Ritz - Official Thread - Feb. 15th 2012

Tyler Drama

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to see 0:00 ~ 0:08. Show how Axl still haves the rasp. Best live version since 2010 i think. Nice combination between rasp and clean voice ! Go GN'R ! GO ! rock3

Good version indeed. Great balance between the rasp and clean, and equally powerful throughout.

Goddammit man, i can't stop listening that part, that was so "OMG" :shocked: so powerful. :tongue2:

Holy shit, last night was EPIC. Best set list ever. And fucking Civil War, again, THE BEST SONG OF THE NIGHT. Something about the way the new band plays it, with three guitars, just makes this song hit so hard. Late night. Got home at 5pm. Axl showed up at the after party around 4. Left in a fury around 4:45. Always drama! LOL...

Details man! Where? how? who? why!?

Holy shit, last night was EPIC. Best set list ever. And fucking Civil War, again, THE BEST SONG OF THE NIGHT. Something about the way the new band plays it, with three guitars, just makes this song hit so hard. Late night. Got home at 5pm. Axl showed up at the after party around 4. Left in a fury around 4:45. Always drama! LOL...

Details man! Where? how? who? why!?

Hello? Kaneda? WE NEED OUR AXL FIX!

Please details!:)

Alrighty then, let's see what comes of this review I'm trying to write up.

We had a mostly uneventful drive into the city. We got a bit lost right around the venue because my GPS dropped the signal, but we eventually found a parking garage on 9th St, and got to the venue by 5:30-ish. My mom and I were 4th and 5th in the VIP line, behind GNRSkidRow and a couple guys from Miami. It was much better weather for queueing than Sunday, so that was nice seeing as I'm still pretty sick. At one point GNRSkidRow and I went to the PourHouse (?) across the street and got some burgers for dinner. They were both supposed to be well done and were practically raw, oh well. A little after 7 they moved the line into the lobby. They were pretty strict about cameras/banners at the security check, but didn't end up caring inside.

Met a couple other forum members, both from here and HTGTH, all very cool guys :thumbsup: The VIP process was a little slower last night than on Sunday; we ended up actually getting allowed onto the floor around 9, but the general admission was pushed back a bit too to make it fair. Swapped my UCAP shirts with the holes on the way in, no hassle at all about that! We were just off of center to the left, still in front of the extension.

Toilet Boys came on at 10:15-ish. Really don't have much to say about them. They sounded like a bad Ramones cover band, and ironically they closed with Blitzkrieg Bop. There was an hour changeover for Guns, not short, but not too long either.

Everyone in Guns except Axl was hanging out behind the risers for a solid 10 minutes before the lights went down. I was expecting Jungle as the opener because everyone came out onstage during the Dexter Intro, so I was again pleasantly surprised when the intro tape for Chinese Democracy started. Still the best opener this band has IMO, it never gets old. Even from the get-go, the crowd was really into the show. The crowd started getting a bit rowdy for Jungle/Easy/Brownstone, but it tamed down a bit after that, and really didn't get wild again until YCBM.

Right off the bat, this show felt very different from the Terminal 5 show; it has a really amazing vibe all around. The band was really firing on all cylinders last night, and Axl sounded incredible, and I've never seen him in such a good mood! He spent a great deal of time making direct eye contact with people in the crowd, constantly giving people on the barrier handshakes, it was great. Shackler's caught me a bit off-gaurd, I wasn't quite expecting that in the club shows. Rocket Queen and Estranged sounded exceptional last night.

The first big surprise of the night came when Axl said "we're going to do a song we haven't played in a long time...", and the band busted into the slow version of You're Crazy! I never imagined I'd see Guns do this one live, and after seeing it I can't imagine it being out of the setlist! It's a great mid-set song, and really makes for a nice change-of-pace mid-show. One of my favorite memories of the show was actually Dizzy's solo; neither at a show I've been to or I have a recording of do I remember the crowd singing Baba O'Riley, but everyone was singing it and it was an amazing, borderline magical moment. You could really tell Dizzy got a kick out of that one! I was also glad DJ did Mi Amor...frankly, the Ballad Of Death bores me. By this point in the show, we'd already amassed at least one pick from each guitarist, maybe 2 from Bumblefoot. All 3 of our BBF picks from last night were given to us directly by Bumblefoot; no tossing them or anything, he put them in our hands and rolled our hands up...such a cool dude! DJ threw one right to my mom during SOD, upon studying the picks after the gig, that DJ one was actually a special pick from the NYE gig at The Joint, so that was a pleasant surprise!

