Why I think new music is coming

I understand why people say that there's no real money to be made anymore in new music, but I reckon even big fans of the band are not going to keep on paying big bucks for the same show over and over. And covers, or even deep cuts aren't going to change that. Slash and Duff returning to the band, yeah, that sold out shows. But in a year's time, or a couple of years, that'll be old news (if it isn't already for a lot of people who aren't us). They're going to have to bring something new to the table if they want to keep going, and that's where new music comes in. It's that or lower ticket prices which, hey, I won't complain about, but if I had to choose I'd go for new material any day, and I am sure that I'm not the only one.

It's up to them, of course. As always. Even if we ignore the above, though... is it so strange to think that musicians might want to release music? It's kind of their thing. Even GN'R have done so on occasion. :lol:

14 hours ago, ludurigan said:

yeah thats exactly what i understood and thats why i am laughing hard!

the only thing they are up to now is checking the loot and congratulating themselves for pulling off this huge rock n roll swindle

you're probably right... damn it... fine I'll laugh with you buddy. :lol::lol::lol:

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

There is no money is recording new music. The shows are based around nostalgia and new music won't affect the general fee paying audience (especially now they're touring festivals). There's nothing to gain, rather than nothing to lose. And that's why I suspect we'll never see music from this lineup. Actually, they have a lot to lose by heading in to a studio - the amicable relationship on which the multi-million dollar tour is based. They fall out, split and poof, the megabucks disappear. 

That's exactly what I think.
People paying these crazy ticket fees because of the nostalgia. They would totally jeopardize this if they'd promote a new album.

Not to mention that this is also about money:
I mean, why would Slash or Duff contribute to music for a band they doesn't even have any rights of? I could imagine they'd save up the good stuff for other projects.

43 minutes ago, Rubicon said:

That's exactly what I think.
People paying these crazy ticket fees because of the nostalgia. They would totally jeopardize this if they'd promote a new album.

Not to mention that this is also about money:
I mean, why would Slash or Duff contribute to music for a band they doesn't even have any rights of? I could imagine they'd save up the good stuff for other projects.

Sooner or later, people will be bored of hearing the same stuff. Sure, they can and will continue to play arenas, but if they want to keep hitting the stadiums, they will need reinvigoration at one point or another.

A new album would make sense because it would sell and provide more material to tour. Duff and Slash would do it because they will get royalties in an album which will undeniably succeed.

• Like 1

I have no idea if there is new music coming any time soon, or at all for that matter.

I do think that if there will be new music, it will be a let down. The anticipation is way too big, the only music to compare it with is from three decades ago when they were young and at their peak as songwriters. It's probably impossible to recreate that, so it will most likely be a disappointment one way or another. Just saying.

Edited by EvanG

32 minutes ago, Carmenjello said:

Good thing you pointed it out for us. Now i wont have to buy the album :-)

I don't see them beating their first two records, and no one can live up to thirty years of expectations and nostalgia, which a lot of love for old GnR is based on, so a lot of people will be disappointed. Just my two cents... I would love to be wrong.

I think its possible that Axl found a pharmaceutical support that enabled him to be the new Axl we've seen on NITL.  I could be wrong.  But if so; that medicine might work for touring but how does it contribute or detract from a creative process?

They can tour indefinitely IMHO. Maybe not multiple nights in the same stadium, etc.- but single nights at stadiums as co-headliners and arenas, and “top of the bill” at massive festivals for sure. There will always be the draw on a summer’s evening of “hey- let’s go hear Axl and Slash play “Jungle”, “SCOM”, “PC”, “NR”, etc.”. And I think it will “re-generate” itself. Enough of those that take a pass one year- will be primed and ready the next. As far as branding/re-branding NITL- I think they can tour off a new GH/Best Of... album. Also UYI and the legendary UYI Tour will hit its 30th in a few years’ time (2021-2023) too.

It’s only one song- but to me “Atlas Shrugged” in some form (e.g. bonus to a new GH/Best Of... package?) may be our best bet for ever hearing something “new”. It would appear to be dangling out there in “no man’s land” as it was originally thought of as part of the Chinese project. Hopefully they’ll choose to at least take care of that loose end at some point.

If they drop an album anytime soon it will probably be out of the blue, I wouldnt announce it just drop it one day to avoid massive expectations, I think Axl learned that with CD.

However I would be happy with a new single and BLU ray from the tour.

11 minutes ago, soon said:

I think its possible that Axl found a pharmaceutical support that enabled him to be the new Axl we've seen on NITL.  I could be wrong.  But if so; that medicine might work for touring but how does it contribute or detract from a creative process?

TRT and cocaine would do it. Not sure if there's much left in his voice though. 

As for writing. Well, music is one thing. Riffs and hooks are timeless, doesn't matter how old you are if you've got the ability. Lyrics are harder. No one wants to hear Axl whining about lost love and the days of these guys being the most Dangerous Band in the World are long gone. It's a long way from being a POS on Sunset to living in a Malibu mansion. And that's before you consider Mr Stradlin is no where to be seen. 

1 hour ago, tremolo said:

It depends on what we expect.

I would hate it if they pull an AC/DC and release an album that is reminiscent of AFD or UYI.

As you say, they are not the same they were back then and they won’t be able to recreate that. I really hope they understand this and if they ever release any new music it will be something fresh that ventures into new territory.

