Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

Just now, Nikki_Sixx said:

Should I have said 'waar hebt gij het over' then ? ;)

Yes, when I see a Belgian typing in Dutch on this forum, I prefer to read it with a Belgian accent in mind. (en het gebruik van Vlaamse woorden helpt me daarmee)

2 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

It's an okey-ish song. The chorus is catchy, but that's about it. There's a reason why it was a b-side back in the day. It still is b-side material. Nice that Guns released something "new", but it is also a bit sad that they are comfortable releasing a b-side as their first official single since the reunion. Their comeback material should be stronger than this, in my opinion.

But then again, that's just my opinion. Though, like I said, it's nice that they have released something. Keeps the wheels moving. And it is nice that people are digging this song.

Feel like I'm in minority here, but totally agree with you.  I'm not mad at them, or disappointed or anything like that.  I'm just indifferent to this release.  It doesn't move me at all.  Not feeling anything.  In fact, it's a bit boring, and when it ended I wasn't keen to go back and play it again.  There is something weird about GNR releasing a 'new song' that is in fact an old song that's inferior to every single song on AFD.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Same.. I always thought it should have been on the Live Like a Suicide side.. 

Assuming they stuck with the 8 song format, what would you swap it out with? I guess I'd probably say Reckless Life.

11 minutes ago, Gem Archer said:

it's and average song, and i can see why they left it out of AFD but mike clink did an amazing job with the production and capture the rawness of their sound backthen... 8/10 for me

I think that SOYL is better than songs like You're Crazy (fast version) and Anything Goes. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Feel like I'm in minority here, but totally agree with you.  I'm not mad at them, or disappointed or anything like that.  I'm just indifferent to this release.  It doesn't move me at all.  Not feeling anything.  In fact, it's a bit boring, and when it ended I wasn't keen to go back and play it again.  There is something weird about GNR releasing a 'new song' that is in fact an old song that's inferior to every single song on AFD.

Im more excited then you, but I can totally see where you are coming from.  It didnt make the cut before.  The riff is rather stagnant and Izzy plays a lick that is very reminiscent form his part in WTTJ intro.  But at least its got a sprinkle of that GNR comedic wtf-ness to it being that its a Paul (Andrew) Huge/Tobias co-write! lol

Its totally missing a Duff melodic run in the intro.  Its almost there, but could be more and it would be twice as banging with full Duff intro.

Im loving it though.  Hope it will catch on for you too!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Assuming they stuck with the 8 song format, what would you swap it out with? I guess I'd probably say Reckless Life.

I'd swap Mama kin or Move to the city with this. Or I'd swap anything goes or Appetites you're crazy for this.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Nothing about when you first discover guns n roses ever feels the same again, it changes you man. :) it’s a good thing. 

This is good, production sounds fantastic and I'm enjoying it more than I expected I would. I'd love to see it do well with the public, maybe push Axl in the right direction in terms of releasing stuff that is legitimately new. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

• Like 3

The Guitar solo and been rerecorded along with some AXL vox - I love this -I ve heard this  song several times but not any as good as this -Ripping shit -AXL kills it and Slash shreds the solo and has some killer riffs -10/10 -Cant wait to here the other unreleased  songs rewritten and reproduced -The unreleased ones -anyone have   a song list of the new songs -I hope AINT GOING DOWN AND CRASH DIET ARE REDONE 

Edited by TMAC20

2 minutes ago, TMAC20 said:

The Guitar solo and been rerecorded along with some AXL vox - I love this -I ve heard this  song several times but not any as good as this -Ripping shit -AXL kills it and Slash shreds the solo and has some killer riffs -10/10 -Cant wait to here the other unreleased  songs rewritten and reproduced -The unreleased ones -anyone have   a song list of the new songs -I hope AINT GOING DOWN AND CRASH DIET ARE REDONE 

I like how positive you always are. No matter how much they are trying to screw us, you always find a positive angle. Sometimes I wish I could be like that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Oh.  Well that settles it then.  TMAC20 says it's been re-recorded so I guess that's the end of that debate.

except it's not really a debate, it's just voicing an opinion. How could it be a debate without having access to a single fact? it's all speculation, from both sides. there is also no need to be butthurt over a simple opinion.  there are people asking for people to be banned over an opinion, people are being called naive and all sorts of names, I mean what the bloody fuck? I find that actually pretty hysterical.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

47 minutes ago, J Dog said:

No Way!!! I love Reckless life.. That is a tough one.. I love every song on there... But if I HAD to pick I would say Move To The City or Mama Kin? Or you could just be a nice guy and let me have all 9 songs!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

Is it me or Steven's using double-bass pedal on this recording? (as Slash said prior to recording the Appetite, Steven used that and they made him get rid off it). 

Sounds very possible. Cool to have a taste of if it is!

Also, do you figure thats Adler counting it in?  I dont much know his pre-stroke voice and dont recognize the voice.

Actually the drums have been really piquing my curiosity in a few ways.  Theres the question of whether this version has had its tempo digitally altered (quantized) and though I have no idea and find that highly unlikely even for Guns, there are a few things in the drums that could speak to that.  Through out the song Adler is modulating back and forth between straight triplet shuffle to a faux-triplet shuffle.  On its own that seems like a very Adler thing to do, especially so early on in his professional recording life.  But sometimes when a tempo is quantized things that fit in one tempo/metre no longer work in the changed meter. This is especially the case when a part isnt in perfect time. From what I understand the band didnt record to a click, at least not with Clink at the helm.  So when stuffs out of time then you get into quantizing some sort of compromise.  Or you quantize in sections.  Sometimes things that technically musically 'work' after this process still stand out to the human ear as unnatural.  This could contribute to the two types of shuffles. But mainly, to my ear, theres a hint of a poorly quantized note on the kick between 0:27-0:35 on the video version, namely one of the hits around 0:30.  

Not saying it is, but theres aspects to the drums that leave room for questions, imo.

• Like 1