Richard Fortus phenomenal guitar work with Pale Divine, the guy is a monster

Out of all the nuGNR era guys, I always really liked Fortus the best I think.  He has the chops and the ability to just lay it down rhythmically, and having that sort of sweet spot of being able to do the Chinese-era shred stuff but also the blues rock elements to fit with the old stuff too

I dig his playing in that video

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

I'd really like to hear Fortus take the lead on There Was A Time, and Shackler's if they ever bring that back. His solos on CD, SOD and Madagascar are all solid, and definitely better than how Slash plays the CD songs.

I've mentioned this before, but if they ever do attempt to write new music I'd love to hear a long, epic instrumental - Axl driving the song on piano while Slash and Richard trade solos for like 10 minutes...

• Like 3
  • PERHAPS 1

On 12/23/2023 at 5:06 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Good to see you @Caraibes1! I enjoy your Fortus- posting. Some people think it’s him and Slash at the end of Monsters (I think it’s just Slash)

I’ve been thinking the opposite lately, I think it’s actually all Fortus. Slash’s playing hasn’t been that delicate and low gain in any of the other new singles. It sounds more like two Fortus takes blending into each other a la Street of Dreams.

what is making you think all Slash?

18 hours ago, bmus1 said:

I’ve been thinking the opposite lately, I think it’s actually all Fortus. Slash’s playing hasn’t been that delicate and low gain in any of the other new singles. It sounds more like two Fortus takes blending into each other a la Street of Dreams.

what is making you think all Slash?

Because it's all signature Slash. The last part of the outro COULD be Fortus.

On 12/23/2023 at 11:59 PM, Caraibes1 said:

Seriously, I'm blown away, look at this incredible solo, the guy can play AND write great stuff!

He could bring so much on the table with Slash on a full new GN'R album... hope to hear his talent on new songs!

eh... I like Richard, I really like him with Slash but for me, this isn't great. It's fine, but it just doesn't have the depth of playing that I appreciate in solos in that style. It's not like one big connected melody with twists and turns for example, which is just what I prefer personally. Every player is different, but since this is a Gn'R forum, if you take a great Slash solo and pick it apart, it's like a song within a song where every note counts even when he's playing at a high speed. With Richard here, it just sounds like a collection of licks that aren't as musical as something which never loses direction. Still, a very talented player, I just never got the same feeling that I got from Slash, Robin, or Bucket for example where it seems like they have something more unique to say with their lead playing.

I'm still a fan though and I don't mean to shit on his playing but there is something too orderly about it for my taste, if that makes sense.

His James Bond solo is definitely one of my favourite GN’R solo spots. Amazing player who gels perfectly with Slash imo. 

I actually got to play on one of his old amps about six years ago, my teacher/mentor had bought it from him I think. Was a fun little niche GN’R-moment for me.