Has The General done damage to gnrs rep?

It’s just odd to me, the dislike I do see (which is not universal, despite the initial post,) I don’t understand. Only because, we’re all here, we obviously KNOW the stuff like: axl is dabbling in industrial, axl loves loops, axl’s writing a song about child abuse, axl is hiring 3-4 guys in or related to Nine Inch Nails, axl doesn’t want to make appetite again, axl wants to bring gnr fans into the future and evolve the material… isn’t this EXACTLY what we’ve been reading about and/or we TOLD to expect?

I like it. It sounded just like I thought “New GNR” would go. My only complaint (regret lol) is yeah it’s a little short and yes the verses repeat and I wish there were more lyrics. But overall, satisfied. This is where it was going, guys. They won’t all be like this, but it’s certainly no surprise. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Axl did damage to my asshole once, when he HardSkool’d me in the ass.

Still waiting for him to atlas me in the mouth and monster me in the dick.

Are you sure that wasn't Fernando  ...seems like his kink more than anything 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Towelie said:

Yup, this. 

People keep banging on about the production and the bad quality etc, but to me it sounds deliberately murky, much in the same way Axl's voice was produced on Oh My God.

I don't know what clipping is and quite frankly,  I wouldn't want to listen out for it or be directed to notice something that could hamper my enjoyment of the song.

Yeah.

I wanna be angry about how poorly Raw Power by the Stooges was mixed, but no, the songs are still great. I still listen to it. The songs are more important.

6 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I don't think this will damage their reputation. Why would it?

Has any song ruined a band's rep?

I don't like the song, but I also don't repeat the fact ad nauseam in every thread.

And that is why we love you.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Draguns said:

It's funny to think that The General can cause damage when they released One in A Million back in the day. If anything One In A Million had the potential to cause much more damage to GNR, but it didn't. Additionally, the article that came out in 1994 regarding Axl 's relationship with Stephanie and Erin would have caused a ton more damage than song in 2023. 

This post is an overreaction to The General. The song is average that will not cause damage. If anything, it may even eventually enhance the reputation of GNR (Axl specifically) considering it's about child abuse. The only other song that I know of that deals with child abuse is Janine's Got a Gun. Other than that no other songs that I know of  tackle this subject matter. It may help victims of child abuse tackle their feelings on this and may be used in therapy or something. 

At worst the general becomes a piss break during their next tour for most people while a few dorks like me look forward to hearing it lol 

• Like 4

Oh my God. I just realized I got Perhaps and The General mixed up when I was saying that MANY Guns N'Roses Fans were praising the song at first, and now they're attacking it. Perhaps is the song that got a lot of praise, NOT The General. The General is getting a LOT of attacking however. 

21 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

My pleasure.

I didn't get angry when the band released One In A Million, I didn't get angry when the band released So Fine, I didn't get angry when the band released Bad Obsession, I didn't get angry when the band released If The World, I didn't get angry when the band released This I Love. And so on. Why should I get pissed off from having more listening possibilities? I choose to not listen to what I don't like, and happily listen to what I like. 

What would make more sense would be to be angry when the band does't release new music. But I didn't get angry in the long period prior to CD when nothing was released and I didn't get angry in the long period after CD when nothing was released. I guess it would be great if my life was so harmonious that a band not releasing music was the worst thing to happen and hence would evoke my anger, but I guess I have more important things to feel passionate about. Or maybe people who get angry over trifling matters just have anger issues?

Now the band is releasing music again, albeit in drip-feed mode, and I am...happy about that. Partly because it gives me listening possibilities, but mostly because I genuinely like some of the recent releases, like Hard Skool, The General and Perhaps. It's hit or miss whether I like new GN'R music, but these I like. And fortunately I don't have big issues with the mixing, at least not to the extent it overrides me enjoying a good song. 

So yeah, I am not pissed off. Count me out of your "us".

shall we call you xen monster? Nothing seems to piss you off or make you anything other than a perfect calm equilibrium of peacefulness. 

14 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

The general public will hate monsters too btw. 

