Jump to content
KeyserSoze

Quick question for those who have seen Steven Adler live recently

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, im seeing Steven Adler tonight and was wondering if he hangs out amongst the regular members of the crowd (non VIP) after or before the show? 

I'm bringing my Hatch print from the 2016 Nashville shows to potentially get him to sign it... I have no VIP access or anything, so I'm hoping he comes off stage and chills with the crowd after the show. 

Any help or knowledge will be greatly appreciated... Mods, feel free to move to this a more appropriate thread (hopefully after 8pm central time) 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't seen them this tour but in my experience he is usually pretty accessible and happy to do anything for his fans.. Good luck and enjoy the show!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lucky guy. only member of the AFD5 i have not seen live yet. i had 2 tickets for 2 shows a few years ago but tour got cancelled when he fell off the wagon. 

if you meet him tell him to get to the UK :)  oh and enjoy the show. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

You will meet him after the show. At the show I saw last year he hung out after and made sure he signed and took pics with everyone who wanted one. It was chaotic, but he did it

The dude lives for playing the music, in a way he's the coolest AfD member because of it

Not to be negative, but is the only AFD member who hasn’t made a single contribution to music. The guy was fucking lucky he was in GNR. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Not to be negative, but is the only AFD member who hasn’t made a single contribution to music. The guy was fucking lucky he was in GNR. 

nah mate. he can put out good stuff on his own.

track 6 "just don't ask" has Slash on it. 

great album ! 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Not to be negative, but is the only AFD member who hasn’t made a single contribution to music. The guy was fucking lucky he was in GNR. 

Huh?  Besides bringing the swing to AFD and Lies?  AFD is a party because of him. And the best-selling debut album of all-time.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Sandman_ said:

Huh?  Besides bringing the swing to AFD and Lies?  AFD is a party because of him. And the best-selling debut album of all-time.

I love his contributions to the band, but drugs or no drugs I don’t think he would have stayed in the band long term because he is just fucking goofy, and doesn’t appear to be intelligent. Izzy , who everybody here thinks is some kind of messiah, said Stevens leads a confused life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, donny said:

nah mate. he can put out good stuff on his own.

track 6 "just don't ask" has Slash on it. 

great album ! 

 

Love that album. Listened to it nonstop when it came out.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RONIN said:

^^ Agreed, I didn't care for the guy much either for the longest time until I saw some of the live shows from the AFD era. Undeniable what he brings to the table in energy and a certain x-factor (like Izzy) - none of the replacements came close aside from perhaps Brain. 

There's a podcast posted on this forum recently where Brain talks about how cool Steven's drumming is and how much more interesting it was for him to play compared to the technically more gifted Matt Sorum (whom he found pretty generic). It's a fascinating discussion and really speaks volumes on how underrated Steven is not only within GnR but with the fanbase.

I’m not surprised Brain picked up on that! I think Brain is the second best GnR drummer in the world. 

 

3 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

I used to be in the “Steven’s not all that” camp- but having seen him at Dodger Stadium 3 years ago- there is an irrefutable energy, and uniqueness to what he does that is quintessential Guns. That doesn’t mean Guns hasn’t had “better” drummers on the stool (it has)- just that there is a certain something to Steven that absolutely can’t be dismissed IMHO. Kind of guy where you could go to 100 concerts and still not see/hear anything like what he brings...

 

I was going to make this point in my original post but was too lazy to type it... but yes, you could see the difference on the NITL shows he played at. Those songs instantly felt “right” when he played them. 

Never underestimate a drummers affect on a band.  

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

I used to be in the “Steven’s not all that” camp- but having seen him at Dodger Stadium 3 years ago- there is an irrefutable energy, and uniqueness to what he does that is quintessential Guns. That doesn’t mean Guns hasn’t had “better” drummers on the stool (it has)- just that there is a certain something to Steven that absolutely can’t be dismissed IMHO. Kind of guy where you could go to 100 concerts and still not see/hear anything like what he brings...

