What is Axl up to these days?

3 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

By preparing for next leg you mean buying new shirts? 

Mostly relaxing, I would assume. That is important. Then there is naturally some planning of the tour where he has to provide input like strategy decisions, and if his voice needs any treatment I am sure he attends to that now in-between.

34 minutes ago, Towelie said:

touring almost the same exact setlist for the best part of 17 years now.

I agree with the rest of your post but will say that the 2009/2010 sets were vastly different than anything from 2001 to then. Changing the opener, playing 13 CD songs on one show(!), expanding the encores —compared to the 18 or so songs they played every night in 2002, huge difference. Later on, adding Civil War, Coma, Estranged, Yesterdays, DTJ, Shadow — all positives and some of those went requested for years.

Imagine Bucket and Finck on Estranged. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Yet some guys sit here and bitch about him having breakfast.

The way I see it, this forum's relationship with Axl is like an old marriage. Or something like that. What we actually do is just joking and there's not many people on here that think he's fat and are bothered by it :D We are, like Axl, 'comedy enthusiasts'. Of course we could be pissed about everything and to a point that would be understandable, but I'm quite glad humor is still a thing here.

As you said, there's people like Meat Loaf who despite their weight performed amazing shows and were/are some of the best singers we ever had. Axl is still running around on stage, delivering every night, as long as he does that I couldn't care less what he looks like :D 

I would say the negativity is really selfmade, it's just frustrating to follow Axl/ GNR. 

Maybe he was getting all amped up for AC/DC and just found out about Brian being back in the fold? I hope he is looking at his options now and starts putting a new GNR album together as the result. 

7 minutes ago, Juventino said:

Watching bootlegs onli...nope, he wouldn't do something so hideous!

Began listening to a 1970s Queen bootleg only for Del James to call him a wanker.

Nah, wouldn't happen would it? Del knows what side his bread is buttered. He just reserves the hyperbolic moral outrage for fans.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, adamsapple said:

No offense to anyone, but the amount of sarcasm here is really depressing. I'm not a fan of how TB handles things and all either, but that doesn't take away from my appreciation of the music and my respect for the art. Think for a second you were him and reading this - with hardcore fans like this I wouldn't be too inspired to release anything new either and rather stick to the casuals as well. As much as I admire the music, I wouldn't want to walk in his shoes for only a mile. And I applaude him that he keeps going after all he's been through on the creative side and whatever else we might have no clue about. Maybe it's just a stupid naive feeling but something tells me it's about time to show some love again and be bigger than the shit one could often rightfully complain about. We can hate and bash all we want, but what would that charge the overall energy with? Nothing. At the end of the day I think we must be louder than TB, in like supportive, faithful, loyal and also direct, honest and clear. And perhaps a little more respectful? Again, no offense, just some thoughts crossing my mind tonight.

Poor Axl, right? No way man. You get what you deserve. This bands treats their fanbase like shit. There's no excuse anymore. Their entire MO is beyond laughable. GN'R and Axl in particular are going against everything they stood for back in the day. He's just a caricature nowadays. Sad times.

And yet I still bought the AFD reissue because I love this fucking band. :( Or better yet, I love what it used to be.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Then there are of course things we should praise him for. Because, after all, we want to be fair, won't we? And first and foremost is the fact that he is still active when he could have thrown in the towel at, well, just about any year in his career. But no, he is still touring almost every year to crowds all over the world. That's fantastic. And he plays loooong shows. And he recently got Slash and Duff into the band, which many fans for many years wanted more than anything. And the setlists are great (in my opinion, at least). And he finally honored Appetite for Destruction with a great re-release which included old demos and also some unheard stuff.

You actually think touring the world and bringing Slash and Duff in was done for the fans? For the love of rock 'n' roll or this band? He can't throw in the towel if he wants to maintain a certain lifestyle. There are too many people depending on him but his decisions have ZERO to do with his fanbase. It's a job and he's treating it as a job. There's no rock 'n' roll, no drive, no soul. Just $$$$$. 

I agree about the setlists though. They changed it quite a bit, brought more classics in... he deserves credit there for sure.