I dont think it will be popular, but it will be way more popular than absurd and the general. whilst it doesnt sound like a gnr song, It is obviously slash on guitar, his tone and style and it is clearly a massive axl vocal, which most people appreciate. It'll be loved by nugnr fans, appreciated by axl and slash fans, but probably just ignored by the public, not hated. They can enjoy perhaps and hardskool, dw. 

10 hours ago, Karice said:

Wow, just literally like one MONTH ago, MANY Guns N'Roses Fans were like,"I LOVE The General," "The General is a wonderful song!" "Easily one of the best of the newer singles!"  MANY Fans are now saying,""You know, The General is actually a REALLY crappy song that shouldn't have seen the light of day." What a difference roughly a month makes. 

Edit. I wonder if many fans didn't like The General from the beginning, saw many other Fans were talking good about it, probably thought,"I don't want to look like a Debbie downer and get attacked for admitting I don't like The General, so I'll hop on the bandwagon and claim I like it too so I don't get attacked." When more and more people started talking crap about The General, those fans that falsely claimed to like it out of fear of being attacked if they bashed it could be like,"I never liked The General from the get go myself." But this is just my theory. 🤔💡

GnR fans are hypocrites, they said the evader thing was incredible and the general was shit, but they're all saying the gnr general is so much better. not the smartest fan base 

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

I dont think it will be popular, but it will be way more popular than absurd and the general. whilst it doesnt sound like a gnr song, It is obviously slash on guitar, his tone and style and it is clearly a massive axl vocal, which most people appreciate. It'll be loved by nugnr fans, appreciated by axl and slash fans, but probably just ignored by the public, not hated. They can enjoy perhaps and hardskool, dw. 

GnR fans are hypocrites, they said the evader thing was incredible and the general was shit, but they're all saying the gnr general is so much better. not the smartest fan base 

It actually turns out that I was actually talking about Perhaps when I said that MANY Fans were talking about how good the song was when it was released. I got Perhaps and The General mixed up. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What has damaged GN'Rs reputation for real and made it into a very polarizing band is obviously Axl's behaviour over the years and his divisive vocals. It's really become a love-or-hate band. 

Axl's actually REALLY calm now and lately. Extremely calm. Like family friendly calm. If you said,"His behaviour in the late 80's and early 90's, it would have made a lot more sense. 

Universal backlash my ass. I see a lot of people attempting to create this narrative that "everyone hates" The General but all I see is a bunch of knee jerk reactions and then a whole lot of people who actually gave it a proper listen or two and appreciate the song. A lot of positive comments as well.

The nonsense posted on YouTube, Facebook or Twitter is totally insignficant to a brand of GN'R proportions. 

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

Universal backlash my ass. I see a lot of people attempting to create this narrative that "everyone hates" The General but all I see is a bunch of knee jerk reactions and then a whole lot of people who actually gave it a proper listen or two and appreciate the song. A lot of positive comments as well.

The nonsense posted on YouTube, Facebook or Twitter is totally insignficant to a brand of GN'R proportions. 

Plenty of people who hate the song also gave it a proper listen.

18 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Plenty of people who hate the song also gave it a proper listen.

but it's not really universal backlash cause some people like it and even if it was, it doesn't matter or at least shouldn't matter imo. (not directed specifically at you)

I think some people expected it to blow their minds or something cause Axl doesn't release original music very often and we kinda expect Gn'R to throw us a bone once every 2 years on top of some comments made about the song which created hype so maybe the thought process was "this is what Axl chooses to release as part of the drip fed after all this time waiting?" even though we got a leak of Monsters which seems to have been recieved well around here and before the actual release of The General, when it was still fresh, some fans didn't seem to care as much about their dislike for it.

doesn't the quality of Monsters for those who agree it's a strong track is a reason to be optimistic about potential future releases from the Chinese era?

if anything, the NITL releases have shown that the tracks Axl releases or wants to release like Monsters are pretty varied in style and to some in quality as well? 

this one some people didn't like, but maybe they'll like the next release should Axl be in the mood to do it again, like Monsters I think is my point.

