Has The General done damage to gnrs rep?

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

My pleasure.

I didn't get angry when the band released One In A Million, I didn't get angry when the band released So Fine, I didn't get angry when the band released Bad Obsession, I didn't get angry when the band released If The World, I didn't get angry when the band released This I Love. And so on. Why should I get pissed off from having more listening possibilities? I choose to not listen to what I don't like, and happily listen to what I like. 

What would make more sense would be to be angry when the band does't release new music. But I didn't get angry in the long period prior to CD when nothing was released and I didn't get angry in the long period after CD when nothing was released. I guess it would be great if my life was so harmonious that a band not releasing music was the worst thing to happen and hence would evoke my anger, but I guess I have more important things to feel passionate about. Or maybe people who get angry over trifling matters just have anger issues?

Now the band is releasing music again, albeit in drip-feed mode, and I am...happy about that. Partly because it gives me listening possibilities, but mostly because I genuinely like some of the recent releases, like Hard Skool, The General and Perhaps. It's hit or miss whether I like new GN'R music, but these I like. And fortunately I don't have big issues with the mixing, at least not to the extent it overrides me enjoying a good song. 

So yeah, I am not pissed off. Count me out of your "us".

You do spend an awful lot of your time telling people how you don't get pissed off. 

It's good to know. You must feel very happy not to be 'us', as you so often point out. 

A rare light shining in the darkness. 

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

You do spend an awful lot of your time telling people how you don't get pissed off. 

It's good to know. You must feel very happy not to be 'us', as you so often point out. 

A rare light shining in the darkness. 

Thanks. I hope I am a appreciated counter-weight to all the people who spend a lot of their time telling people how pissed off they are over details in their lives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Haha, no. It's a good song and most people won't care about the clipping. 

I notice clipping in both the leak and the final version, even in my 1997 Ford Ranger stock (Sony) stereo. It's embarrassing. I still enjoy the song for what it is, and most especially, what it used to be.

Maybe NITL will improve an existing song for a change one of these days.

1 hour ago, invisible_rose said:

99.99% of people won't even hear the clipping. And speaking to those who have heard it, most people won't even like the song! 

I like The General (it's no Monsters though). I can just about hear the clipping now it's pointed out (annoyingly).

As for reputation - it won't affect a band with the stature of GNR. It's a dodged digital track. It's a big deal to us, but nothing in the grand scale of things.

I don't normally care about mixes/production stuff that much, but I have to say, even I noticed this one. It does sound bad, and that's to a totally unprofessional ear who doesn't know much (or usually care) about these things. 

From people that are big audiophiles point of view I'm not surprised it's a laughing stock of a song. I haven't braces looking at the Steve Hoffman forum, but I bet they're all pissing themselves! 

As you say though, it has no impact at all on their reputation really with the wider audience. It's just a real shame as (I seem to be in the minority here) I actually really like The General as a song. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Thanks. I hope I am a appreciated counter-weight to all the people who spend a lot of their time telling people how pissed off they are over details in their lives.

That's one way of putting it......

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

That's one way of putting it......

Yes, it is. And if some of the people who really want us all to agree that the song is terrible, get annoyed that I don't agree and happily express that disagreement and ruin their collective moaning, then that is just a bonus. 

As for your comment that I must feel good knowing I am not one of those who get pissed of because they are not happy about a song being released. I dunno know. Maybe it would be better if my life was so good I only got angry about irrelevant details in my life - that I had nothing important to get mad about. What I fear, though, is that at least some of the people who get angry about a song not living up to expectations get angry about a lot of stuff, including the minor things in life. I am very happy I am not one of those. I greatly prefer to go through life being happy and mostly content. 

16 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I notice clipping in both the leak and the final version, even in my 1997 Ford Ranger stock (Sony) stereo. It's embarrassing. I still enjoy the song for what it is, and most especially, what it used to be.

Maybe NITL will improve an existing song for a change one of these days.

I don't even know what to listen for.

I hear the song and I like it. I like the staccato bass beat, I like the sinister feeling throughout, I like art that tackles dark topics, I like the power riffing in the chorus, I LOVE Axl's attack when he sings "and those who understand" in the chorus (that's classic Axl venom on level with anything in his career), I like the drum fill before the second chorus and I like how the guitar double the vocal melody in the breakdown, I like the vocal melody in the chorus and the juxtaposition between Axl's piercing vocals and the riffage underneath, and I find it utterly fascinating how I can't tell the guitar from the vocals in the end before I hear Axl's vibrato on the final note.

Maybe the song could have been mixed punchier or whatever, or maybe the drum sound isn't perfect with some scratching sounds on them. I dunno. Still, it is completely dwarfed by the qualities of the song.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, it is. And if some of the people who really want us all to agree that the song is terrible, get annoyed that I don't agree and happily express that disagreement and ruin their collective moaning, then that is just a bonus. 

