What do you love most bout GNR? 🤔

I like Gn'Rs particular blend of influences and how they took some of the best elements of AC/DC, Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, Aerosmith, The Stones, The Sex Pistols, etc and made it totally their own and fresh sounding, especially with AFD.

I also like it about bands like Gn'R, that every band member can only really do his own thing as opposed to some musicians who just do most of the writing or all of it themselves. (which I also like, but it's more a vision of one person or at least less band members) I think that it left room for each classic Gn'R member to provide their ingredient to the musical blend and balancing one another's influences and approach thanks to their flawless musical chemistry.

in every classic Gn'R band member's solo catalog/new Gn'R/project that lack of balance is strogly felt imo in sound, approach, and taste that sometimes takes over the album and that's logical but in old Gn'R they often sounded like this one cohesive musical entity which had many interesting sides to it and that is part of the reason of how great it was imo.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I like Gn'Rs particular blend of influences and how they took some of the best elements of AC/DC, Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, Aerosmith, The Stones, The Sex Pistols, etc and made it totally their own and fresh sounding, especially with AFD.

I also like it about bands like Gn'R, that every band member can only really do his own thing as opposed to some musicians who just do most of the writing or all of it themselves. (which I also like, but it's more a vision of one person or at least less band members) I think that it left room for each classic Gn'R member to provide their ingredient to the musical blend and balancing one another's influences and approach thanks to their flawless musical chemistry.

in every classic Gn'R band member's solo catalog/new Gn'R/project that lack of balance is strogly felt imo in sound, approach, and taste that sometimes takes over the album and that's logical but in old Gn'R they often sounded like this one cohesive musical entity which had many interesting sides to it and that is part of the reason of how great it was imo.

Well said. I still wonder if Axl, Slash and Duff ever really realized this to this day.

1) Axl’s sense of melody just realllly speaks to me. He writes and delivers vocals in a way I find catchy, even in the songs that I don’t like as much.

2) good riff driven hard rock with the coolest sounding guitar tones in the whole business

I love their charisma, passion, their love for Fans, their dignity, integrity, self respect, pride,(I'm so glad that Axl Rose has never done a reality TV Show like Rose Of Love like a certain Poison Member did, "Cough Bret Michaels and Rock Of Love," cough, the songs, the dance moves. 😀

• Like 1

Axl's unique raspy voice, best front man in the world IMO

Axl's creative lyrics

Slash's blues based guitar solos/riffs which make his guitar speak and really complement Axl's voice. Tone/style instantly identifiable as GUNS.

Integrity of the band - do and say what they feel

Songs based in reality with real meaning behind them - authenticity 

Originality - stage outfits, 9 minute epic songs, epic music videos, combination of punk and hard rock. 

Energy/power - The songs, the concerts, always make you feel alive/involved

Apply to current band and conclude accordingly :bitchfight:

• Like 2

Very hard question to tackle. 

I'd maybe say that they have songs for every mood/thing. They have songs can you move to, nod your head to, reminisce to, fuck to, mourn to ect ect. They had all bases covered and didn't settle for being a band that just did one thing well.

Also there is what can be perceived by others to be a stubborn 'they left a lot of money on the table' attitude about the band from people (which i get). & I get & agree that many of their choices over the years obviously don't seem like a good idea but here's the thing, rightly or wrongly it comes down to the decisions of one person & that guy is going to do what he is going to do. I respect the determination and will to bet on his own desires and choices in the face of all logic, I think that's pretty rare & whilst it often leads to me not getting the things i want, in the timeframe i would like it... I have to at least respect it.

So that..... & probably There Was A Time.

41 minutes ago, Karice said:

I'm so glad that Axl Rose has never done a reality TV Show like Rose Of Love like a certain Poison Member did

I think there's something to this point as well. By limiting exposure, or the wrong types of exposure over the years, there was kind of a bit of a mystique thing that happened in the eyes of a lot of fans. I'm not saying it's on that level now but in the early 2000's for example when we had no idea what was going on it just made you want to know even more.

• Like 2

The emotional abuse, definitely. 

But before that I was pulled in by the uniqueness of Axl’s voice. Particularly, the Live Era version of Yesterdays and the ending of the studio version of Patience. To me, no one has ever or will ever have a voice like him again. 

Axl's voice and  his charisma was one of the aspects that brought me into GNR. I also liked Slash's guitar playing and how he looked. He just had a rock star appearance.  The other aspect  was the attitude of the AFD5. They were determined to make it and told those who were against them to F off. That's was what I needed when I was fighting for my civil rights to a public education. 

• Like 1