Appetite for Distortion Ep. 74 - "Leaker's Revenge"

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The way I perceive Guns to be run is it is very impersonal and automated, and overtly connected to advertising merchandising. The fanclub is a classic example, whereby it is just a third party who run it. Guns would have to run it themselves to implement positive changes such as downloadable content.

oooooooooooooooor another option would be to have people who have a remote interest in the band run it.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Well until it stops and as long as people keep listening to my podcast, attention will continue to be brought to it. All they (person/people who are reading this who are stalking) have do to is apologize to those affected and become self-aware that it's sociopath behavior. I could recommend a good therapist. I've extended invites to all who want a voice, even the strikers. So GET IN THE RING.

Apologize? I remember a particular person apologizing more than once, at length, here and elsewhere. I wouldn't really put any stock into that :lol: But yeah, I get what you mean. I don't think they will change though. Maybe we get lucky and they get an unhealthy interest in something else instead.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

oooooooooooooooor another option would be to have people who have a remote interest in the band run it.

It is the fansite they deserve really as  Guns have basically operated like that since - well, probably since Alan Niven left I think haha. It is just the way Rose steers his ships. It isn't the way Slash or Duff operate as you only have to look at their fan relations and website content. Rose seems to want Guns N' Roses to be that way, like the Abominable Snowman, Loch Ness, Elvis Presley and the third gunman on the grassy knoll, all hidden away in Area 51. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I still can't believe how easily the videos are removed.

Ffs, the uploader is the guy who made that video and most likely co-owner of the copyright.

Most likely he’s not. I’m sure he relinquished all rights in a contract. 

Thing is this. It doesn’t matter who flags these videos. If the uploader can’t prove they had the right to upload to begin with, its moot and will stay removed until the actual rights holders step in and personally allows it. Copyright infringement is still infringement no matter who reports it in their rightful eye. We can say it sucks or it’s assbackwards and that it does a disservice to the band long term, etc...

They have a whistleblower policy in place to mitigate their liability. All we can demand is that the US Government needs to revise copyright law in the digital age once again. 

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The way I perceive Guns to be run is it is very impersonal and automated, and overtly connected to advertising merchandising. The fanclub is a classic example, whereby it is just a third party who run it. Guns would have to run it themselves to implement positive changes such as downloadable content.

Currently it seems the fan club exists to presell their VIP ticket packages at full price. If you strike out, you can then buy through a secondary Live Nation entity who will then kickback those profits to LN bottom line for the show and possibly the band depending upon the deal. 

The band has extraordinarily high guaranteed fees for a performance. To compensate for this , Live Nation uses the VIP packages and the secondary market as their safe haven in case shows undersell. They can then control the ticket release and “sell out” those tixs and force buyers to the secondary market and double dip. If the secondary market isn’t moving they will then release more tixs, and wait til the end to price lower if need be. The whole system revolves around the fact that superfans will buy up tickets at first opportunity. They leverage that relationship to maximize profit. 

Now, they could fix it in a few ways. Take less money so that the promoter doesn't have to rely on the secondary market. Force attendees to pick up their tickets using cards, and other anti scalping measures. Or they could just simply list what the price of a ticket is actually worth and take the PR hit. 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, WhazUp said:

It is interesting to hear the behind the scenes of how these things get out, I was glued to my laptop for the entirety of this House of Blues 2001 story

It is also proof at how easily a teeny bit of power or "inside info" can get to people's heads!  Of course I am not referring to anyone on this podcast, but more the people who actually do have unreleased/unleaked songs and videos and are demanding large sums of money for them.  

I wonder if there will come a point where waiting so long on this material will actually just do no good for the hoarders?  Slash and Duff are back in GNR, the unreleased hoarded material is outdated many times over now in terms of lineups and how long ago it was recorded.  I know personally since the reunion I have less interest in the CD era material as a whole - I can't imagine the price tag on this material has increased since the reunion.

I truly don't think there's much else out there right now anyway. I'm sure some record label people have stuff we haven't heard, but on a fan level? I'm guessing everything that's circulated among these hoarders is out there now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gnr5 said:

Soooo... who is alfred? I'm lost lol

the name changes lost me a little to, i think alfred could be a Begal maker that talks to horses.

Loz from miami got me. i thought he kept a low profile nowadays. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I have far too much (unwanted) free time, and would absolutely, 100 per cent run it for little or no payment, alongside a couple of other fans, aimed at fans. Live nation controlling it may seem sensible in the shorter term financially, but in the longer term, having people with some passion for the band offering what people want would see revenue rocket. I offered a few times on Nightrain itself (not a member anymore!) 

• Like 1