Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Since the Appetite days which was glorious in its raw minimalism, it seems that Rose has implemented a policy to include at least one member in Guns N' Roses who is firstly highly superfluous and secondly extremely annoying: Dizzy; the 1992 big band including Tracey, Roberta and Teddy; Paul Tobias; Pitman; DJ Ashba; this Melissa person. 

I swear we were having these same debates before, about other dramatis personae - most recently Ashba. It is almost seems a deliberate strategy to annoy a sizable segment of the fanbase whatever the present line-up.

Did anyone else read this in Frasier Crane's voice?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Padme said:

Based on what you make the claim she is a better fit than Tracy and Roberta? Melissa's image doesn't fit in a rock band GN'R or other. She would be a great fit for Madonna's tour. They could've hired a another female singer/keyboard player whose image is closer to Lita Ford and not to Lady Gaga.

Based on the backing vocals being better. If your biggest issue is that she doesn't look rock n roll enough, you're probably just looking for something to complain about. :shrugs: 

I think Axl, Slashs, and Duffs "rock n roll" days are well behind them (for the better).

Nothing rock n roll about a bunch of sober guys.

Nothing rock n roll about a bunch of guys who live in mansions.

Nothing rock n roll about 2 overweight guys and 1 very healthy and physically fit guy.

Nothing rock n roll about having gone to college to study business to manage your millions.

As for Steven, theres nothing rock n roll about being vegan.

Nothing rock n roll about having their lives together

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Based on the backing vocals being better. If your biggest issue is that she doesn't look rock n roll enough, you're probably just looking for something to complain about. :shrugs: 

Well in your view her backing vocals are better. I don't like her image at all. 

8 minutes ago, Mendez said:

I think Axl, Slashs, and Duffs "rock n roll" days are well behind them.

Nothing rock n roll about a bunch of sober guys.

Nothing rock n roll about a bunch of guys who live in mansions.

Nothing rock n roll about 2 overweight guys and 1 very healthy and physically fit guy.

Nothing rock n roll about having gone to college to study business to manage your millions.

As for Steven, theres nothing rock n roll about being vegan.

Nothing rock n roll about having their lives together

I don't think their rock days are over. They keep playing WTTJ, ISE, YCBM, RQ, OTGM, Mr. Brownstone. If one day all their songs are like November Rain then I would agree with you.

They have to be sober otherwise they would be dead by now. They don't have too much of a choice

Edited by Padme

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

*reads the last couple pages of this thread and remember why I barely check this thread*

I kinda get the complaints about Melissa, but the band has had 2 keyboard players since the UYI tour, her backup vocals fit better than Tracy & Roberta and tbh she's barely noticeable at the shows. The complaints about her are infinitely more annoying than she actually is. :shrugs:

Most don't consider the CD years Guns N' Roses.. And the classic line ups technically did not have  two keyboard players since the UYI tour. That a tour started without out one and ended without out one during the Skin N' Bones tour.. They did the whole bloated biker short tour with the singers, trumpets and Teddy to do something different and then stripped it right back down because it got old. That Skin N' Bones tour was perfect too. And  Teddy wasn't a band member and wasn't onstage looking like he was having a seizure the whole show when he wasn't needed. He was out there for a couple songs and then went back stage where he belonged. They sounded outstanding that Skin N' Bones tour too. This chick is so not needed, is highly annoying to a lot of people and looks like a moron up there. Most Guns fans bailed on GnR during the CD years because it was a bloated joke. People were just hoping that they could revert back closer to their old school bad ass, stripped down rock n roll form.. Which they did some what by dropping the not needed 3rd guitarist. Thank God.. They should drop her too.. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I think we should give Reese a chance to see what she can do creatively before entirely writing her off.

Even worse. The last fucking thing I want is to hear her creativity anywhere near a Guns N' Roses song.. This is Guns N Fucking Roses.. not SKRILLEX!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Padme said:

Well in your view her backing vocals are better. I don't like her image at all. 

I don't think their rock days are over. They keep playing WTTJ, ISE, YCBM, RQ, OTGM, Mr. Brownstone. If one day all their songs are like November Rain then I would agree with you.

They have to be sober otherwise they would be dead by now. They don't have too much of a choice

I meant their "rock n roll" attitude is behind them for the better good. It was a sarcastic post in response to "melissa isnt rock n roll enough". Well none of them are now. Now they all seem to be in a good place in their lives

Edited by Mendez

56 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Her backing vocals are over rated too and certainly not needed. She might sound ok on a ballad or two but not needed.. These same songs sounded fine with Izzy, Duff, Gibly and Matt doing backups.. Apparently Fortus and Frank can't pick up that slack.

Or again, have her come out for the 2 songs she is "needed". She doesn't need to be flopping around like a blue meathead the whole show. 

23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They could sing about food?

Cool ranch dressing? 

51 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Even worse. The last fucking thing I want is to hear her creativity anywhere near a Guns N' Roses song.. This is Guns N Fucking Roses.. not SKRILLEX!!

