Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

24 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Very cool Russ....."Midnight on the Inside Out" right into "Lickin" is such a killer one-two punch to open that album....love it.   And of course, one of their catchiest singles, "Soul Singin'" is on that album too.

The pink wax looks awesome too!

R-15805134-1598721550-4307.jpeg.jpg

I also got the SLINT record I wanted from a decent seller on discogs, and now all that's left are marked up copies by flippers.    Bastards.   But it was worth frantically clicking "refresh" cause I got the record I wanted, too.

The opening track on every Crowes album kicks ass but that Midnight / Lickin' combo is probably the best combo to start any of their records. 

And yeah, I hate flippers but it is what it is. 

I ended up passing on anythign on this particular RSD. I had thought about getting the Ace Frehley and Lennon releases but 40 bucks is way too much for the Ace LP and the Lennon single is pretty much just a promotional piece for the album of remixes coming next month.

I think the next 2 drops have releases I really want (slave to the grind, austin powers, McCartney, etc)

I’m not usually one to shell out for these super deluxe editions of albums, but I’m seriously considering getting the super deluxe 40th anniversary edition of Motörhead’s Ace Of Spades when it’s released next month. That set is ridiculously stacked for a price tag that isn’t totally outrageous, and besides all of the vinyls in the set, it’s got the album in 5.1 on DVD. 

Do any of you own the 12" single on November Rain, and if so, could you check if you have a cut in the top right hand corner of the sleeve?

I got my copy years ago and just assumed that there was a slight mishap with the previous owner. My friend recently purchased it and got it framed and he has the exact same cut. Was it to show the engraving on the LP? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

Also recently picked up the Locked N' Loaded boxset, so finally having Live Like a Suicide on vinyl is immensely pleasing. I'm not too bothered about not having the original pressing, I've got a few other cool GN'R items that make up for something so small!

Also bought the picture discs of Yesterdays and Live and Let Die. 

14 minutes ago, Dean said:

Do any of you own the 12" single on November Rain, and if so, could you check if you have a cut in the top right hand corner of the sleeve?

I got my copy years ago and just assumed that there was a slight mishap with the previous owner. My friend recently purchased it and got it framed and he has the exact same cut. Was it to show the engraving on the LP? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

it's called "cut-out" and was used back in the days to mark discounted items 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut-out_(recording_industry)

Edited by EricA
  • Like 1

I’m a big fan of Marilyn Mansons Mechanical Animals but it’s been out of print forever and you are looking at £350 for a copy....seems ludicrous to me that such a popular album by a popular artist would be out of print (I think the label Nothing went bust right enough but that was a subset of Interscope I think)?

It seems there are ‘unofficial versions’ on eBay etc which look cool but not keen to spend decent cash on something which sounds ‘iffy’. Anyone on here got or heard one of these unofficial ones?

On 9/15/2020 at 7:15 PM, DTJ80 said:

I’m a big fan of Marilyn Mansons Mechanical Animals but it’s been out of print forever and you are looking at £350 for a copy....seems ludicrous to me that such a popular album by a popular artist would be out of print (I think the label Nothing went bust right enough but that was a subset of Interscope I think)?

It seems there are ‘unofficial versions’ on eBay etc which look cool but not keen to spend decent cash on something which sounds ‘iffy’. