Live Era is the only GNR album I haven't been bothered to buy. WTF were the thinking not including Civil War from Paris '92???!!!

I'm pretty sure all of Axl's singing vocals on Estranged are rerecorded when compared to the Tokyo '92 video.

Only track I quite like is Don't Cry as this seems like the least fucked-with song.

Yo what’s with all the negativity? It was 1999. If Axl farted in a jar and put it up for sale, people would still be glad, in those wasteland wilderness times. I loved Oh My God, and I loved Live Era. Sure, stuff was done in a studio, but it was still real work done by our beloved musicians, not some fake synthetized multilayer shit. I do agree that some track choices as well as modifications could have been rethought, but it’s definitely still an awesome album. That’s my take. 

• Like 3

I hate, hate, hate Live Era.

* The album cover shows all the posters from the club days with Adler, but the overwhelming majority of the tracklist is from the Illusion tour with Sorum on drums.

* Bad track selection. Where was "Civil War"? Where was "Live and Let Die"? Where was "Double Talkin' Jive"?

* Axl's studio recorded vocals are weak compared to the actual raspy live performances. I like rasp.

* Timing of the release. Why release in 1999 when no one cared anymore? Would have made more sense to come out in 1994.

On 23/07/2019 at 11:53 AM, youngswedishvinyl said:

The recording of Brownstone on Live Era is taken from the show at Wembley Stadium, London, UK on 1991.08.31 (Apart from the vocals, but that goes without saying). The part where Axl is telling the crowd to back up is not from that gig or any other show we have any recordings of, that includes both soundboard and audience recordings.

To my ears it sounds like it was recorded in a room with a lot of natural reverb so we can probably rule out that the rant is re-recorded. But a recording from an indoor arena would most certainly make Axl's voice have that sound and a lot songs of Live Era are recorded at a show at Thomas & Mack Center, Las Vegas, NV on 1992.01.25 and that is a show that we have barely any non-Live Era recordings of (apart from Yesterdays and November Rain). Thomas & Mack Center is an indoor arena with a capacity of 15.000, a room like that would certainly give Axl's voice that reverb.

In other words, my educated guess is that the part on Live Era where Axl is asking the crowd to take a step back is from the 1992.01.25 show at Thomas & Mack Center, Las Vegas, NV.

Would be inclined to agree about " taking a step back" would be indoor as Axl asks for "a little bit of house light to make sure this happens" Donnington was outside and during daylight so there would be no house lights. I was at Wembley 91 and the vocals on the album for Brownstone are not what I heard that night. 

Edited by waxl1974
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jamillos said:

Yo what’s with all the negativity? It was 1999. If Axl farted in a jar and put it up for sale, people would still be glad, in those wasteland wilderness times. I loved Oh My God, and I loved Live Era. Sure, stuff was done in a studio, but it was still real work done by our beloved musicians, not some fake synthetized multilayer shit. I do agree that some track choices as well as modifications could have been rethought, but it’s definitely still an awesome album. That’s my take. 

Yeah, back then that was all we could get. But we all knew the band deserved better. I never liked the sound, the mix and how they left songs like Civil War and DTJ. I actually like Axl's rerecording, but I hate how they managed to butcher Rocket Queen with no 2nd guitar. Even back then.

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Yeah, back then that was all we could get. But we all knew the band deserved better. I never liked the sound, the mix and how they left songs like Civil War and DTJ. I actually like Axl's rerecording, but I hate how they managed to butcher Rocket Queen with no 2nd guitar. Even back then.

I agree they particularly shouldn't have skipped Civil War (especially some 1992 version), and the missing guitar in RQ was also lame. 

Edited by jamillos

On 7/21/2019 at 5:36 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

Hey guys, a couple questions, 

Does anyone know why the uncensored version of Live Era is no longer on YouTube, Spotify, etc.? It's only the censored version. Not a huge deal, just curious. 

Also, while I'm on the topic, does anyone know which show Axl was discussing people to "Step Back" and "People passing out and shit" before It's So Easy on Live Era? Is that Donnington? 

Amazon Music Unlimited has both the censored and uncensored album available.  I am not sure why those other services only have the censored. :shrugs:

• 9 months later...
On 7/25/2019 at 12:57 PM, rebeldhipi said:

Its still a mystery where the second part of Patience is from ( the electric part) Matt does a drum fill that dosent match any of the suggested ones online.

My guess is that its from a 1992 stadium show. Prehaps Houston??

Also Welcome is a mystery, ive seen online it being marked as Argentina 1992 the second show.

Patience (Live In Mexico / 1993)

1 minute ago, 80309561 said:

Patience (Live In Mexico / 1993)

the first part is mexico 1993 but not the electric part.

