Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

31 minutes ago, Padme said:

I don't think Axl had a vision. And I tell you why. In his interview with Kurt Loder around the time OMG was released. Loder asked him why it was taking so long to make an album. Axl's answer was he was trying to figure out how to figure out how to make a record. That doesn't sound to me that a person with a vison would give that kind of answer. This whole vision, integrity, perfectionist crap that we have been hearing for years came from other people. Either band members or managers were the ones using those words all the time in interviews. Those kind of words were nothing more than laughable excuses to justify the delay of CD and the lack of a follow up album before the reunion took place. It's a shame people fell for it.

CD songs just get a polite reaction.They cheer a Slash solo performance or Axl holding a note. The crowd gets fire up when they play the hits. I went to 2 shows last year. I know what what I saw.

I do agree with the CD songs. Some are just not great for a live atmosphere. People want to rock out which is hard to do with some of those songs. 90 percent of the crowd just want to hear the appetite/lies/illusions golden era songs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Padme said:

CD songs just get a polite reaction.They cheer a Slash solo performance or Axl holding a note. The crowd gets fire up when they play the hits. I went to 2 shows last year. I know what what I saw.

This is exactly what I saw at three different show last summer as well.  "Polite reaction" is perfect.  Sure there's a few (maybe 10% of the crowd in to the CD stuff, higher percentage in the pit).  But, overall these aren't the songs people are clamoring for.  Hell other than the one show I saw the pit more people sat down during CD songs than remained standing.

Anyone who claims differently is seeing things through rose colored glasses.

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Padme said:

I don't think Axl had a vision. And I tell you why. In his interview with Kurt Loder around the time OMG was released. Loder asked him why it was taking so long to make an album. Axl's answer was he was trying to figure out how to figure out how to make a record. That doesn't sound to me that a person with a vison would give that kind of answer. This whole vision, integrity, perfectionist crap that we have been hearing for years came from other people. Either band members or managers were the ones using those words all the time in interviews. Those kind of words were nothing more than laughable excuses to justify the delay of CD and the lack of a follow up album before the reunion took place. It's a shame people fell for it.

I went to two shows as well. Exactly what I saw...

As for the rest of your post you make many great points.. I think Axl may have had a vision but it wasn't his band and the rest of the guys didn't share his vision. His ego may have been so big at the time that he thought it was his band but it wasn't. Once they all bailed on him he just couldn't do it and failed.  It is like he is still trying to justify that 20 year black hole by forcing 4 of those crap songs down everyone's throat every night.  

• Like 3

Of course many people who attend the concerts don't get into the CD material. Most of them are there because of Slash and Duff. Many haven't even followed Guns N' Roses for the past 20 years. If Axl is lucky, maybe 15,000 of the 40,000 - 50,000 in attendance would actively know and enjoy the CD material. That said, i would even say that most of the crowd wouldn't know some of the band's deeper cuts either. Most are there to see Axl, Slash and Duff play the hits, and that's all.

3 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Of course many people who attend the concerts don't get into the CD material. Most of them are there because of Slash and Duff. Many haven't even followed Guns N' Roses for the past 20 years. If Axl is lucky, maybe 15,000 of the 40,000 - 50,000 in attendance would actively know and enjoy the CD material. That said, i would even say that most of the crowd wouldn't know some of the band's deeper cuts either. Most are there to see Axl, Slash and Duff play the hits, and that's all.

Still it doesn't make any sense to play 3, sometimes 4 CD songs. The casual fans are more familiar with the AFD, Lies and UYI songs. Despite the fact they may not know the all the lyrics by heart

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Padme said:

Still it doesn't make any sense to play 3, sometimes 4 CD songs. The casual fans are more familiar with the AFD, Lies and UYI songs. Despite the fact they may not know the all the lyrics by heart

I think it does. While the vast majority of attendees are there to see Axl, Slash and Duff on stage, playing CD songs is still a respectful nod to the last 20 years and the people who enjoyed the album. At the same time, the casual fans get the hits they want too. Besides, i don't see the problem when the extra Chinese songs serve only to extend the show and not replace any other song from another era. People are just getting more time for their money. Sure, you can argue that they should play You're Crazy or move OTGM, Patience and Don't Cry as permanent songs, but this way everyone gets a little bit of something. I haven't yet attended a concert, but it seems as if many people who didn't listen to CD or otherwise care, are liking the CD material as it is played by the current lineup. That's okay in my books. Everyone leaves happy.

• Like 1

Yeah man, Axl obviously know how to respect those who stay supportive in up and down through many years of desperate era.

Glory hunter who only supporting again when Slash and Duff return complaining about 3 or 4 goddamn song per show is kinda entitled tbh.

Even Slash and Duff know that, the evidence is what Axl said on Chinese exchange interview that Slash and Duff learn those song by themselves, Axl didn't even have to tell them.

28 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

At my show in SF....there was polite reaction too....but everyone stood for the entire show,  even through CD songs, jams etc. They were an amazing crowd! 

Yes, everyone was standing the entire show. I had a blast!

• Like 1

Slash also allegedly didn't like SCOM, it doesn't matter he likes CD song or not, but he probably know there's a portion of fans who wanted to hear how those tunes sounded with Slash flair on it.

About Duff probably he likes some CD tunes, because he was already known to like some song like So Fine.

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That was just Slash and Duff sucking up to Axl. Probably Duff, the diplomat, said to Slash, ''if you play this you will get into ginger's good books''. I refuse to believe Slash likes any of these songs.

Pretty sure he said he liked at least some of the songs back when CD was actually released.  Someone who cares more about this can back me up.

But why is it si unfathomable for you that Slash may have no issue playing these songs and didn't do it for any of the reasons you always claim?   

