DJ Ashba: Axl Rose Wanted Me To Be A Part Of Guns N' Roses Reunion

DJ ASHBA: AXL ROSE Wanted Me To Be A Part Of GUNS N' ROSES Reunion

April 29, 2016

Former GUNS N' ROSES and current SIXX: A.M. guitarist DJ Ashba says that GN'R singer Axl Rose wanted him to be a part of a partial reunion of the band's classic lineup but he "just didnt feel like it was [his] place."  

Ashba, who joined GUNS N' ROSES in March 2009 following the departure of Robin Finck and stayed in the band until last July, was asked by Metal Insider if he knew that the GN'R reunion was going to happen this year. He responded: "Absolutely. In fact, Axl wanted me to be a part of it.   

"I couldn't be more happy for it happening," he continued. "I was stoked to find out about it.  

"People have got to remember, if I wasn't a fan of the band, I wouldn't have joined the band.  

"I have great admiration for Axl, Slash and Duff [McKagan] and Steven [Adler], Izzy [Stradlin] and [what] everybody's put into that thing. I have even more respect now after playing in the band for so many years. 

"I couldn't be more happy. I'm just as big a fan as I've always been.  

"I'm so happy for the fans that they get to go out there and see at least half of the band reunited; it's a big deal. This is what the fans have been wanting, me included in that."  He also explained why he chose to exit GUNS N' ROSES before the band made its return to the live stage earlier this month.

He said: "I just didn't feel like it was my place.  

"If Slash has come back, I couldn't be more happy; this is great. At that point, it's best I go do what I'm really good at doing. It's kind of the best of both worlds. I get to have my favorite band back and I get to go play in my favorite band again. It's a win-win."   

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dj-ashba-axl-rose-wanted-me-to-be-a-part-of-guns-n-roses-reunion/

Edited by Funky.Monkey
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, xBrownstonex said:

Why would he want dj in this?

Moral support?  I can't think of any other reason why because there isn't anything he would musically bring to the table.  There is no need for a 3rd guitarist to muddy up the guitar interplay and DJ is arguably the least great player to be in GNR ever

Maybe he thought Guns fans would have given him even more shit. When you can compare Slash to DJ after every show, wouldn't be pretty. Fortus gets shit now that Slash is back, can you imagine the backlash?

I believe him when he says he is a fan though. It's clear he was influenced by Slash as a "guitar player".

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

I take it with a grain of salt. DJ doesn't really look good if he says he was given the boot.

No one got booted. Bumble left and Tommy left... Axl had a bass spot and a lead guitar spot. He had 3 choices... Fill the bass spot and have DJ be sole lead, fill lead and bass with random musicians, or bring back 2 former members he now got along with... I think he made the right choice. If Frank quit, we'd probably see Matt or brain back.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Glow Inc. said:

One thing is for sure, Axl is a loyal dude. And Dj did the right thing, as much as I like walls of sound, three guitarists would have been overkill with Slash back.

Agreed. Also, in the past, the thing about the 3 guitarists was that each of them had a distinctive style. But with Slash on stage, DJ would really come across as a copycat and would serve no purpose.

• Like 1

Axl is one crazy son of a bitch. He might as well have just asked bumble, buckethead, Finck, Stinson,etc, to all be part of this. It would have been the rock n roll circus world tour.

Axl doesn't understand the concept of a reunion.

p.s thank you, Ashba. At least he understood the importance of this.

Edited by SWINGTRADER
  • Like 1