Actually something like 5-8 years ago i was listening to this bootleg and recognized the same patience from live era, and went to wikipedia to change the recording date which used to be paris 1993

2 minutes ago, rebeldhipi said:

the first part is mexico 1993 but not the electric part.

Actually something like 5-8 years ago i was listening to this bootleg and recognized the same patience from live era, and went to wikipedia to change the recording date which used to be paris 1993

Probably Houston as You thought

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarceloJC said:

Does anyone know if the "New GN'R" had anything to do with the Live Era?!? Because thanks have names of some members and in Mr. Brownstone it seems that Robin Finck is in the voice of support in the chorus

Chris Pitman's name is in the Thank You section. Maybe he did some of the production (rerecording Axl's vocals, etc.)?

17 minutes ago, MarceloJC said:

Does anyone know if the "New GN'R" had anything to do with the Live Era?!? Because thanks have names of some members and in Mr. Brownstone it seems that Robin Finck is in the voice of support in the chorus

That voice is Izzy not Robin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, History2010 said:

That voice is Izzy not Robin.

Brownstone is a highlight on that uneven a.f. CD.

Izzy's rhythm is so cool under Slash's solo...Nice leaned out tone, just choppin it up.

• Like 1

I wish the Appetite lineup got more representation.  You're Crazy is one of the highlights of the album because of how it is not altered at all, just Steven laying down his groove and the rest of the band vibin'

To me, the fact that the lineup that netted GNR's most iconic album hasn't gotten a dedicated live concert album beyond a televised broadcast of the Ritz show, is criminal!  

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

Live era was a Del James project. Not assertive remaking vocals, guitars, deleting rants.... etc etc. Thats wasnt the real essence of gnr. U cant erase history.

And now.... i believe is necesary to remake vocals in a NITL Live Era project. 

On 10.5.2020 at 9:16 PM, mikeman5150 said:

I was told a long time ago by a guy I used to work with that the “take a few steps back” was from Hershey PA 91’ with skid row. Whether that’s true or not, I have no idea. 

I just did a quick listen of that show and Axl does stop the show after the first song but its not the same speech from live era, not even in a edited form.

Edited by rebeldhipi
  • Like 1

I'm in the minority that loves Live Era. 

Rocket queen is amazing, I like that gilbys guitar is missing makes slash's stand out and you can play the rhythm along with it (although very badly). Some great rough versions of tracks on there. 

Before the world of YouTube it was the only live example I had of GNR apart from my mums vhs of the freddie tribute concert. Could pretend to be axl with my makeshift axl style mic. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 2:42 AM, The Macaroni Incident? said:

I hate, hate, hate Live Era.

* The album cover shows all the posters from the club days with Adler, but the overwhelming majority of the tracklist is from the Illusion tour with Sorum on drums.

* Bad track selection. Where was "Civil War"? Where was "Live and Let Die"? Where was "Double Talkin' Jive"?

* Axl's studio recorded vocals are weak compared to the actual raspy live performances. I like rasp.

* Timing of the release. Why release in 1999 when no one cared anymore? Would have made more sense to come out in 1994.

I realize this post is from last summer but I just want to say that I agree with everything here and piggyback on the last point: they knew there would be a long delay between TSI? and when their next album would come out (Axl mentioned 1996 specifically in his last interview before the hiatus), and I know they were attempting to put together "The Perfect Crime" documentary (and likely therefore a live album)...but if you knew Slash was gonna be gone with Snakepit throughout 1995 and there's no real material being recorded/friction in the band...why not dig up the UYI live material and put an album out as a stopgap sometime in '95?

That way you appease the fans and would give yourself some time to regroup and get some material ready.

Then again this is Guns N' Roses and doing things that make sense isn't really up their alley...

1 hour ago, Crazyman said:

I realize this post is from last summer but I just want to say that I agree with everything here and piggyback on the last point: they knew there would be a long delay between TSI? and when their next album would come out (Axl mentioned 1996 specifically in his last interview before the hiatus), and I know they were attempting to put together "The Perfect Crime" documentary (and likely therefore a live album)...but if you knew Slash was gonna be gone with Snakepit throughout 1995 and there's no real material being recorded/friction in the band...why not dig up the UYI live material and put an album out as a stopgap sometime in '95?

That way you appease the fans and would give yourself some time to regroup and get some material ready.

Then again this is Guns N' Roses and doing things that make sense isn't really up their alley...

I thought they had to do this because of a deal with the record label? Sort of like the Greatest hits album, i'm not sure though. I would love the album if they kept the original vocals, even with the weird setlist, although rarer songs would be nice.