I mean you weren't there obviously and neither was I, but I don't see any reason to not believe Slash is ok playing these songs (for whatever reason you want to proffer).

On 2.2.2017 at 4:30 PM, AlexC said:

It's funny how times change. 2 years ago if you were given the option of having Slash and Duff back on the condition of having a female keyboardist join the band you'd all be like "So, you mean we get Slash and Duff back! AND on top of all that... Pitman is gone? FUCK YEAAAHHHH!!!!" *passes out with happiness*

But now you've all assimilated. It's all "she's useless and has stupid hair Waaaaahhhh!"

No. It's not about her being a woman, it's about her being annoying and not rock.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I think it does. While the vast majority of attendees are there to see Axl, Slash and Duff on stage, playing CD songs is still a respectful nod to the last 20 years and the people who enjoyed the album. At the same time, the casual fans get the hits they want too. Besides, i don't see the problem when the extra Chinese songs serve only to extend the show and not replace any other song from another era. People are just getting more time for their money. Sure, you can argue that they should play You're Crazy or move OTGM, Patience and Don't Cry as permanent songs, but this way everyone gets a little bit of something. I haven't yet attended a concert, but it seems as if many people who didn't listen to CD or otherwise care, are liking the CD material as it is played by the current lineup. That's okay in my books. Everyone leaves happy.

I don't mind if they play one or two different CD song in every show. But 3 or 4 are too much. I checked the list of the songs in Japan that someone made in Excel or something like it. In 3 out of 5 shows they play 4 CD songs. I'm sorry but I'm against that. Instead of The Seeker they could play one CD song. And instead of Layla and Wish You Were Here they could play another CD song. I can make that deal. We have to keep in mind this is a reunion tour, and with NuGN'R Axl has been playing CD songs since 2001. I believe it is time to give more room to AFD, Lies and UYI songs

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

Pretty sure he said he liked at least some of the songs back when CD was actually released.  Someone who cares more about this can back me up.

But why is it si unfathomable for you that Slash may have no issue playing these songs and didn't do it for any of the reasons you always claim?   

I mean you weren't there obviously and neither was I, but I don't see any reason to not believe Slash is ok playing these songs (for whatever reason you want to proffer).

He said it was good to hear Axl's voice. He had a slightly sarcastic remark about the actual music. Never said they were good songs.

10 minutes ago, Padme said:

I don't mind if they play one or two different CD song in every show. But 3 or 4 are too much. I checked the list of the songs in Japan that someone made in Excel or something like it. In 3 out of 5 shows they play 4 CD songs. I'm sorry but I'm against that. Instead of The Seeker they could play one CD song. And instead of Layla and Wish You Were Here they could play another CD song. I can make that deal. We have to keep in mind this is a reunion tour, and with NuGN'R Axl has been playing CD songs since 2001. I believe it is time to give more room to AFD, Lies and UYI songs

Exactly this.. 3 or 4 songs is just way too many.... One or two would be perfect and well needed piss breaks.

5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

He said it was good to hear Axl's voice. He had a slightly sarcastic remark about the actual music. Never said they were good songs.

Sorry, but the facts are otherwise, article from 09/2008 including slash quotes:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/slash-calls-guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-a-great-statement-172820

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

Well he is desperate for money, isn't he? The songs are absolute turds. Nobody in their right mind would actually want to play them.

The ultimate indignity was surely Slash playing 'Sorry'. That was probably the moment Axl knew he had won the war.

8 hours ago, Padme said:

Very good post. I still think Axl had a vision- obviously he failed: im not an Axl nutter saying he was a brilliant genius who could've changed the industry. But he did have a vision in some form.

• Having both a Virtuoso shredder and a feel guitar player to evolve the sound to give the band a broader variety

• Two keyboardists. Hate them or not, Axl's idea was to fill out his sound this way to delve into songs like Silkworms and Oh My God. There was an entire album full of these songs at some point and sub bass, synth and "electronic farts" remain on the album

• Pushing forward an entirely new band under an old name

• The themes of Chinese Democracy also are his vision and have been for years- he at least planned to release a second half of Chinese and a remix album.

• Recording 50-60 songs with the plan to stockpile albums as to tour, release an album, 2009 new album, tour, CDIII 2010, etc...

I'm not sitting here arguing Axl's vision was successful and how great it is. It failed. He crashed and burned miserably as much as I love. Chinese Democracy. But come on, the man wallowed (albeit his fault) for 17 years- we can at least owe him the fact he had a vision. You still have to "figure out how to make a record" with one. He totally abandoned the vision after 2009-2010 and DJ Assba but still had one.

Also, CD songs get a great reaction live. At the show I went to, people got excited to the intro of CD to the same way they did Jungle. This I Love wowed the entire audience. Sorry is a bore though..

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Well he is desperate for money, isn't he? The songs are absolute turds. Nobody in their right mind would actually want to play them.

The ultimate indignity was surely Slash playing 'Sorry'. That was probably the moment Axl knew he had won the war.

I am perfectly in my right mind and Chinese Democracy is my second favourite Guns album.

Its only music, and if you were unbiased and less dramatically insecure about your tastes you'd probably be able to appreciate more of it.

Just now, AlexC said:

I am perfectly in my right mind and Chinese Democracy is my second favourite Guns album.

Its only music, and if you were unbiased and less dramatically insecure about your tastes you'd probably be able to appreciate more of it.

I do not see how I could potentially ''appreciate more'' considering much of my free time is already preoccupied with listening to music!

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Your entitled to your opinion that CD songs suck, just a friendly reminder Sorry wasn't about Slash ;) 

Edited by AxlRoseCDII