magnetic had to be remastered without clipping for Apple Music, but all other streaming services still have the original.

Didn't know this... so Apple just said to Metallica - we won't put this shit on our site? :D

5 hours ago, NormisX said:

Didn't know this... so Apple just said to Metallica - we won't put this shit on our site? :D

Yup exactly. I’m assuming this was done pretty quietly to avoid Metallica admitting they fucked up, but I hope they quietly release the new masters on other services eventually.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bmus1 said:

Wait, wait, wait, hold up. Are you saying that Metallica released an album with clipping to a streaming services? That they were on the same level of incompetency as GN'R? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Wait, wait, wait, hold up. Are you saying that Metallica released an album with clipping to a streaming services? That they were on the same level of incompetency as GN'R? 

Yes and people complained about it just like people are complaining about it now with gnr.