Do you think you ever out grow GNR?

I outgrew them and got back into them. Once I saw Nirvana on the Jonathan Ross show it was over. The attitude, the voice, raw as fuck.  

I didn't listen to GNR very much for maybe 15 years. But I listened to them minus the bullshit around them, and they are a classic band.

They're up there with The Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, The Doors etc etc. They released great albums including the spaghetti incident... Iconic songs, great deep cuts, great live band..... Great singer, great guitar player, great songwriters, great rhythm section.. 

Some of the production and material is dated but the body of work stands up. Izzy's tunes have really stood the test of time. I'll listen to them when I'm 85. Why the fuck not! 

I intend to grow old disgracefully. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think having such a small discography makes it difficult for me. With other acts you can mix your listening experience up.

Yeah, even The Beatles had a bigger discography than GN'R.

The Beatles: 13 albums in ten years

GN'R: Six albums in 33 years

29 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Yeah, even The Beatles had a bigger discography than GN'R.

The Beatles: 13 albums in ten years

GN'R: Six albums in 33 years

First, let me get this out of the way: We ALL wish GN'R had never split and had released a lot more material over the years.

That said, the fact that they don't have all that much catalog when compared to other artists yet still achieved the elite status and long time following that they did demonstrates just how awesome the limited work really was.

There's lot of artists out there that I like that released a lot of shit. I mean, multiple albums of nothing or at best 1 or 2 decent songs on them. In one respect, I'm glad GN'R never did that.

• Like 1

I'm the reverse. I rather don't mind the odd indifferent or even bad release among a large oeuvre, the odd dodgy Stones or Neil Young album, the odd Metallica stinker. You just follow the albums and judge each and every album on its respective merits; it never gets boring and is better than creative nothingness. 

• Like 2

I started listening to Guns at 4 or 5 years old as my Dad had the UYI albums and we kind of bonded together over that. I had never even heard AFD.

My Dad was probably irresponsible for letting me listen to Get in the Ring. haha

Then I stopped listening for a few years while I discovered my own stuff. (Some embarrassing stuff in that list that I won't mention)

Then when I was about 14, I had some money and wanted to buy a CD.  I saw AFD and wanted to buy it as I had never heard it before.  My life was changed from that point on.  Those songs helped me through a lot of tough times that a young adult goes through.

Years later, I ended up at VR, SMKC and eventually Guns concerts with my wife / brother / friends and made all kinds of great memories.

So for me, I will listen to Guns until the day I die as the songs mean more to me than just music.  They are a big part of my life and I have an attachment to those songs.  I imagine most people on this board will be the same.

• Like 3

I dont wanna open up the whole 'Was UYI two double albums' debate, but as far as a shortage of material goes it can be misleading to speak in terms of GNR albums compared to other artist. Because Neil Youngs Harvest runs 37:11, The Beatles Please Please Me runs 32:45 and even Pink Floyds Wish You Were here only runs 44:28. Whereas UYI 1 runs 75:56 and UYI 2 runs 75:52. They are 'double' the length of many heralded albums.

Between leaks and box set, we kinda have an albums worth of 'new' stuff right now. Plus, hopefully CD 2 comes out in time for my 65th! And we wont need to rock out if its too much, we can listen to Wichita Line, Patience and You Aint The First.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, soon said:

I dont wanna open up the whole 'Was UYI two double albums' debate, but as far as a shortage of material goes it can be misleading to speak in terms of GNR albums compared to other artist. Because Neil Youngs Harvest runs 37:11, The Beatles Please Please Me runs 32:45 and even Pink Floyds Wish You Were here only runs 44:28. Whereas UYI 1 runs 75:56 and UYI 2 runs 75:52. They are 'double' the length of many heralded albums.

Between leaks and box set, we kinda have an albums worth of 'new' stuff right now. Plus, hopefully CD 2 comes out in time for my 65th! And we wont need to rock out if its too much, we can listen to Wichita Line, Patience and You Aint The First.