4 hours ago, Karice said:

Axl's actually REALLY calm now and lately. Extremely calm. Like family friendly calm. If you said,"His behaviour in the late 80's and early 90's, it would have made a lot more sense. 

Ask the general public what their opinion is of Axl and you'll get a lot of 4 letter words. People remember Axl of the 90s and haven't really changed their minds. We see he has become more professional in recent years, but we have no understanding of how combustible he is behind the scenes. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 2:29 PM, Stay.Of.Execution said:

The general public will hate monsters too btw. 

I read something like this, and all I can think is…and? How does that have any bearing on you or us or anyone? If you like it, cool. Without getting too crass…F the general public. The general public listens to shit. If we’re depending on them to tell us what good, we’re in trouble. 

7 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I read something like this, and all I can think is…and? How does that have any bearing on you or us or anyone? If you like it, cool. Without getting too crass…F the general public. The general public listens to shit. If we’re depending on them to tell us what good, we’re in trouble. 

I don't care either. My point was that people thinking The General might have a backlash because some people don't seem to like it need to realize Monsters won't be too well received by lots of outsiders either even though it seems to be a fan favourite around the hardcore fans.

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

Ask the general public what their opinion is of Axl and you'll get a lot of 4 letter words. People remember Axl of the 90s and haven't really changed their minds. We see he has become more professional in recent years, but we have no understanding of how combustible he is behind the scenes. 

As long as he's not combustible in FRONT of the scenes, it's all 😇 for me. 😀

• Like 3

On 12/15/2023 at 4:03 AM, AxlRQ93 said:

seems like there’s almost universal backlash, has it harmed their reputation you think? Could it harm sales for a future single? Havent seen this backlash to a song of theirs b4 

No! wether you like it or not is not a shame song. It is not a classic GNR song but a fuckin' good tune IMO

4 hours ago, RONIN said:

I don't think The General either helps or hurts their reputation. None of the new songs have that power although Absurd probably should have stayed unreleased. Until they release something on par with November Rain, no one will care either way - the world moved on back in '93.

As far as damage to their rep, I look at it more like a legendary movie franchise getting a sequel many many years later - years after people have built up the reputation of this franchise into a legendary and mythic entity. And usually in those cases, it's near impossible to live up to that legacy. GnR coming back over the last 7 yrs is like getting the Terminator sequels or the Star Wars prequels/sequels instead of Rambo 4 or Top Gun Maverick. A really mixed bag with some positives and enough negatives where it starts to affect your memories/feelings towards the band (imho). A lot of that is a function of just how high they flew and the heights they scaled. In the case of GnR, they would have had to pull of the competence and professionalism of Metallica along with capturing the incredible songwriting and reckless spirit of their early years which was just not going to happen. I will give them credit for the 3.5 hour shows and Axl giving it everything he had night after night on tour for 7 years - that was an upgrade from the old Axl who lacked consistency and the grit to tough it out in bad circumstances. Some of those songs can be dropped from the setlist though - an all killer no filler setlist would likely go down better than the extended setlist, but I understand why they're playing longer given their past history.

Also for a song to ruin their reputation, they'd need to be relevant which they are not (which legacy band is - even Metallica is borderline at this point). Things that actually continue to hurt their reputation are what Soulmonster alluded to earlier, his voice and reputation - seems like some people never got over Axl's 90's behavior and will not give him another chance. The recent rape accusation won't help either in a post- #metoo world. As he said, Rose is a love/hate type of character similar in some ways to Michael Jackson. The legacy is complicated for the public - and whether you like him or not will dictate how open you are to the music.

Come on man! Do you like the song or not? As we all here want a new record, the sad true is that nobody would give a freakin dime about it, GNR is a classic band and everybody just want WTTJ or SCOM. Metallica is a band I have a huge respect, but they can't drop Enter Sandman or Master of Puppets from the set, even having a catalog x10 compared to GNR. 

• Like 2