To GNR Camp - please fix The General digital release mix!!!

3 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

One of the moderators of the gnr reddit is the main gnr social media person. I forget which mod it's not a fan run thing by any stretch. It's where people go to post pictures of cats that look like Dizzy Reed and stuff like that. best ignored. 

It's r/audioengineering, not the GNR subreddit, and that thread comes up number one on Google search, ahead of any of the other General-related threads elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Flayer said:

It's r/audioengineering, not the GNR subreddit, and that thread comes up number one on Google search, ahead of any of the other General-related threads elsewhere. 

Oh i see lol. I can't imagine how the Hoffman forum is coping with the mix, i would imagine not well.

Just read your first post and you di mention r/audioengineering but i missed it as im very very drunk

Edited by Rindmelon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bmus1 said:

I think it's because the high end was so lacking on the leak, and that's where a lot of the clipping on the kick drum is. It's not a low-end thumpy clipping, it's a lot of very high-end popping on kick hits, especially in that last chorus. You can hear where they are in both versions, but they stick out way more in the released version.

This

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmus1 said:

I think it's because the high end was so lacking on the leak, and that's where a lot of the clipping on the kick drum is. It's not a low-end thumpy clipping, it's a lot of very high-end popping on kick hits, especially in that last chorus. You can hear where they are in both versions, but they stick out way more in the released version.

Sounds right to me. My point stands - they'd have been better off just releasing that version instead, if they weren't going to bother finishing it properly. 

On 12/11/2023 at 2:54 AM, Rindmelon said:

I would agree except i would say management instead of band. It's not for example Dizzy Reeds fault the artwork looks like something out of Minecraft. It comes down to incompetent management I think, & they are only there because of one person, and that ain't Slash duff Fortus Reece Dizzy or Frank. 

Agree with what you say here. 

• Like 1

Nonwithstanding the quality of the track itself, it's such a pity that Axl's "statement" when he chose a very light mastering touch for Chinese Democracy has consistently been followed by badly mixed and most of all compressed and brickwalled releases.

On that front, The General has reached a new low.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

After reading this thread I listened to it again in the car. Its OK sounding. It's actually pretty heavy in parts. I think I hear the clipping but I wouldn't say its a deal breaker.

It's got a light hypnotic groove. I think live it would suit smaller venue. if people knew the song in advance its the type of song that would probably make you bob your head slowly, but it wouldn't bore you.

On 12/12/2023 at 1:02 PM, Flayer said:

That was an interesting read. Somebody claiming to be an ex-GNR members sibling was ragging on CD lol

On 12/13/2023 at 8:29 AM, Flayer said:

Sounds right to me. My point stands - they'd have been better off just releasing that version instead, if they weren't going to bother finishing it properly. 

Lol they did just release that version it just isn't a shitty MP3 file where you can't even make out all the flaws of the song properly 

17 hours ago, EvH said:

Nonwithstanding the quality of the track itself, it's such a pity that Axl's "statement" when he chose a very light mastering touch for Chinese Democracy has consistently been followed by badly mixed and most of all compressed and brickwalled releases.

On that front, The General has reached a new low.

all the digital releases are brickwalled? I haven't bought any of them 

6 hours ago, Chris 55 said:

all the digital releases are brickwalled? I haven't bought any of them 

Perhaps sounds good to my ears, Absurd ir pretty ok also... HS is much worse, drums sounds like cheap drum machine and then there is The Clipper... worst sounding mix by any major band out there

Will not be done. 

And its not so bad that some of you are saying. 

It has been a general problem in music business for years and I am very aware and against the loudness wars, but you could find equally examples from  hundreds of well known bands. Death Magnetic were miles worse as were some of the releases from U2, Bon Jovi etc.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, betterman said:

Will not be done. 

It has been a general problem in music business for years and I am very aware and against the loudness wars, but you could find equally examples from  hundreds of well known bands. Death Magnetic were miles worse as were some of the releases from U2, Bon Jovi etc.

I agree with - will not be done :(

Just listened to Death Magnetic single... brickwalled to max, but still somehow listenable unlike The General

13 hours ago, betterman said:

Will not be done. 

Brickwalling is one thing. Clipping is another. I'm no Metallica fan but I highly doubt Death Magnetic is clipping all over the place.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Brickwalling is one thing. Clipping is another. I'm no Metallica fan but I highly doubt Death Magnetic is clipping all over the place.

Death Magnetic, at least the album as was mixed and mastered for official release in 2008 (the Guitar Hero stems are a different story) indeed has clipping all over the place

Edited by WhazUp
  • Wow 1

22 hours ago, NormisX said:

Perhaps sounds good to my ears, Absurd ir pretty ok also... HS is much worse, drums sounds like cheap drum machine and then there is The Clipper... worst sounding mix by any major band out there

How does it clip? Any examples? 

Edited by Chris 55