Absolutely shocking performance by Dj Ashba in Buenos Aires

Guest NGOG

i'm not gonna give him shit for trying to improvise - lord knows improvisation is something these shows could benefit from at times - but the tone of his guitar is so shrill and that solo was...

And :lol: @ axl's pissed-off/what-the-fuck reaction. The way he walks out on stage and just stares at him is priceless.

Oh my God. That... That was horrible. I can't even think of how someone would come to the defense of this. I like a couple of DJ's solos, sure, but after hearing that, I am now fully convinced that he needs to stay away from songs that are not his and just leave this band. Him no longer being a member of Guns N' Roses will improve the band exponentially, even more so when Axl finally admits that he was no more than a "hired hand". One has to wonder, if Slash was a "cancer," then what the hell is DJ?

On the brighter side, at least Duff is still here, and Axl and Bumblefoot's reactions were hilarious. The shrug was just the cherry on top, honestly. Completely lost it there, and I'm not ashamed to admit to that.

That solo is shitty. It's really, very shitty. It does not suit the music at all. It sounds like I do when I'm bored, take the guitar, abuse the drive and make shit, bored noise and pointless shit solos that do not fit anything and bother other people.

More shit soloing here (less shit, but hard turds are only slightly less unpleasant than diarrhea):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3PVjGa-cHw

Edit: Oh wait, there's more (4:27):

Edited by Pedrolg

I think Axl likes it because DJ has been doing that since the start of this tour otherwise Axl would have been pissed off and you know what's next.

Axl forgot to whistle at 5:19 and that's all I guess.

Edited by axlrod

Some of you may not have noticed, but if you go to 6:06 and look closely, Axl and Bumblefoot are literally LAUGHING at Dj's shambolic attempt at a Patience solo (and not in a humorous "Same old Dj" sort of a way - but in a "Can this guy actually play guitar" sort of way):

It's like he tried to improvise a solo in an attempt at validating himself in the eyes of Duff. Axl stands there dumbfounded for a good 10 seconds.

Well, they weren't "laughing" in tha clip and Axl just sat there and watched. No dumbfounding going on. Way to drama queen up your post :)

Edited by Chris 55
  • Like 1

i'm not gonna give him shit for trying to improvise - lord knows improvisation is something these shows could benefit from at times - but the tone of his guitar is so shrill and that solo was...

And :lol: @ axl's pissed-off/what-the-fuck reaction. The way he walks out on stage and just stares at him is priceless.

Yeah, at certain points during DJ's solos it sounds like he's playing a Moog synthesizer. It's any wonder if his guitar tech is deaf.

I generally don't give DJ a hard time because he seemed like a decent guy when I talked with him a few years ago. And I did enjoy The Ballad of Death. But it's getting tougher to defend this guy. I always disliked Robin, so anyone other than him was fine by me.

I do agree that the band really should scale down and operate with just two guitars and a bass. If DJ is such a great composer, let him be a studio guy. But I think enough is enough with the stage act.

He did it in Lubbock except Axl was looking over his shoulder when he did it. Axl actually congratulated him for playing into the feedback. I think he was being sarcastic bc he walked away laughing.

Point is this isn't new. Axl, I think is always shocked at how he messes this up.

Do you remember when Robin used to sound pretty awful? 2006 came along and he looked and sounded like another person; the guy was playing amazingly well. DJ has never reached round 2. The "I will make it look like I am Slash" doesn't help either.

You know it's bad when on a GNR forum, 99% of the posts, states that the main GNR guitar player sucks.

IMO it wasn't THAT bad. It was just sloppy, live rock music isn't supposed to be perfect.

You might also want to check out his performance of Better, November Rain, Paradise City... I don't insist though.