The General Music Video Discussion Thread

41 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Frank is already a multi-millionaire from being in GNR for 17 years at this point. I’m sure that he could a build a home studio if he wanted to.

And yet he still didn't feature on any of the recent releases, so no sure why that matters 🤷‍♂️

Just now, GNRRHCP98 said:

Re: GNR account’s most recent post showcasing concept art from the music video… am I the only one who thinks it gives more credence to the theory that “TG” and “Monsters” were supposed to be released together? :o

100%

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MJRoses23 said:

100%

It’s like… at this point, they know WE KNOW of it (heck, most of us have heard it/have it).. why not just release it? I don’t think anyone is gonna lose sleep over it not coinciding with some tour dates.

• Like 1

Had this response from the creative works guys - what easter eggs do you think they are referring to?

Jimi Chialoufas
Was the video initially supposed to be The General and Monsters combined? Hence the constant reference to monsters in the vid and original artwork?
  • 34m

8iuTX4LlGZO.pngAuthor
Creative Works London
Jimi Chialoufas nope, nothing to do with each other, Monsters tend to appear in children's Nightmares , that's why there are some in there. There's absolutely no hidden references or anything to any other track.
25m

Jimi Chialoufas
Creative Works Londonfair enough, thanks for getting back to me
  • 17m

8iuTX4LlGZO.pngAuthor
Creative Works London
Jimi Chialoufas there's a few other Easter eggs in there , see if you can find them 😉
  • Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 10:49 AM, JimiRose said:

Had this response from the creative works guys - what easter eggs do you think they are referring to?

Jimi Chialoufas
Was the video initially supposed to be The General and Monsters combined? Hence the constant reference to monsters in the vid and original artwork?
  • 34m

8iuTX4LlGZO.pngAuthor
Creative Works London
Jimi Chialoufas nope, nothing to do with each other, Monsters tend to appear in children's Nightmares , that's why there are some in there. There's absolutely no hidden references or anything to any other track.

25m

Jimi Chialoufas
Creative Works Londonfair enough, thanks for getting back to me

• 17m

8iuTX4LlGZO.pngAuthor
Creative Works London
Jimi Chialoufas there's a few other Easter eggs in there , see if you can find them 😉

I know who you are:awesomeface:

• Haha 1

How Guns N' Roses Used AI to Create Wild New Music Video 'The General'

Design studio Creative Works London turned to Stable Diffusion to create the Guns N' Roses video’s unsettling, dreamlike visuals.

https://decrypt.co/215062/how-guns-n-roses-used-ai-create-wild-new-music-video-genera

A.png

SAD.png

download.jpeg

So this article confirms Fernando pushed for this crap. 
These guys are still acting and talking about the whole thing like it's something outstanding and out of this world. 

I have nothing against them, only about the their unprofessional way of responding to negative reactions.

This website where this was posted is some cryptobro website by the way. Not surprising.
"Demystifying Bitcoin, Ethereum, and the decentralized web. Follow us for clear crypto news and explainers."

Edited by Uncle Bob
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

Design studio Creative Works London turned to Stable Diffusion to create the Guns N' Roses video’s unsettling, dreamlike visuals.

https://decrypt.co/215062/how-guns-n-roses-used-ai-create-wild-new-music-video-genera

A.png

SAD.png

download.jpeg

These guys are still acting and talking about the whole thing like it's something outstanding and out of this world. 

I have nothing against them, only about the their unprofessional way of responding to negative reactions.

This website where this was posted is some cryptobro website by the way. Not surprising.
"Demystifying Bitcoin, Ethereum, and the decentralized web. Follow us for clear crypto news and explainers."

So they were making it with Unreal Engine and scrapped it to use AI? It would be 10000x better.

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

So they were making it with Unreal Engine and scrapped it to use AI? It would be 10000x better.

Yeah. There's even a comparison of the original render vs the AI thing. Which still doesn't look very good but better.