Edited by Sisyphus

3 hours ago, adamsapple said:

As for getting what they deserve, well that goes both ways, but its between going round in that circle or break it with something better and more positive without sugar coating what needs to be criticised. I don't understand the obsession about what a singer eats. He's a musician. I'd be more intrested in what books he reads, what movies he's into and what other music he listens to. I get it, the weight and all. But it doesn't affect singing at all. Look at Jim Morrison, Luciano Pavarotti, Christina Aguilera or Meat Loaf for example. It's not like these couldn't sing because of a few pounds more. Slash isn't exactly ripped either while approaching 60 and no one pokes fun at him for that. Some of the greatest singers and songwriters of Axl's generation passed away much too young. Yet some guys sit here and bitch about him having breakfast. Sorry, maybe I'm too old for that shit but I just don't get it. Have a look at the interviews he did with Duff and AC/DC in the more recent past and compare that to the China exchange interview. There's an elephant in the room and it's not his diet. I'm just saying citicism where it is due, but the overall energy should be a lot more about gratitude for having him around and supporting him the best we can.

What's the elephant in the room in your opinion? I like very much the China Exchange interview.

1 minute ago, Sisyphus said:

Poor Axl, right? No way man. You get what you deserve. This bands treats their fanbase like shit. There's no excuse anymore. Their entire MO is beyond laughable. GN'R and Axl in particular are going against everything the stood for back in the day. He's just a caricature nowadays. Sad times.

What's the point of going round in that same circle over and over expecting different results? I say bring back some balance in the way we communicate and show them a better and more respectful way leading by example. This whole grudge thing is a waste of valuable time and energy.

13 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

You actually think touring the world and bringing Slash and Duff in was done for the fans? For the love of rock 'n' roll or this band? He can't throw in the towel if he wants to maintain a certain lifestyle. There are too many people depending on him but his decisions have ZERO to do with his fanbase. It's a job and he's treating it as a job. There's no rock 'n' roll, no drive, no soul. Just $$$$$. 

I agree about the setlists though. They changed it quite a bit, brought more classics in... he deserves credit there for sure.

No, I don't think he brought Slash and Duff back into the band for any of the reasons you mention, and neither did I say so.

He can certainly throw in the towel and keep a fairly well-off lifestyle living off royalties alone. 

I don't think Axl and Guns N' Roses do the touring they do for any other reasons than any other band that tours: they do it for money and because they like it, and probably also because it bring joys to people. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

What's the point of going round in that same circle over and over expecting different results? I say bring back some balance in the way we communicate and show them a better and more respectful way leading by example. This whole grudge thing is a waste of valuable time and energy.

I don't really expect anything man. I've been a avid Axl defender for years, I posted a lot more on other forums. I just don't care anymore. I love this band, I always will but I will not shy away from criticism. Their MO is plain wrong in my book and I'm going to say it. And Axl is disrespecting who he was and what he was about. Either he was being dishonest or he's just a fraud. It just makes me sad. I owe nothing to this band and they owe nothing to me. I honestly believe they get what they deserve.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

What's the elephant in the room in your opinion? I like very much the China Exchange interview.

The elephant is more visible in the interview he did with Duff and just becomes more obvious in direct comparism to the china exchange interview.

26 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No, I don't think he brought Slash and Duff back into the band for any of the reasons you mention, and neither did I say so.

He can certainly throw in the towel and keep a fairly well-off lifestyle living off royalties alone. 

I don't think Axl and Guns N' Roses do the touring they do for any other reasons than any other band that tours: they do it for money and because they like it, and probably also because it bring joys to people. 

Nor did I say so... my ass. Stop with this self-righteous voice of reason charade already, you've been doing it for over a decade. You ought to be bored of yourself by now. You don't know how much Axl makes on royalties. You're just a fanboy, just like me, so drop the pretense.

You brought up Slash and Duff as an example where we should give praise to Axl. You followed that with a statement that Slash and Duff being back in the band was something fans wanted for years implying Axl granted their wish. He did not. 

Edited by Sisyphus
  • GNFNR 1