Absolutely shocking performance by Dj Ashba in Buenos Aires

Guest NGOG

"It's like, how much worse could DJ sound? And the answer is none...none more worse."

He would sound even worse in Doubly.

I think the problem was that the suck knob on his amp was turned to 11...

• Like 2

"It's like, how much worse could DJ sound? And the answer is none...none more worse."

Ashba: We're very lucky in the band in that we have two visionaries, Axl and Duff, they're like poets, like Shelley and Byron. They're two distinct types of visionaries, it's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water.

• Like 1

i'm not gonna give him shit for trying to improvise - lord knows improvisation is something these shows could benefit from at times - but the tone of his guitar is so shrill and that solo was...

And :lol: @ axl's pissed-off/what-the-fuck reaction. The way he walks out on stage and just stares at him is priceless.

Yeah, at certain points during DJ's solos it sounds like he's playing a Moog synthesizer. It's any wonder if his guitar tech is deaf.

I generally don't give DJ a hard time because he seemed like a decent guy when I talked with him a few years ago. And I did enjoy The Ballad of Death. But it's getting tougher to defend this guy. I always disliked Robin, so anyone other than him was fine by me.

I do agree that the band really should scale down and operate with just two guitars and a bass. If DJ is such a great composer, let him be a studio guy. But I think enough is enough with the stage act.

Pretty much this. The main part of the solo is worse than mediocre, and the attempt at improv is laughably bad. Would love to know what Axl was thinking about there.

One of those rare times when pretty much the entire board is in agreement about something.

Edited by axlsalinger

Ashba: We're very lucky in the band in that we have two visionaries, Axl and Duff, they're like poets, like Shelley and Byron. They're two distinct types of visionaries, it's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water.

When did he say that? :lol:

I've NEVER understood why GN'R feels like they had to bring DJ in to start with. It appears that Axl thought he'd be a great 'hype' guy for the crowd but he comes off more as a gooberhead.

But when it comes to technical ability to play these solos correctly he's the 3rd best guitarist on the stage but yet he gets most of the spotlight.

The whole Patience video is so bad it's hilarious. It does however capture in a nutshell the essence of DJ in all his cheesy glory.

To deliver that solo after bigging himself up during someone else's competent solo takes some front. He must have the hide of a rhino.

• Like 1

Guest Gunns

The whole Patience video is so bad it's hilarious. It does however capture in a nutshell the essence of DJ in all his cheesy glory.

To deliver that solo after bigging himself up during someone else's competent solo takes some front. He must have the hide of a rhino.

his clothing line is absolute shit, but when that is still better than the way he plays gnr songs, you know the band should look for another lead guitarist.

What Alfie says. His behaviour before Patience makes the abysmal solo even worse. He behaves like an annoying kid. If DJ really can't do the solo, after all this time, why doesn't BBF do it ? It can't be fun for DJ either, trying it all the time and not succeeding. I almost feel a bit sorry for him.

Yeah, at certain points during DJ's solos it sounds like he's playing a Moog synthesizer. It's any wonder if his guitar tech is deaf.

He doesn't use amps he uses digital gear (axe-fx ii)

As bad as that was .....two words

Robin Finck

NOONE in GNR was worse than that guy

I was actually really enjoying that performance but when that end solo started I instinctively knew it was DJ before the camera even panned to him. There was no way in a million years Ron or Fortus would ever play something so tasteless and out-of-place.

Way to ruin a good performance Darren Jay. Thankyou.

Edited by Towelie

Goodness, a lot of the clips in this thread and the main one, almost sound like he is out of tune or key. So very bad. His bends never land on the notes he is intending either, and normally decent guitarists can cover up their mistakes, fuck ups, whatever,.....he just keeps digging himself deeper into his hole.

• Like 1