Do you think you ever out grow GNR?

I did in a way. I kind of outgrew Appetite and identified more with UYI and Chinese. Don't get me wrong, AFD is one of the greatest records I've ever heard, but most of the songs appealed to my 16 year old self. UYI and CD appeal to me more these days because I can relate to a lot of the shit Axl is singing about.

I don't think one outgrows music that they love. What I think does change listening habits and actions. Between 88-92, I only listened to GnR everytime I was in the car. At bars, I would shout out a GnR song but the only cover played in Lubbock of GnR was Paradise City and it was hardly recognizable. I would have followed the band around to shows had I not been in school. Today my actions have grown up but my love for GnR remains and will remain until the day I die. 

I feel the outgrowing part a little, but only with the early stuff and only regarding the lyrics. Anything goes for example. :D
Apart from that, GnR music still sounds great to me and it will probably stay that way. What I definately don't feel anymore is Metal, apart from the classic stuff of my youth (Slayer, Pantera, Maiden, Metallica, etc.) it leaves me surprisingly cold now.

Naa, I reckon I'll still be listening to them further down the road. If I listen to Guns, it's mostly live bootlegs or Chinese. Before the release of the Appetite remaster, I hadn't listened to that album in over 10 years. The Illusion records I'll spin now and again. The acoustic set of Lies is some of the best work Guns released. There's a lot of timeless material in that unfortunately small back catalogue.

Nope, never as a whole, i feel like i out grew appetite and lies into chinese and some uyi tracks, (dead horse, locomotive, estranged, 14 years), because i can relate to them, somehow, but I still love and listen to Appetite. And i'm almost 20 and started listening only an year and a half ago. I will listen to GNR until i will die.

I don't know. For the last year or so, I've felt conflicted about the band. I think it's one of those cases where ignorance is bliss...

I got into GN'R in 1987, when I was still a young 'un. English was my second language, and my knowledge of it was very limited at the time, so I didn't realise the meaning of certain songs. Even by the time I first saw them in concert, in '93, I had no clue Brownstone's about drugs, Nightrain about alcohol etc. :lol:

I was your typical fan - I loved the music, bought the albums, attended some concerts, had the posters on my wall. I've never been one to read up on celeb news. Until I joined this forum I didn't have a clue about TB or, indeed, about the band members' pasts. I didn't know about the violence and the drugs and the load of other bad stuff going on. It's especially the Women's Thread that enlightened me - those ladies are really knowledgeable. I didn't know the extent with which the management treats fans with contempt. I joined the Nightrain site after learning about it on here and had a really bad experience there. And whilst I can brush off the alcohol and drug use in the band's past, as that's hardly unusual in the music world, the abuse and the sexism don't sit welll with me.

And I can't even say that that's long ago, because there are Axl's t-shirts, like the one with the lady in the trash can, and the rapist robot still seems popular with them, and there's the new artwork in that $1000 box set. I don't expect artists to be paragons of virtue, but increasingly I find the band to be distinctly unlikeable. Hence the conflict - I still love a lot of their music, and that music feels like a part of me, but there's a big value clash there and I don't know why I should chuck money in the direction of people who don't seem to give a shit about their fanbase.

How do you separate the art from the artist? Where do you draw the line? I don't know. A part of me wants to just give up on the band, but here I am.

• Like 1

In terms of sentimental value, Guns N‘ Roses was one of my dads favorite bands when he was alive; they grew into my favorite band. The energy of Appetite, The Spaghetti Incident, and some UYI songs like You Could Be Mine. 

But as I age, and expand my musical tastes, it’s the deeper cuts or singles that were popular years ago like Civil War, Rocket Queen, Yesterdays, Coma, Locomotive, Dust N’ Bones, Estranged, and even songs like If the World, This I Love, etc. that tune in to my experiences in life. You feel for Axl and the sorrow in Slash’s guitar in Estranged or the moving on in Yesterdays. 

Will I blast Appetite every day now or when I get older? No, but I think with all good music you need a break. I seldom listen to Nevermind by Nirvana, the Black Album by Metallica, Back in Black by AC/DC or anything really popular because it gets over-played to death. It’s the same thing with GN’R. I’ll pull those albums out when I feel the want to, and enjoy them. But, the energy and depth of the music will always have me coming back to GN’R over everything else over time.

I was pretty hardcore from sometime in 88 till 93. I stopped listening to GNR from 94 till probably 99 that i discovered oh my god on the End of Days soundtrack. I got interested in GNR again pretty hardcore before the RIR 2001 onwards.. lose interest sometime in 2012... back again on fire with Slash and Duff back :)

• Like 1

I did around 1995 when I dove into Faith No More King For A Day album.  I was so bummed nothing was happening with GNR as a 13 year old kid during that year that Faith No More became my new favorite band.  They kind of have remained that way next to a band called Virgos Merlot.  I always kept tabs on GNR though.  Illusions made me want to play guitar and write music and inspired me to do so.  Still my top 2 favorite albums.

i found gnr back around '87 and it was my first real band (i was 10 years old... so first band of my own, meaning not music that my parents listened to). i remember getting to buy AFD... we went to the store and my mom saw the parental advisory sticker and i wasn't allowed to buy it that day. she made my borrow my friends copy so my dad could listen to it (i doubt he ever really did). he just said there was some bad language. i got to buy my copy the following week at the next trip to the store.

now i've grown up with a very eclectic taste for music. although i'm getting old, so i'm not much of a fan of this crap kids listen to today  ;) but i've still found great music that is new to me (most recent might be blackberry smoke, gary clark jr...). i honestly have favorites in most genres of music.... oldies, rap, country, blues, rock...  i'm a classic blues rock fan at heart though.

that said - gnr will always be my all-time favorite and i can't image a day that i will ever get tired of hearing a classic guns song. i'm a music fan and i hope when it's my time to go i hear some gnr playing in the background.