Has The General done damage to gnrs rep?

1 hour ago, AxlRQ93 said:

seems like there’s almost universal backlash, has it harmed their reputation you think? Could it harm sales for a future single? Havent seen this backlash to a song of theirs b4 

It definitely did. Although it doesn't change their ticket sales in the future for sure. This band does everything wrong and yet they sell to SCOM and WTTJ fans. The casuals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxlRQ93 said:

seems like there’s almost universal backlash, has it harmed their reputation you think? Could it harm sales for a future single? Havent seen this backlash to a song of theirs b4 

One in a million (great song, but obv very extreme lyrical content) My world (that was mocked) Oh My God (Industrial, poor mix, first release without slash etc) So GnR have definitely had backlash to songs, I think this one is a mix of everything. Poor release, fucked up release date, 8 years since reunion was announced and getting very nugnr era style b sides with slash and duff. The leak of the infintely better monsters, and then it not coming out. It's a perfect storm of shitness. I think the song is ok. 5/10, good album track with an alternative style. Released as a digital single and a vinyl b side, it's a disaster. Some clowns here will defend it, but ignore them.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, username said:

If the presence and playing of DJ Ashba

I think 2002 lineup and their VMA's performance were much worse received by public. It was seen as a freakshow with hiphop cornrow-Axl, Buckethead, Robin and all the other band members looking like from completely different bands put together. I remember late night shows like Conan making fun of them and Axl.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tboneman said:

I think 2002 lineup and their VMA's performance were much worse received by public. It was seen as a freakshow with hiphop cornrow-Axl, Buckethead, Robin and all the other band members looking like from completely different bands put together. I remember late night shows like Conan making fun of them and Axl.

A valid point. As much as most people here (including myself) look back on the 2002 lineup in general as something really special and awesome now, it got a TON of criticism at the time. It (the VMA's) was very high profile, Axl was in Mickey-mode rather than 90's mode and the band looked like a total freakshow in every way. That was a publicity disaster. And they already had a lot running against them just for not being 90's GnR. But still that performance made it worse. 

As a 18 year old kid watching it on TV, I absolutely hated it too. It went against everything that I felt GnR stood for at the time. I was genuinely PISSED. I've grown to love Buckethead's playing, but I still dislike his look. I still really dislike the look of that band in general. But man, looking back on what they were working on at the time musically, that band had the potential to be SO awesome. 

Edited by username
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

imagine thinking a song in 23 will do harm to a band that has been around for almost 40 years and has one of the biggest hits in music history, just cause some people on a forum dont like it. 

Yeah this is the situation really. 

Most people attending shows now don't even know old album tracks, let alone new b-sides. It's an irrelevance to pretty much everyone apart from us. 

What it has done is piss us all off....but then we're well used to all that. 

It hasn't done any damage to their rep in my opinion, it's just another thing on the long list of wasted opportunities. 

• Like 1

since *some* people don't like the song I suppose it's the end of the band.
Axl will probably retire after sacking the other members and play the flute in a remote area in Tibet.

R.I.P GNR, you listened to the fans and release music, your fault! :bitchfight:

Edited by DeNfr
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am not pissed off. Even if I didn't like the song I wouldn't get pissed off. It's a song. I am not a child.

I didn't get pissed off when the band released songs I do dislike, either. And I don't hear the sound issues all the sudden audio nerds whine about. 

Good for you. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Good for you. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

My pleasure.

I didn't get angry when the band released One In A Million, I didn't get angry when the band released So Fine, I didn't get angry when the band released Bad Obsession, I didn't get angry when the band released If The World, I didn't get angry when the band released This I Love. And so on. Why should I get pissed off from having more listening possibilities? I choose to not listen to what I don't like, and happily listen to what I like. 

What would make more sense would be to be angry when the band does't release new music. But I didn't get angry in the long period prior to CD when nothing was released and I didn't get angry in the long period after CD when nothing was released. I guess it would be great if my life was so harmonious that a band not releasing music was the worst thing to happen and hence would evoke my anger, but I guess I have more important things to feel passionate about. Or maybe people who get angry over trifling matters just have anger issues?

Now the band is releasing music again, albeit in drip-feed mode, and I am...happy about that. Partly because it gives me listening possibilities, but mostly because I genuinely like some of the recent releases, like Hard Skool, The General and Perhaps. It's hit or miss whether I like new GN'R music, but these I like. And fortunately I don't have big issues with the mixing, at least not to the extent it overrides me enjoying a good song. 

So yeah, I am not pissed off. Count me out of your "us".

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Haha, no. It's a good song and most people won't care about the clipping. 

99.99% of people won't even hear the clipping. And speaking to those who have heard it, most people won't even like the song! 

I like The General (it's no Monsters though). I can just about hear the clipping now it's pointed out (annoyingly).

As for reputation - it won't affect a band with the stature of GNR. It's a dodged digital track. It's a big deal to us, but nothing in the grand scale of things.

Edited by invisible_rose
  • Like 2

I believe had they really released it as The General and Monsters it could be viewed another way, but The General alone was a really bad choice, the song is bland and goes nowhere, its like a straight line. 

Monsters at least had somewhat of a catchy melody that would allow the masses to enjoy it.

Forum people like us are biased and irrelevant in the grand scheme.