The General Music Video Discussion Thread

Just now, Sweersa said:

Yeah, it's certainly an interesting thought. I believe the last time the band had any creative output of new material was the Bucket/Robin era. We have yet to be shown that not to be the case.

The one thing we don't know, since Slash and Duff have some writing credits on TG (and maybe eventually Monsters) how much they contributed to the final product (playing aside) in terms of arranging, additions or changes to the earlier versions, etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

personally I will definitely complain about the absence of Matt Sorum :bitchfight:

Shoot, I hadn't thought about the drums. So if they actually write and record new material, it will probably have Frank on drums. Could they call in Brain?

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think the main "complaint" would be that they should have gotten Izzy.

There will also probably be conspiracy theories by some people (especially if there are songs they like) that the songs have not been really written by the current lineup but by Buckethead etc.

i think if there were any conspiracy theories it would be that they had used AI vocals on the album tracks

42 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Shoot, I hadn't thought about the drums. So if they actually write and record new material, it will probably have Frank on drums. Could they call in Brain?

yeah it will change the dynamics between drums and bass and the whole sound.
no way they'll call Brain back or call another drummer it would be a real snub and insulting.

11 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

yeah it will change the dynamics between drums and bass and the whole sound.
no way they'll call Brain back or call another drummer it would be a real snub and insulting.

I suppose, but isn't Frank more or less a touring member? He was on some of CD, and possibly Hard Skool? Brain still hangs out with the band too, so you never know. Melissa could probably have him bang out a song or two. ;) 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I suppose, but isn't Frank more or less a touring member? He was on some of CD, and possibly Hard Skool? Brain still hangs out with the band too, so you never know. Melissa could probably have him bang out a song or two. ;) 

I think Brain is the studio drummer and Frank is there for touring just my opinion

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alfa75 said:

The one thing we don't know, since Slash and Duff have some writing credits on TG (and maybe eventually Monsters) how much they contributed to the final product (playing aside) in terms of arranging, additions or changes to the earlier versions, etc.

The General sounds a lot like new Guns too me but the guitar work during the verses of Monsters is way too Slashy to not be new arranged imo…

5 hours ago, alfa75 said:

Anyone else here get the feeling that even IF they write and record a brand new album, with the NITL lineup, that perhaps a majority here will complain anyway about how:

-It's nowhere near as good as AFD or UYI

-It sounds old school compared to CD

-It would have sounded SOOOO much better with BH and/or Finck.

I am not sure there really is any pleasing the majority of the fanbase here, short of AFD II, which would also probably be criticised for it's lack of innovation.

An a NewGnr nostalgia fan, I say no. I for one, don't think that way. You cannot just conclude the majority's opinion using this thread as your fact.

This Music Video was garbage. The vibe you see is not limited to MyGnr forum. It's everywhere, from youtube comments to instagram to twitter to the word on the streets and in Hard Rock Cafe!

Needless to say Perhaps didn't get the same negative reaction, same with Ritz 91, Axl+Carrie Underwood, Axl/DC and so on. I would go as far as saying that Rock The Rock didn't get as much backlash as this stinky piece of AI.

This thing, sir, was wrong on many aspects. 

• Like 3

I've always been confused about what Frank played on CD. I know he's said the title track is the only song he did "by himself" but he's credited on Better, TWAT, ITW, and IRS as well. TWAT and IRS sound like him to me, Better I remember reading he just did the editing on Brain's parts but maybe there's more than that?

Hard Skool sounds like Frank but even his part live is a little more natural sounding than the recording. If it's not Brain, I have to imagine there's a more Freese-inspired version of HS with Brain on drums.

1 hour ago, DeNfr said:

Brain left in 2006 ("the fun of Axl and the attitude kind of went away") and Frank
is the official drummer since and played parts on the last album to officialize it.

There's a photo of the band from around 2009 with Brain in there. Maybe it was 2008. I don't think that particular tour happened though. this was before the Asian shows, when they were planning on having two drummers.

21 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

I've always been confused about what Frank played on CD. I know he's said the title track is the only song he did "by himself" but he's credited on Better, TWAT, ITW, and IRS as well. TWAT and IRS sound like him to me, Better I remember reading he just did the editing on Brain's parts but maybe there's more than that?

Hard Skool sounds like Frank but even his part live is a little more natural sounding than the recording. If it's not Brain, I have to imagine there's a more Freese-inspired version of HS with Brain on drums.

There might be some info here: OCTOBER 2006 [?] FRANK RECORDS FOR CHINESE DEMOCRACY

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 12:47 PM, El Guapo said:

Well, when they released the Perhaps video there was only good vibes around here, I can't recall much complaining.

Because it was a good, solid release. 

Surprised to hear the Perhaps video was received so well around here. I watched it around the time it came out and about two seconds in I immediately thought people were going to hate it!

10 hours ago, Sweersa said:

He didn't play on Hard Skool, that was Brain.

The only reason Frank hasn't played on any of the new singles is because they just had Slash, Duff, Richard, and Melissa work with completed parts (likely during lockdown) to get the songs over the line. It makes no sense to spend time and money rerecording the drums when Frank's not a prominent member and the existing tracks would suffice – especially since he likely doesn't have the luxury of a home studio to record drums in

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

Surprised to hear the Perhaps video was received so well around here. I watched it around the time it came out and about two seconds in I immediately thought people were going to hate it!

I love it. Watching Perhaps video makes me want to go see GnR concert. The General video makes me want to .. I don't know... shut off every electronic device in my flat! 😄

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

It was a more appealing song, which certainly helped. Plus, it was all (basically) released at the same time too, so the overall experience was different.

13 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

I don't think we got definitive proof of that, outside of Melissa's website saying Brain played on it. If it was Brain, they heavily processed the drums and sucked all the life out of them.

• ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I don't think we got definitive proof of that, outside of Melissa's website saying Brain played on it. If it was Brain, they heavily processed the drums and sucked all the life out of them.

That's proof enough. She's in the damn band and is his closest collaborator! 😂

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

The only reason Frank hasn't played on any of the new singles is because they just had Slash, Duff, Richard, and Melissa work with completed parts (likely during lockdown) to get the songs over the line. It makes no sense to spend time and money rerecording the drums when Frank's not a prominent member and the existing tracks would suffice – especially since he likely doesn't have the luxury of a home studio to record drums in

Frank is already a multi-millionaire from being in GNR for 17 years at this point. I’m sure that he could a build a home studio if he wanted to.