The start of the video seems that still has some CGI on it, although AI-fied.

To be honest, reading this reminded me of situations where at work after weeks working on something I would be told to stop and do some dumb changes to it. I want to believe they just did what they were told but still didn't really enjoy being told to do that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

I think their reactions were not so much to people who said they didn't like the video, but mostly to those who said it didn't take any effort to make it and it was just generated in minutes with AI software.

I'm not a fan of the video either and their reaction was a bit over the top, but I kind of understand it, because clearly there was a concept and some creative work done, it was not just AI generated images.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think their reactions were not so much to people who said they didn't like the video, but mostly to those who said it didn't take any effort to make it and it was just generated in minutes with AI software.

I'm not a fan of the video either and their reaction was a bit over the top, but I kind of understand it, because clearly there was a concept and some creative work done, it was not just AI generated images.

I was one of the people that they replied to and I didn't really say that. I mostly said it didn't look good and that even if there is an intention, there is not any clear concept in the video other than some child walking around digievolving like a digimon and multiplying like a Gremlin (not in this way tho lol) and gave my reasonings. To this day they are still being childish referencing one of the responses they gave to me.

Screenshot_2024-01-28-03-14-04-66.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

Yeah. There's even a comparison of the original render vs the AI thing. Which still doesn't look very good but better.

The start of the video seems that still has some CGI on it, although AI-fied.

To be honest, reading this reminded me of situations where at work after weeks working on something I would be told to stop and do some dumb changes to it. I want to believe they just did what they were told but still didn't really enjoy being told to do that.

Don't think i saw that comparison, but I believe the CGI would at least fix my main issue with the whole thing, which is the constant moving parts and lack of focus. I'm being serious: the video should have a warning for photo-sensitive persons.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

I was one of the people that they replied to and I didn't really say that. I mostly said it didn't look good and that even if there is an intention, there is not any clear concept in the video other than some child walking around digievolving like a digimon and multiplying like a Gremlin (not in this way tho lol) and gave my reasonings. To this day they are still being childish referencing one of the responses they gave to me.

Screenshot_2024-01-28-03-14-04-66.jpg

Yeah, I don't remember all the comments on their social media and like I said their responses were a bit over the top. I think this was their first work on a music video and so they took some of the criticism to it to heart.

• Like 2

Another article:

https://bnnbreaking.com/arts/guns-n-roses-leverages-generative-ai-for-new-music-video-the-general/

While the initial plan was to create a fully animated video using the Unreal Engine, the project took a fascinating turn when the band’s management introduced Creative Works to the DiffuseTogether generative AI competition. The contest, inspired by famed musician Peter Gabriel, set the stage for a new dimension of creative expression.

I guess the idea had something to do with the fact that Peter Gabriel has always been a pioneer in the music video department, so someone from the GN'R camp thought that the use of AI would be a real novelty that could create some buzz.

Interestingly, Peter Gabriel's Digging In The Dirt was the outro song played over the PA on the last tour, and the outro songs are usually picked by Axl.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Don't think i saw that comparison, but I believe the CGI would at least fix my main issue with the whole thing, which is the constant moving parts and lack of focus. I'm being serious: the video should have a warning for photo-sensitive persons.

asasassa.jpg

I'm not any of that and even if I wear anti blue light glasses, my eyes hurt after seeing this video.

Edited by Uncle Bob
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Bob said:

A.png

SAD.png

download.jpeg

"About six weeks into production the band manager sent him a link to generative AI competition"

Fernando: Yo, here's the Peter Gabriel AI thing. Make it like that

CWL: Yes sure

Fernando: So... now that we do AI, please revise the quotation from USD 50,000 to USD 2,000.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Wouldn't it be hilarious if they'd use the exact same video AGAIN for Monsters?

Very cost effective too, they could sell it like "it's never done before and connects the two songs in a genius way" or something. :D

Fully expect them to use AI for any future videos. The head of the studio seems to be an AI bro.

• Like 1