 

Dude I totally agree!  I was at that show too and the change in energy in drumming when Steven came onstage was incredible, like I felt like during those two songs, closing my eyes for a brief second taking it all in, it felt like listening to the Felt Forum '88 bootleg I jam out to all the time but in person lol

I like Frank, and I thought he did a solid job live too seeing them in person.  But when Steven played those two songs, it just "felt" like Appetite For Destruction, and that was all simply a change in drumming while keeping everything else the same which was crazy!  But very telling as to how Steven has a special way of grooving behind the kit

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Dude I totally agree!  I was at that show too and the change in energy in drumming when Steven came onstage was incredible, like I felt like during those two songs, closing my eyes for a brief second taking it all in, it felt like listening to the Felt Forum '88 bootleg I jam out to all the time but in person lol

I like Frank, and I thought he did a solid job live too seeing them in person.  But when Steven played those two songs, it just "felt" like Appetite For Destruction, and that was all simply a change in drumming while keeping everything else the same which was crazy!  But very telling as to how Steven has a special way of grooving behind the kit

Yep. Though I guess they played a few stadium shows in the Appetite-era (Stones, etc.)- I just tended to not think of Steven as a “stadium”-level player. I’m sure some of the band’s quotes from the early 90s about Matt taking them from a “garage band” to a stadium act colored my perception as well. So imagine my surprise to see him step out onto the Dodger Stadium stage, and absolutely own the house for a couple songs. It was awesome.

I’m in the camp that understands/gives a pass on Guns not wanting to hitch themselves to Steven day-in-day-out over the long haul. Too much $$$ at stake. So I “get” Frank being there, and as a Chinese-era supporter am happy for Frank that he’s still involved. That said- there’s no denying that Steven is an electric performer- capable of giving a massive crowd a kick in the pants though. Was very cool that he got out there- and I hope somehow it can happen again...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope that this recent Adler shows is his message to the gnr team that he is ready for comeback. I wouldnt be suprised if we saw him in full lineup for Vegas shows. 

And personaly think Adler bring great sound into AFD. His flow is more natural. He is drumming from his heart and you can feel iz. Matt was much more generic as Frank is.  

Ps

And Izzy will be there in Vegas mark my words. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Popcorn crew said:

I just hope that this recent Adler shows is his message to the gnr team that he is ready for comeback. I wouldnt be suprised if we saw him in full lineup for Vegas shows. 

And personaly think Adler bring great sound into AFD. His flow is more natural. He is drumming from his heart and you can feel iz. Matt was much more generic as Frank is.  

Ps

And Izzy will be there in Vegas mark my words. 

I seriously doubt Izzy and Steven are ever coming back, at this point. Would love to be proven wrong, tho.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RONIN said:

There's a podcast posted on this forum recently where Brain talks about how cool Steven's drumming is and how much more interesting it was for him to play compared to the technically more gifted Matt Sorum (whom he found pretty generic). 

He didn't say that. Actually he said Matt is a great drummer. It's true he finds Steven's style more original and more impressive, which is cool.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very excited to see him in August. Gonna be the first GN'R member (other than Buckethead) that I've been really up close to. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Popcorn crew said:

I just hope that this recent Adler shows is his message to the gnr team that he is ready for comeback. I wouldnt be suprised if we saw him in full lineup for Vegas shows. 

And personaly think Adler bring great sound into AFD. His flow is more natural. He is drumming from his heart and you can feel iz. Matt was much more generic as Frank is.  

Ps

And Izzy will be there in Vegas mark my words. 

Either you are on planet smoke (I’m Sure I’ll see you around) or you have killer insider info. 😂 

Your words shall be marked my friend, oh yes they shall be marked. 😂

  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Axl destroyed the band, but Steven got fired. I'll never understand it.

Axl is the singer, Steven is the drummer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Axl is the singer, Steven is the drummer.

I understand. Axl was a hypocrite firing someone when he was the biggest ass out of all of them. Even now days he is the worst part of the act in a live setting. From what we have heard Steven may have been a part of the reunion if he had not hurt his back. Then the hypocrite broke his foot in the first show. None of this means nothing to me, I'm just looking in from the outside. 

Edited by gnfnrs1972
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×