How did Slash agree to play all these Chinese songs?

Considering two of the guy's from 'CD' era are involved still, I'm sure it just seemed fair to Slash and Duff to keep a few of them songs they helped to record and not just chuck them away for good. Either way, not all fans are too happy about it but I actually really dig the new Better and its great to hear Slash's take on them as we all discussed in the past what Slash would sound like on them or if he could even play them at all :) 

• Like 1

I think Slash recognizes Chinese democracy for the incredible album it is, and was probably intrigued with wondering what it would be like to play the material. He rejoined guns n roses, which is Axls band, and probably was eased into it a little bit by Duff. Duff said on jerichos podcast a while back that it was cool to learn guns n roses songs he had never been on, and he cited catcher in the rye as something that really moved him.

This whole reforming has been a lot of compromise between 3 guys now willing to work together again.. And hey, they could play slither. They brought back coma. Axl Rose is a man of integrity and willing to compromise to make sure everyone is happy, not just him. And it's great to see

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BadApples87 said:

It's a tip of the hat by Slash and Duff to play his Chinese songs.   Make Axl feel good.  It's a give and take to make the thing work for everyone.

Besides, Slash gets to play all of his Amazing stuff with Myles and the gang all the time.  VR and Slash w/Myles both MUCH BETTER than Chinese Democracy I might add.

AL and WOF aren't exactly what I would call "amazing stuff".

15 minutes ago, EvH said:

AL and WOF aren't exactly what I would call "amazing stuff".

Battleground in an amazing song, truly wonderful. As is Anastasia. Then songs like Halo, Wicked Stone, Automatic Overdrive, The Dissident, Bent to Fly, Beneath the Savage Sun and Too Far Gone are all great tunes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Battleground in an amazing song, truly wonderful. As is Anastasia. Then songs like Halo, Wicked Stone, Automatic Overdrive, The Dissident, Bent to Fly, Beneath the Savage Sun and Too Far Gone are all great tunes.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I think Anastasia is massively overratee on this board. A great riff (one of Slash's best) but the song goes nowhere and I could do without the mindless noodling. And those lyrics :facepalm:

I think AL and WOF are two huge step downs from Slash 2010 album. Boring, bland and predictable songs for the most part. Although I like Wicked Stone, BTSS and Bad Rain.

50 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

There is no way Slash wanted to play This I Love. That song is terrible.

Pretty sure axl wrote this I love back in like 94. There is probably a demo from back then with slash on it. I always wanted to hear it and now we have the next best thing. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DocArunas said:

CD is a GNR album, Slash and Duff are in GNR, what's there not to understand about them playing the songs?

CD is an Axl Rose solo record with guest spots. has nothing to  do with Slash and Duff. they shouldn't be Axl's bitches in this respect.

play illusion tracks by GNR instead. or move to the city.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frey said:

I didn't say Axl never lies or is honest all the time. Just that he's got a bettet track record than Slash.

Plus the things you mentioned could also be examples of Axl believing his own shit and later changing his opinion/coming to his senses. Slash on the other hand has been caught straight-up and knowingly lying a couple of times (like the time he denied going to Axl's house, before finally admitting it some time later).

Yeah those are good points

Axl will announce they are playing Chinese Democracy in its entirety and the Encore is going to be Crash Diet and Sympathy for the Devil and I am sure Slash is going to submit if that is what it is going to take to get back in GNR

Well why not add some VR songs or Slash's solo songs? some of them are better than the stuff on CD. Now don't give me that bullshit that those songs are not under the GNR name.

VR had 3 GNR members and Axl's band had only ONE. 

Yeah they have Slither on ALT.

But songs like Ghost, Anastasia, Crucify the Dead are much better than Sorry and Chinese Democracy

• Like 3

According to Axl, Slash learnt them on his own and we have no reasons not to believe him, maybe it was a gesture of goodwill, maybe he actually like the songs they're playing.

I think some of you are projecting their own dislike of CD on Slash when he never show any indication of hating the album.

Edited by giuls
  • Like 2