The mid-portion of the set came and went pretty uneventfully (Though, exceptionally so). I really wish Axl would sing a bit more of Gran Torino, it's a very cool bit in his solo. I could see it becoming the new It's Alright or something. Bumblefoot's solo was great as always; someone threw a shirt on stage for him, and he seemed to really enjoy that. Of course, Don't Cry was a highlight as it always is. The main set ended on the highest of notes, with a one-two-three punch of Civil War, Used To Love Her and Nightrain. Civil War was everything I expected it to be live, and more. This band plays the fuck out of that song! Used To Love Her was another more-than-welcome surprise, and Nightrain was one of the finest renditions I can recall.

The encore was pretty run-of-the-mill, with the notable exception of My Michelle. There is no reason this shouldn't be a regular in the setlist, it's absolutely incredible live. One of my favorite's I've seen the band do to date! Maddy and Patience were just as good as ever, and Better is still my favorite CD song they play live regularly. During Paradise City we threw our banner up to Axl. He'd given us a thumbs up when we had it out earlier in the night, so it was really cool when he unfolded it to show the rest of the audience! I was able to snap a couple pictures of that, and then he threw it back to us B) The crowd got really rowdy when they hit the double-time in PC though, everyone in the center rushed forward at the barrier, and all the people on the barrier suddenly were getting pushed out to the sides. I couldn't get my feet on the ground while the crowd was shifting because it was so densely packed, I was just pinned between 2 people, that was a little scary to be honest. Soon enough, the immense 196 minute show was over, and My Way was playing over the PA as per regular.

Something about this show was just unlike any gig I've ever seen from any band. Admittedly, Guns is not my favorite band (Though they're firmly inside my top 5), but I can't deny that last night blew away any Maiden gig, or any other band for that matter, that I've seen to date. It's hard to describe what made last night so special beyond the "well, the band sounded incredible" aspect. It's like, Axl is painted up to be the big rockstar, who goes on stage does his thing, and gets it over with. To see him in such an intimate venue, clearly having a great time and interacting with fans on a level I've never seen before, that was awesome.

Pictures coming soon... :xmasssanta:

Something about this show was just unlike any gig I've ever seen from any band. Admittedly, Guns is not my favorite band (Though they're firmly inside my top 5), but I can't deny that last night blew away any Maiden gig, or any other band for that matter, that I've seen to date. It's hard to describe what made last night so special beyond the "well, the band sounded incredible" aspect. It's like, Axl is painted up to be the big rockstar, who goes on stage does his thing, and gets it over with. To see him in such an intimate venue, clearly having a great time and interacting with fans on a level I've never seen before, that was awesome.

Shit. Am I high? Did Powerage just say a Guns gig was better than Maiden?

Damn I wish I could have been there. :(

Awesome man thanks for posting your experience!! Blew away any Maiden gig huh? GNR will do that to you :D

Those are big words coming from someone who's seen Maiden to the extent I have. Don't get me wrong, if I ever had to pick between the 2 for what gig to go to, Maiden would still be my choice, but I can't deny that last night was just the most incredible show I've ever been to.

Why don't you tell them about your beef with one of the GNR guys? :xmasssanta:

Wasn't really gonna bring it up, but I don't really have a reason not to I guess. Now, I don't know all of Guns' crew members' names, so bear with me on this one if some people are more "in the know". On Sunday night, one of your stereotypical middle-aged, "the world owes me everything" type of woman pushed her way up front after the show was over, bugging every crew member on stage for a setlist. I told her they don't hand them out since the stage copies are laminates, but then the crew member who looks like a heavier, paler version of Frank gave her a paper copy, similar to the one I got off a security guard at the Hamilton gig. So I figured I'd try to get one last night. I asked the same crew member who gave it out on Sunday after the show was over if he had a copy that night and his response was, in the rudest tone possible, and I quote "No, the band don't use setlists. Now fuck off". At this point, I had 2 problems with what had just gone down. First, I don't care who you are on a road crew, don't speak to any fan like that, let alone the diehards who are at multiple shows per year, and dropping hundreds of dollars on the overpriced VIP packages. Second, it baffles me why crew members always feel the need to lie about bands either not using setlists or not being allowed to give setlists out (I'm a huge setlist collector, so I've heard just about every bullshit excuse in the book). At this point, not really caring about the setlist anymore, I told him (In a civil tone which he apparently is unable to comprehend) how disappointed I was that someone on the payroll for one of my favorite bands would treat the fans so poorly. I honestly don't remember what he said next, but he was extremely pissed and while unplugging cables from Axl's monitors whipped one of the jacks at my face. On my way out, I just decided ask their sound guy for his name, I was just curious...I like to keep a tab on who's easy going and who's not (I do the same thing with Maiden's crew). He asked me why I wanted to know, so I told him what happened, and he apologized for the whole thing and said he was embarrassed a member of their team could be so rude over something so miniscule. He was extremely nice, he kept saying he wished there was some way he could make it up to me, and eventually we got talking about the Terminal 5 gig (Apparently everyone involved in the band was extremely disappointed in that show).

