The General Music Video Discussion Thread

On 1/24/2024 at 10:45 PM, F*ck Fear said:

All this talk about "at least they put in an effort"

Guns N' Roses didn't make an effort. It's fucking computer generated.

The only effort put in was the performance the "live" footage come from :lol:

Yes, but the effort is guns n roses hiring someone to make a video for the song.

Of course going the extra mile and actually appearing in the video beyond live footage would have been great... But this is gnr effort we're talking about, it's minimal effort at best.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I wonder if this video will get a Blu-ray release. :P

Just kidding! Don't want to give them any ideas.

Maybe a bonus feature on a proper live Blu-Ray....now that's an idea I want them to have and finally birth! Release one or sell the reunion live/docu to Netflix or Disney (they are enjoying streaming gigs of late) and make the fan base happy in the "quiet" transition year...🤞

• Like 2

1 minute ago, colonizedmind said:

Maybe a bonus feature on a proper live Blu-Ray....now that's an idea I want them to have and finally birth! Release one or sell the reunion live/docu to Netflix or Disney (they are enjoying streaming gigs of late) and make the fan base happy in the "quiet" transition year...🤞

I lost you at "make the fan base happy"......

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I am sort of surprised that so many seem to almost loath The General, the song. I mean, clipping issues and poor mix aside and too late and not living up to expectations and all that, valid or not, to me it is still a decent rocking song. The chorus is very classic Guns to me, with driving power chords under a belting Axl. Axl even puts in some really fierce attack into the, "ones who understand". People always mention the bridge in Monsters, well, you have the same anger in that line in the General chorus. And the drums are great.

It could be a good song as there are some strong melodies in Axls singing and in the guitar work, but to my ears, it's all buried beneath that shitty production, coupled with the creative choice of heavily distorted vocals. That's something I really can't ignore, sadly. Still I find the "my only regret..." line stuck in my head again and again.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Spoon87 said:

It could be a good song as there are some strong melodies in Axls singing and in the guitar work, but to my ears, it's all buried beneath that shitty production, coupled with the creative choice of heavily distorted vocals. That's something I really can't ignore, sadly. Still I find the "my only regret..." line stuck in my head again and again.

I understand and can appreciate some vocal distortion, when used appropriately. (Like in Perhaps, on one line, which is also present in the 2000 mix) but for The General, it makes the lyrics in places unintelligible. I only understand most of the song now, despite no official lyrics being published, based on unofficial lyrics and discussions here on what Ax is singing. 

Makes production on 1999 Oh My God seem good. 

I wonder how much better the 2010 (or whatever) mixes were of these songs were from a production standpoint. I would imagine better based on the 2008 album vs reheated leftovers of NITL.

On 1/25/2024 at 7:26 PM, SoulMonster said:

I know you didn't ask me, but I got curious and looked into it. 

This list shows the most expensive music videos: List of most expensive music videos - Wikipedia

As you can see, Estranged cost about 10 mio in today's money. Rammstein isn't on the list, but in this thread you can see someone put it at 6 mio: 

I don't know how reliable that source is, though.

Still, if we trust it then when accounting for inflation, Estranged was more expensive than Deutschland. 

Still, the argument doesn't makes sense, cherry-picking the most expensive video created in recent times will not refute the argument that videos are much less important for artists now than they were back in the days of MTV. You'd have to compare average expenditure per artist on music videos, per their total budgets. I would be extremely surprised if artists don't typically spend less on videos today than in the 80s and 90s when videos were one of the main sources of getting new fans. 

Yeah, I also noticed that Reddit post. Everybody can make up those kind of numbers, well almost everybody but that jackass here who claimed that he knows what the budget was :D

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I understand and can appreciate some vocal distortion, when used appropriately. (Like in Perhaps, on one line, which is also present in the 2000 mix) but for The General, it makes the lyrics in places unintelligible. I only understand most of the song now, despite no official lyrics being published, based on unofficial lyrics and discussions here on what Ax is singing. 

Makes production on 1999 Oh My God seem good. 

I could understand and appreciate some vocal distortion if it'd be one or two songs in a huge body of work, but as we're being dripfed so few songs and wish so much for more songs with Axls one of a kind voice, it's almost pissing me off that he chose to use this feature instead of letting is amazing voice shine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spoon87 said:

I could understand and appreciate some vocal distortion if it'd be one or two songs in a huge body of work, but as we're being dripfed so few songs and wish so much for more songs with Axls one of a kind voice, it's almost pissing me off that he chose to use this feature instead of letting is amazing voice shine.

When it was written it belonged to a huge body of work.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Spoon87 said:

The dripfed process is near agonizing. I suppose it could be worse. The closest thing we had to the 2008 album was the 2019 leaks. I wonder how many, if any of these singles will even end up on an album or some sort of bastardized complication. Almost all of the songs are not mixed in a fashion that are suitable for an album, at least not together without being remixed and remastered. 

30 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

When it was written it belonged to a huge body of work.

It's a damn shame we never got CD2. I hope, by some act of God or a fan crazier/more connected than me, we get it all leaked as it was in 2010 or whatever. I think that would be closure for a lot of people. The 2004-2014 CD2, remix album, and re-recorded AFD. That's what we need. :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Senor_peligro13 said:

Amazing song and video.

brillaint. The minimalistic beats reminds me of sleaford mods, maybe they are fans.

GnR still doing their own thing, they’ve never made safe music. Fuck the haters, you sound like my parents 30 years ago. Listen to yourselves😊

Does anyone else see a creepy Epstein image at 2:54.?

The problem is, it's us "parents" that grew up with this band when they were huge.  This song wouldn't have been that good then, and is just ok now.  

Guys… I’m starting to like the MV (and song) more and more upon each watch/listen. And I appreciate the concept art provided now. But alas, everyone is entitled to their opinions, this one is just one o’ mine. :headbang:

Edited by GNRRHCP98
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Uncle Bob said:

Screenshot_2024-01-26-23-55-32-69_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg

The Sketch is a real thing and looks good, I can also shove a bunch of pictures into an AI converter. Jesus, they really don't get the issue is not the art style or even that it involves AI, its that the AI they used is CANCER alpha gen quality.
Like if they released the song unmixed and unmastered, it's not the message portrayed or composition of the song, it's that it would sound like shit.
In this case, the AI looks like shit.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Trin9498 said:

The general would be 1000x better without the vocal distortion 

The video would be 100 times better without that God awful song.

I just can't listen to it.

It's that bad...makes me long for the days of "pussy full of maggots"

Serioisly, what the hell happened to this band?

32 minutes ago, Illusion1987 said:

Seriously, what the hell happened to this band?

The lead singer decided to take the name and create a new business/legal entity called Guns N Roses, ending the old partnership/band that had that name. He used the Guns N Roses name for his solo project instead of calling it Axl Rose. 

In 2016 the old partnership was reformed with the name Guns N Roses but songs from the Axl Rose project re-recorded are still getting released under the Guns N Roses name.

In simple words, it went wrong when Axl Rose considered Guns n roses as his solo and only project in life.

Edited by GNROSAS
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1