True that, it would be rather sad if they picked up where they left off, seeing as it's almost three decades later. That's sorta what they are doing now touring wise.

But I was talking about the quality of the songs, even if they go into a different direction, like Axl tried to do with CD... I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt that they can top the song quality of AFD and UYI, especially without Izzy.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Walapino said:

If they drop an album anytime soon it will probably be out of the blue, I wouldnt announce it just drop it one day to avoid massive expectations, I think Axl learned that with CD.

I think this makes a lot of sense.

But then I also note how terribly that worked out for Avenged Sevenfold just recently.  Where as it worked in the pop music world, it didnt translate to a smaller rock audience.  And for sure Guns currently have a huge audience, but perhaps not following them on twitter to make the surprise album drop really go viral.  I think the affluent casual fans they have catered to might not hear about it right away and would then just wanna download a single?  

Hope Im wrong because Id love a surprise release and like I say, the reasons you lay out makes sense.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

I wonder how will most GNR hardcore fans react if Axl/DC happens without a GN’R album in the horizon

I for one will be pissed!!!!!!  Maybe we should start up an 'anger management 12 step program' thread? :lol:

How would you react?

23 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

I wonder how will most GNR hardcore fans react if Axl/DC happens without a GN’R album in the horizon

Truthfully I would be DONE and that would be the final straw. Being an old man and a long time fan since 87' I've been waiting a long time for a reunion with Axl and Slash. Now that it's happened and it was successful beyond expectation with all the members genuinely enjoying eachother and the music. They should keep the momentum going and head to the studio. If Axl goes with Angus to me that would be the final Big kick in the nutz after waiting all these years. 

Has anybody ever thought about that they may have started working on a new album even before the Troubadour gig?

Axl and Slash started talking again in early 2015 or something like that right?

Which gives us about a year until the Troubadour gig. And they may have continued working on it during breaks or even during the tour.

Find it unlikely myself but never thought about it until some minutes ago.

15 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

Has anybody ever thought about that they may have started working on a new album even before the Troubadour gig?

Axl and Slash started talking again in early 2015 or something like that right?

Which gives us about a year until the Troubadour gig. And they may have continued working on it during breaks or even during the tour.

Find it unlikely myself but never thought about it until some minutes ago.

Their former publicist Arlette Vereecke said everyone minus Axl was recording before the tour.  As did former A&R Tom Zutaut (he says Slash played a solo on Atlas Shrugged but cant find the link), and former manager said he 'thinks' they were likely doing some recording.  Couldn't find that either.  I think they were all just guessing, even though she speaks as though she knows for sure.

But heres Arlette at least:

http://www.gunsnrosesfans.com/post/139925448779/slash-reportedly-recording-new-guns-n-roses-material

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Their former publicist Arlette Vereecke said everyone minus Axl was recording before the tour.  As did former A&R Tom Zutaut (he says Slash played a solo on Atlas Shrugged but cant find the link), and former manager said he 'thinks' they were likely doing some recording.  Couldn't find that either.  I think they were all just guessing, even though she speaks as though she knows for sure.

But heres Arlette at least:

http://www.gunsnrosesfans.com/post/139925448779/slash-reportedly-recording-new-guns-n-roses-material

Yeah, it's hard to know what to make of what they say, especially Arlette because she hasn't been in contact with Axl for so many years, but then again, she's obviously still friendly with Slash so...?  It's certainly interesting to ponder..

1 minute ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yeah, it's hard to know what to make of what they say, especially Arlette because she hasn't been in contact with Axl for so many years, but then again, she's obviously still friendly with Slash so...?  It's certainly interesting to ponder..

Yeah, if she did know the band was in studio and since she admits she didnt know the specifics, my guess would be that they were doing tour pre-production.  That given all the programming/pads/sythns/drum loops/etc and given Carams really modernizing how Guns is mixed, I could see that they actually went in a recorded the live performance so they could listen back and get all on the same page.  Would be somewhat unorthodox, but its just a guess.  Would be easier to arrange new Better intro in a studio environment too, maybe? 

They must have talked very often about so much stuff before Troubadour.

Imagine you were in a band and you absolutely hated your former bandmate for 20 years. Would you say "Okay we've talked once so let's do a 2 year tour!"?

They must have either met up very often to reconcile and be friends again or start to work on something just to see if that partnership would even work out.

Even if they only met very often they must have talked about the possibility of a new album.

Everything could be possible, but still we know nothing.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

It's not hard to imagine that axl played his music for slash and duff, and asked them which songs they're interested in working on.  All they have to do is isolate Axl's vocal tracks and record new music to them, like they did during much of the illusions albums. Essentially, the music in the vault is scrapped (with the exception of Axl's vocals/lyrics/melodies), and new music is created featuring slash and duff. This is the most likely scenario, and if axl really has 3 albums worth of material, he never has to record vocals or write lyrics again (and likely wont) and there could still be another album or 2 from axl, slash, duff, and the rest of the band.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, EvanG said:

I don't see them beating their first two records, and no one can live up to thirty years of expectations and nostalgia, which a lot of love for old GnR is based on, so a lot of people will be disappointed. Just my two cents... I would love to be wrong.

I think what sort of music they would record will be different from before but still keeping that GNR formula. Slash said the NITL tour was completely new and different and wasn't an extension of the last time they toured together. Im thinking this will be the same way they approach new music.

Edited by Sydney Fan