The whole thing boils down to a respect thing for me; he had no reason to disrespect me for asking a simple question. If I'd kept pestering him, I'd understand his frustration, but he had no justification for reacting the way he did :shrugs:

Awesome man thanks for posting your experience!! Blew away any Maiden gig huh? GNR will do that to you :D

Those are big words coming from someone who's seen Maiden to the extent I have. Don't get me wrong, if I ever had to pick between the 2 for what gig to go to, Maiden would still be my choice, but I can't deny that last night was just the most incredible show I've ever been to.

Wasn't really gonna bring it up, but I don't really have a reason not to I guess. Now, I don't know all of Guns' crew members' names, so bear with me on this one if some people are more "in the know". On Sunday night, one of your stereotypical middle-aged, "the world owes me everything" type of woman pushed her way up front after the show was over, bugging every crew member on stage for a setlist. I told her they don't hand them out since the stage copies are laminates, but then the crew member who looks like a heavier, paler version of Frank gave her a paper copy, similar to the one I got off a security guard at the Hamilton gig. So I figured I'd try to get one last night. I asked the same crew member who gave it out on Sunday after the show was over if he had a copy that night and his response was, in the rudest tone possible, and I quote "No, the band don't use setlists. Now fuck off". At this point, I had 2 problems with what had just gone down. First, I don't care who you are on a road crew, don't speak to any fan like that, let alone the diehards who are at multiple shows per year, and dropping hundreds of dollars on the overpriced VIP packages. Second, it baffles me why crew members always feel the need to lie about bands either not using setlists or not being allowed to give setlists out (I'm a huge setlist collector, so I've heard just about every bullshit excuse in the book). At this point, not really caring about the setlist anymore, I told him (In a civil tone which he apparently is unable to comprehend) how disappointed I was that someone on the payroll for one of my favorite bands would treat the fans so poorly. I honestly don't remember what he said next, but he was extremely pissed and while unplugging cables from Axl's monitors whipped one of the jacks at my face. On my way out, I just decided ask their sound guy for his name, I was just curious...I like to keep a tab on who's easy going and who's not (I do the same thing with Maiden's crew). He asked me why I wanted to know, so I told him what happened, and he apologized for the whole thing and said he was embarrassed a member of their team could be so rude over something so miniscule. He was extremely nice, he kept saying he wished there was some way he could make it up to me, and eventually we got talking about the Terminal 5 gig (Apparently everyone involved in the band was extremely disappointed in that show).

The whole thing boils down to a respect thing for me; he had no reason to disrespect me for asking a simple question. If I'd kept pestering him, I'd understand his frustration, but he had no justification for reacting the way he did :shrugs:

Some people get power trips from the lowest slice of authority or advantage given to them. It's ridiculous. Had some problems like that quite a few times. Since the show was over and I'd have 'nothing to lose', I don't think I'd keep my cool like you did. Kudos to you.

why were they dissapointed by the terminal 5 gig? and what a prick, sorry you had to go through that

:shock:

Alrighty then, let's see what comes of this review I'm trying to write up.

We had a mostly uneventful drive into the city. We got a bit lost right around the venue because my GPS dropped the signal, but we eventually found a parking garage on 9th St, and got to the venue by 5:30-ish. My mom and I were 4th and 5th in the VIP line, behind GNRSkidRow and a couple guys from Miami. It was much better weather for queueing than Sunday, so that was nice seeing as I'm still pretty sick. At one point GNRSkidRow and I went to the PourHouse (?) across the street and got some burgers for dinner. They were both supposed to be well done and were practically raw, oh well. A little after 7 they moved the line into the lobby. They were pretty strict about cameras/banners at the security check, but didn't end up caring inside.

Met a couple other forum members, both from here and HTGTH, all very cool guys :thumbsup: The VIP process was a little slower last night than on Sunday; we ended up actually getting allowed onto the floor around 9, but the general admission was pushed back a bit too to make it fair. Swapped my UCAP shirts with the holes on the way in, no hassle at all about that! We were just off of center to the left, still in front of the extension.