As for your comment that I must feel good knowing I am not one of those who get pissed of because they are not happy about a song being released. I dunno know. Maybe it would be better if my life was so good I only got angry about irrelevant details in my life - that I had nothing important to get mad about. What I fear, though, is that at least some of the people who get angry about a song not living up to expectations get angry about a lot of stuff, including the minor things in life. I am very happy I am not one of those. I greatly prefer to go through life being happy and mostly content. 

You do realise that people being angry about a GNR song on a GNR forum isn't actually an indicator that their lives are full of misery right? 

It's a band forum. To waste time on when you're bored at work, on the bus or on the toilet. That's all it is.

I think you are maybe taking all this way too seriously. There's no need to 'fear' for people on here or, oppositely,  think their lives have no issues if they moan about a song..... it's just a band forum. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

You do realise that people being angry about a GNR song on a GNR forum isn't actually an indicator that their lives are full of misery right? 

You missed the point where I did some speculation on whether such people are angry about all details in their lives, or whether they have nothing more important to be angry about.

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't even know what to listen for.

I hear the song and I like it. I like the staccato bass beat, I like the sinister feeling throughout, I like art that tackles dark topics, I like the power riffing in the chorus, I LOVE Axl's attack when he sings "and those who understand" in the chorus (that's classic Axl venom on level with anything in his career), I like the drum fill before the second chorus and I like how the guitar double the vocal melody in the breakdown, I like the vocal melody in the chorus and the juxtaposition between Axl's piercing vocals and the riffage underneath, and I find it utterly fascinating how I can't tell the guitar from the vocals in the end before I hear Axl's vibrato on the final note.

Maybe the song could have been mixed punchier or whatever, or maybe the drum sound isn't perfect with some scratching sounds on them. I dunno. Still, it is completely dwarfed by the qualities of the song.

My comments (and by others) on the mixing doesn't have anything to do with the content of the actual song. It's a technical issue, something most small local bands wouldn't even have pass by them before pressing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

My comments (and by others) on the mixing doesn't have anything to do with the content of the actual song. It's a technical issue, something most small local bands wouldn't even have pass by them before pressing. 

Yeah, I like the song a lot actually. The mixing and mastering is so bad that it was a bit of a smack in the face when I first heard it though. I guess it's just annoying to me that I know it could sound so much better and it was released like this.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think you are maybe taking all this way too seriously. There's no need to 'fear' for people on here or, oppositely,  think their lives have no issues if they moan about a song..... it's just a band forum. 

I think it is clear that people react differently to what is thrown at them in life. And I think reactions here to The General is representative of this. We react differently, that's just how it is. Some see the glass half full, etc. And yes, of course our reactions online can be an indicator to how we deal with setbacks elsewhere in life, too, although I am VERY cautious to not suggest that people who expresses disappointment over this song has some anger issues or anything like that. I want that to be very clear, I do not believe that. For most, if not all, I am sure this is just an isolated overreaction. But still, I can be happy about not overreacting and try to balance my emotions more constructively. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You missed the point where I did some speculation on whether such people are angry about all details in their lives, or whether they have nothing more important to be angry about.

Don't worry about it. It's a band forum. 

It's no indication whatsoever of what people have going on in their lives. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I think it is clear that people react differently to what is thrown at them in life. And I think reactions here to The General is representative of this. We react differently, that's just how it is. Some see the glass half full, etc. And yes, of course our reactions online can be an indicator to how we deal with setbacks elsewhere in life, too, although I am VERY cautious to not suggest that people who expresses disappointment over this song has some anger issues or anything like that. I want that to be very clear, I do not believe that. For most, if not all, I am sure this is just an isolated overreaction. But still, I can be happy about not overreacting and try to balance my emotions more constructively. 

Don't worry about it. It's a band forum. 

Just now, allwaystired said:

Don't worry about it. It's a band forum. 

Well, of course it could ;). It would be VERY strange if people who went through a rough patch wouldn't behave differently online, too. But again, as I just stressed, I do NOT think that people who get emotional over a song not living up to expectations are struggling in real life. I am not saying that. But maybe a few of them are? And the rest are just overreacting for other reasons. 

Nah, don't be silly. If releasing My World and breaking up in the 90s didn't destroy their reputation, then The General sure wouldn't. As someone said, they're pretty indestructible at this point. As long as they don't put out a 15-track album of My World remixes, I think they're good to go.

14 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Skipping all the posts. Yeah, nobody cares what they do outside of their hits. They could write a song greater than any other hit before it, and it wouldn't make a sizeable dent in the public's thoughts

Weell.... as long as Axl doesn't go crazy and write something that goes against the current grain of... whatever. PC maybe? Imagine another One in a Million, but this time about some other minority, or something sensitive, Idk. Which is exactly a zero chance of happening, now or ever. I know it's nonsense, I'm just saying. Waves could still be made. A part of me (currently slightly drunk) thinks it would be fun. 

Man, fuck it, just release Monsters.

Edited by jamillos