But Neil Young has released 37 studio albums, and that is not including CSNY and the Springfield!

I already outgrew them a long time ago. I rarely listen to any of their songs anymore just because I listend to them so often. I still think it’s great rock n roll music and AFD will forever be one of the very finest debut rock albums of all times. When I listen to one of those songs (and it has to be rarely because I easily get bored) I can still feel the awe of that sound, that energy that amazing talent.

I enjoy lots of musical styles and artists. As soon as there’ll be new music I’ll be interested to listen again, provided it is any good.

I do enjoy Izzy’s music. Just discovered it 2 years ago or so because of this forum and because of the reunion, believe it or not. There’s a lot to listen to off those 11 albums.

• Like 2

probably not, but thanks to their inactivity I discovered TONS of other music which I consider equally favourite as GNR for me nowadays. so... GNR of course have a special place in my mind, but they're far from being the only one or "most favourite" :)

3 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

For the fans who still have an investment in GNR do you think that you ever stop listening to GNR? Like will you be 65 blasting GNR?

I will be blasting them at 65 for sure (unless I died before 65.)  I've been a fan since 1987, the reason I didn't get a tattoo was because I was sure I would grow out of them, but it hasn't happened yet, and I'm fairly confident it never will.

Edited by DeadSlash
  • Like 1

I was almost killed off by the Gashba era... I'd never been less impressed, less interested or less inspired.  I'd have rather severed my genitals with a rusty spoon and ate them then consider enduring Ashba on a studio album.  I was ready to walk away from it all...  Thankfully that talentless emo fuck left and this happened...  Which is far from ideal, I have no desire to see them live again to be honest and i'm in it for new music or CD era music whether that be in release form or leak form.  The biggest regret for me is that we haven't gotten all of that Fincky Bucket goodness from the early 00's.  The other massive regret was that Axl didn't release the album in 2006 when the fire was there...  Now he's a sad shadow of his former self, going through the motions but hey at least Pitman and Gashba have gone.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

But Neil Young has released 37 studio albums, and that is not including CSNY and the Springfield!

Young would be good in old age for sure though because some of his dodgy tracks sound like the onomatopoeia of dementia 

9 minutes ago, T-Minus said:

I was almost killed off by the Gashba era... I'd never been less impressed, less interested or less inspired.  I'd have rather severed my genitals with a rusty spoon and ate them then consider enduring Ashba on a studio album.  I was ready to walk away from it all...  Thankfully that talentless emo fuck left and this happened...  Which is far from ideal, I have no desire to see them live again to be honest and i'm in it for new music or CD era music whether that be in release form or leak form.  The biggest regret for me is that we haven't gotten all of that Fincky Bucket goodness from the early 00's.  The other massive regret was that Axl didn't release the album in 2006 when the fire was there...  Now he's a sad shadow of his former self, going through the motions but hey at least Pitman and Gashba have gone.

Axl was never going to record with Ashba.

There are some songs I'm pretty sure I'll like and listen to until then. I've already found myself listening to their music less often than last year, but there are always days where I listen to them the whole day long. Instead I have the feeling my most listened songs-playlist on Spotify will be full of Izzy's solo songs.

over the years i learned that i had to limit my "listening experience" in order to be able to enjoy Guns n Roses

meaning 1) i dont listen to GNR 24/7 like i used to do, 2) i dont listen much to anything after Izzy left

i also try to expand the listening possibilities meaning i am always looking for "new" GNR and pre-GNR recordings up to 1991 (hollywood rose comes to mind, ritz 1987 etc)

i am also always looking for new stuff post-1991 by the five guys, even though over the years i have had a somewhat "hard time" learning that except for the izzy albums, neurotic outsiders, snakepit 1, a few VR tracks and a very, very few specific Axl performances (come together 1994 comes to mind) there is very little to be enjoyed

• Like 2