Toilet Boys came on at 10:15-ish. Really don't have much to say about them. They sounded like a bad Ramones cover band, and ironically they closed with Blitzkrieg Bop. There was an hour changeover for Guns, not short, but not too long either.

Everyone in Guns except Axl was hanging out behind the risers for a solid 10 minutes before the lights went down. I was expecting Jungle as the opener because everyone came out onstage during the Dexter Intro, so I was again pleasantly surprised when the intro tape for Chinese Democracy started. Still the best opener this band has IMO, it never gets old. Even from the get-go, the crowd was really into the show. The crowd started getting a bit rowdy for Jungle/Easy/Brownstone, but it tamed down a bit after that, and really didn't get wild again until YCBM.

Right off the bat, this show felt very different from the Terminal 5 show; it has a really amazing vibe all around. The band was really firing on all cylinders last night, and Axl sounded incredible, and I've never seen him in such a good mood! He spent a great deal of time making direct eye contact with people in the crowd, constantly giving people on the barrier handshakes, it was great. Shackler's caught me a bit off-gaurd, I wasn't quite expecting that in the club shows. Rocket Queen and Estranged sounded exceptional last night.

The first big surprise of the night came when Axl said "we're going to do a song we haven't played in a long time...", and the band busted into the slow version of You're Crazy! I never imagined I'd see Guns do this one live, and after seeing it I can't imagine it being out of the setlist! It's a great mid-set song, and really makes for a nice change-of-pace mid-show. One of my favorite memories of the show was actually Dizzy's solo; neither at a show I've been to or I have a recording of do I remember the crowd singing Baba O'Riley, but everyone was singing it and it was an amazing, borderline magical moment. You could really tell Dizzy got a kick out of that one! I was also glad DJ did Mi Amor...frankly, the Ballad Of Death bores me. By this point in the show, we'd already amassed at least one pick from each guitarist, maybe 2 from Bumblefoot. All 3 of our BBF picks from last night were given to us directly by Bumblefoot; no tossing them or anything, he put them in our hands and rolled our hands up...such a cool dude! DJ threw one right to my mom during SOD, upon studying the picks after the gig, that DJ one was actually a special pick from the NYE gig at The Joint, so that was a pleasant surprise!

The mid-portion of the set came and went pretty uneventfully (Though, exceptionally so). I really wish Axl would sing a bit more of Gran Torino, it's a very cool bit in his solo. I could see it becoming the new It's Alright or something. Bumblefoot's solo was great as always; someone threw a shirt on stage for him, and he seemed to really enjoy that. Of course, Don't Cry was a highlight as it always is. The main set ended on the highest of notes, with a one-two-three punch of Civil War, Used To Love Her and Nightrain. Civil War was everything I expected it to be live, and more. This band plays the fuck out of that song! Used To Love Her was another more-than-welcome surprise, and Nightrain was one of the finest renditions I can recall.

The encore was pretty run-of-the-mill, with the notable exception of My Michelle. There is no reason this shouldn't be a regular in the setlist, it's absolutely incredible live. One of my favorite's I've seen the band do to date! Maddy and Patience were just as good as ever, and Better is still my favorite CD song they play live regularly. During Paradise City we threw our banner up to Axl. He'd given us a thumbs up when we had it out earlier in the night, so it was really cool when he unfolded it to show the rest of the audience! I was able to snap a couple pictures of that, and then he threw it back to us B) The crowd got really rowdy when they hit the double-time in PC though, everyone in the center rushed forward at the barrier, and all the people on the barrier suddenly were getting pushed out to the sides. I couldn't get my feet on the ground while the crowd was shifting because it was so densely packed, I was just pinned between 2 people, that was a little scary to be honest. Soon enough, the immense 196 minute show was over, and My Way was playing over the PA as per regular.

Pictures coming soon... :xmasssanta:

Awesome man, memory of a lifetime! For you to say it blew away any Maiden gig, wow

why were they dissapointed by the terminal 5 gig? and what a prick, sorry you had to go through that

Sound, performance, venue. All in all they just thought it was a lackluster show. He must've said 2 or 3 times "I really hope tonight made up for Sunday night!" :lol:

Sound, performance, venue. All in all they just thought it was a lackluster show. He must've said 2 or 3 times "I really hope tonight made up for Sunday night!" :lol:

Sorry to hear you were treated in such a manner, no excuse for that behaviour like you say. At least you found someone approachable & hope you got the rude guy's name - not that you can probably do much about his treatment of you anyway :shrugs:

Appreciate all you've done with the pics/video's & updates for those of us who await announcements of tours in our respective countries. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: