Please bring back Illusions/Ritz version of Knockin' On Heavens Door

I concur. I love the band right now and will take whatever I can get. Stunned and happy to see Slash, Duff, and Axl again. But, there are a few things like this I could nitpick about. I much, much, much prefer the Illusions version. Also, Argentina 93 KOHD was pretty sweet. I noticed Slash's rhythm bit towards the end of the new version came from this performance. Pretty neat.

Edited by pugachev
  • Like 2

I always preferred the Appetite line- up's version of the song. 

The Illusion version isn't great, album and especially live.

The slow version in 2002 was pretty great, but this being the original trio, I'd like to hear it in the Appetite style.

I haven't seen any songs yet due to spoilers. How exactly are they playing it now? I assumed they'd at least play it like the Ritz version again since they're "reunited". Are they playing it like Nu-GNR? Please tell me no.

Only a complete dork would change the old version of KOHD to the boring crap we have now. I sometimes wish slash and Duff would just say " fuck it" and go back to the old version on the spot. And I mean the 80's version. 

Edited by SWINGTRADER
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Let me start off by saying I'm extremely excited about "Not in This Lifetime Tour".  No one would have believed this was really happening just 2 years ago.  It's a dream come true for myself and millions of fans around the world!

The shows have been awesome so far!  I've already seen them twice in Vegas and will be at the Orlando show.

KOHD is a cover but G N' R reinvented the song and made it their own.  The Ritz version has become an all-time classic and the Illusions version is a "beefed up" version of the Ritz version.  It's a timeless classic.

The "Nu Guns" version never came close to capturing the energy the Illusions version had.  And although the current version is a sort of a "hybrid" between the two, it just isn't the same.  The fast, strong start of the Illusions version is what makes it what it is and was.

Please go back to the Illusions version of KOHD and give the song the justice it deserves, alongside with the rest of the classics.

Go GNF'NR!!!!

I agree with you Alex....other than I'd prefer they just dump the song and play Breakdown or Locomotive instead (or a combination of two from UYI we don't hear like Perfect Crime/Breakdown).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nintari said:

I haven't seen any songs yet due to spoilers. How exactly are they playing it now? I assumed they'd at least play it like the Ritz version again since they're "reunited". Are they playing it like Nu-GNR? Please tell me no.

It's closer to the UYI version than anything. It's a bit more laid back a la the NuGNR version, but the similarities more or less end there. 

The UYI Version with Slash's Only women bleed Intro is musically perfect. Its almost as good as Hendrixs All along the watchtower when it comes to Dylan song interpretations. The Freddie Mercury Tribute Performance is THE gnr live performance in peoples minds. With Tracey and Roberta it has a great lynyrd skynyrd vibe. It had the vibe of freedom. And this vibe is totally lost since 1993. The 2016 version is horrible.PC is horrible as well, because it's too fast and has the wrong vibe as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

It's the way they start it off.  It's calm but full of energy....and it explodes into the song....incredible and classic.....this is the same version the Illusions version came from.

Yeah this is the KOHD version that I like the most. :headbang:

• Like 1

Not a fan of the current version either although it sounds a bit better now than in April.. I liked the old Ritz style versions. The Illusions versions were great too although I can do without the Reggae part at this point. The 93 versions were fucking awesome.. Some of Slash's best extended solos were during that song and now he never seems like he has a chance to find his groove because he has to go back and forth with Fortus. A bit of a buzz kill.

Maybe Guns would need some outsider who knows their songs by heart to tell them where they are doing it "wrong". Like how Axl corrected AC/DC on some songs because they had been playing them differently for years. What was great about Guns covering other songs was that they made them their own. That's what The Seeker is missing. If Axl was younger, I'm sure we might hear a bit different vocal styles on that song.

1 hour ago, Billsfan said:

I vote to stop stretching knockin and rocket queen into 20 minute songs so maybe we can work in a slither or sorry, or even perfect crime!! Get in the ring!! 

Is it OK if I agree with you on something?  Because I agree with you on this!   

• Like 1