I can see where you're coming from, but she does have some interesting projects under her belt:

I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and see what she can come up with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Fucking shoot me if Guns N Roses release more music that sounds like that. They were GREAT at playing bad ass hard rock infused blues music with a few epic masterpieces. That made them the greatest band in the world. That is what people loved..  The CD era is what made the majority of fans and others forget about them.  Axl sure fucked up and confused things so much by carrying the name through the mud for so long and releasing an album that aside from his voice, didn't resemble Guns N' Rose sound at all. Now it is just a big mess.. 

It is true that hard bluesy rock is what got Guns N' Roses on the map, but one thing i have always admired about the band is that they were never afraid to venture beyond their comfort zones. They may have a small catalogue, but what is there is broad and distinct in its own right. I wouldn't mind seeing what Reese can do in the band, and i'm sure we will get some hard rock stuff as well, if any music is at all released.

Many people forgot about Guns N' Roses because core members left and Axl dropped of the face of the earth. If anything, keeping the GN'R name running is probably what yielded him more attention from the media and consumers. If he had just gone solo, i doubt he would have had the same coverage and success (however you determine it). Regarding Chinese Democracy not resembling Guns N' Roses, i think it's just the point that Axl has always wanted to evolve as a musician, and Chinese Democracy is a milestone on that evolution. Anyone walking into Chinese Democracy, expecting it to sound like AFD, were fools.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Regarding Chinese Democracy not resembling Guns N' Roses, i think it's just the point that Axl has always wanted to evolve as a musician, and Chinese Democracy is a milestone on that evolution. Anyone walking into Chinese Democracy, expecting it to sound like AFD, were fools.

That just shows how BIG Axl's ego was... He wanted to evolve so much and didn't give a rats ass about what anyone else in the band wanted. It ultimately drove them apart and he was the last man standing. Just as you said. CD was a milestone in Axl's evolution.. Not Guns N' Roses evolution.. No one expected it to sound like Guns N' Roses because it wasn't Guns N' Roses..

Now we are stuck in a weird situation.. 

29 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

It is true that hard bluesy rock is what got Guns N' Roses on the map, but one thing i have always admired about the band is that they were never afraid to venture beyond their comfort zones. They may have a small catalogue, but what is there is broad and distinct in its own right. I wouldn't mind seeing what Reese can do in the band, and i'm sure we will get some hard rock stuff as well, if any music is at all released.

Many people forgot about Guns N' Roses because core members left and Axl dropped of the face of the earth. If anything, keeping the GN'R name running is probably what yielded him more attention from the media and consumers. If he had just gone solo, i doubt he would have had the same coverage and success (however you determine it). Regarding Chinese Democracy not resembling Guns N' Roses, i think it's just the point that Axl has always wanted to evolve as a musician, and Chinese Democracy is a milestone on that evolution. Anyone walking into Chinese Democracy, expecting it to sound like AFD, were fools.

The thing is CD was not a big commercial succes. So why would Axl make another album like CD when that album will be also a bust? The record company won't be happy either. They don't want to spend money in album that means little profit for them. I'm not asking Axl to clone AFD. But he shouldn't clone CD either. Maybe something UYI or Contraband kind of album would be the best way to go. 

Edited by Padme
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

That just shows how BIG Axl's ego was... He wanted to evolve so much and didn't give a rats ass about what anyone else in the band wanted. It ultimately drove them apart and he was the last man standing. Just as you said. CD was a milestone in Axl's evolution.. Not Guns N' Roses evolution.. No one expected it to sound like Guns N' Roses because it wasn't Guns N' Roses..

Now we are stuck in a weird situation.. 

I think it is too simple to lay the blame entirely on Axl's feet, as if creative differences were the sole problem causing disunity. Slash and Duff were battling their own demons, just as Axl was battling his.

It appears to me that too many people expected Chinese Democracy to sound like classic Guns N' Roses. Those complaints were always front and centre - that Chinese Democracy did not sound like AFD or UYI. of course it didn't. The album had different musicians and was focusing on areas Axl wanted to explore. Yes, Chinese Democracy was a milestone in Axl's evolution, and yes things would have been clearer for people if he didn't carry the Guns N' Roses brand, but ultimately consumers were only fooling themselves by believing that a band without key members would sound the same as it did decades prior. Anyone who knows Axl's music had a fair understanding of what to expect, and now that we have Slash and Duff back in the fold, i expect whatever comes next will surpass Chinese Democracy. We might again hit that sweet balance, but i would hope that Izzy and Steven find themselves on some tracks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Padme said:

The thing is CD was not a big commercial succes. So why would Axl make another album like CD when that album will be also a bust? The record company won't be happy either. They don't want to spend money in album that means little profit for them. I'm not asking Axl to clone AFD. But he shouldn't clone CD either. Maybe something UYI or Contraband kind of album would be the best way to go. 

Chinese Democracy was surely underrated and probably did not break even, however it did hit platinum in many countries. That being said, any album with Slash and Duff on it is likely to be a success, and with their involvement, i don't think things will be entirely like Chinese Democracy. Similarly, with Frank, Richard and Melissa's involvement, i don't think things will be like AFD or UYI either. I think this current lineup has the potential to venture further into interesting territory, although i do maintain hope that Steven and Izzy find their way on the album in some form.

• Like 2