Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

3 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

I'm not gonna bother anymore...

Even when scientific evidence would be presented, there's STILL people that'll go 'it's been re-recorded !  I can smell it !'

Do you have any evidence that it hasn't? At the very least Slash's guitar, bass, and drums are recent recordings.

I was looking through all the other demos and live performances of SOYL on Youtube and none of them have the same lyrics as the new version (just small subtle changes), which makes me think the vocals have been re-recorded. Also, the older versions are all in a higher pitch then the current version, which makes me think they adjusted it for Axl's current vocal range. 

I'm no expert though, that's just my observation, and they could have taken it off another demo that was never on Youtube for all I know. The song kicks ass regardless. 

The drums are different too. Whoever's playing it hits the crash cymbal twice in a row in the verses (after the snare fills) and on the downbeats. He hits it on beats one and two. On all of the old recordings with Steven he never does that, only one hit on each downbeat.

Production/re-mastering is top-notch.
Song itself - great, vintage GnR (but it's a matter of taste of course). What I really like is that we finally have a proper GnR release! It's GnR not because what it reads on the cover, it just is. It's 1992 again, nostalgia all over.

Singing in the background, I think that's Duff, emulating female backing vocals. Axl was young here, you can tell by playful falsetto, typical of young singers.

It's an okey-ish song. The chorus is catchy, but that's about it. There's a reason why it was a b-side back in the day. It still is b-side material. Nice that Guns released something "new", but it is also a bit sad that they are comfortable releasing a b-side as their first official single since the reunion. Their comeback material should be stronger than this, in my opinion.

But then again, that's just my opinion. Though, like I said, it's nice that they have released something. Keeps the wheels moving. And it is nice that people are digging this song.

• Like 2

It just feels weird to hear something new from GNR. Like, I'm listening to a newly released song, with a lyric video, and some media buzz. You know, just a thing that (almost) all bands do. 

Of course it's even weirder considering it's a song I first heard over 20 years ago. 

Always thought it was just an okay song, a good B-side, but damn, this recording does sound pristine. I like it.

I don't know about the vocals, sounds fairly 80s Axl to me. I'm sure they spruced it up. But if Clink recorded a full version of the song in consideration for Appetite, that was then cleaned up and remastered in 2018, I can see this being the result.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Also the guy listed as the engineer (Adam Chagnon)- according to his LinkedIn he's been doing audio recording only since about 2014 and he looks pretty young too. So there's definitely some new parts in there...

Thats a good piece of info you've highlighted. He could still be listed as an engineer for the studio work that he and Clink did to spruce up the new version without there having being new recording.  Or it could indeed be that he was part of some new recordings.  

• Like 1

Hmmmm...solo sounds like sober Slash playing, so guess it's newly recorded.

Better than anything else out there.

I think Axl's "wake up its time to play "intro from the original should have stayed.

If they were going to re-record anything, why wouldn't they re-record Steven and Izzy's parts to cut them out of the performance royalties (they'd still get writing royalties)?

If they left Izzy and Steven on there, I doubt they re-recorded anything.

Most likely just a remix and enhancement done with 2017 audio processing technology.

As for the song, it would have been OK as AFD filler in place of Anything Goes but it definitely wouldn't rank as among the best songs off of AFD for sure.  No way it get's a single release in the 1980's if it was on the album originally.

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Thats a good piece of info you've highlighted. He could still be listed as an engineer for the studio work that he and Clink did to spruce up the new version without there having being new recording.  Or it could indeed be that he was part of some new recordings.  

Possibly, but if it was just a spruced up recording then they wouldn't need him, just the mixer and producer. Usually if there's an engineer listed there was some tracking going on.

• Like 1

Are you people crazy? This sounds FUCKIN' AWESOME!! 10/10 I cannot be more happy with how it turned out. Another shot of pure Appetite-era. 

And those are definitely 1986 Axl vocals. As far as Slash goes, I hear a lot of additions - mostly due to the fact that they reminiscence certain playing techniques and licks he employed in his solo albums. Without a doubt..

---

Btw, is it me or Steven used double-bass pedal on that recording? (as Slash said prior to recording the Appetite, Steven used that and they made him get rid off it). 

It's so un-Steven-like drumming.

Anyone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Quite clearly? WTF you guys been smoking. Of course it's the same person, so it will sound similar even 30 years apart.

But what's clear is that vocal arrangements (choice of notes) and delivery (technique), point without a single doubt that it's definitely MATURE AXL. 

In the studio Axl has all the time to nail every single part to his liking. So of course he's not gonna sound as shitty and Mickey as live. But it's there, fellas. You can't hear it, well, shame on your ears. Just listen to the "I ain't standing.." at 1:38 or even more so, the "OH NO" at 1:50. 

After this, I'm done trying to make you see it. It's useless.

It's like you read the first part of my comment, and not the second part in which i said it sounds like it has been edited and touched up a bit...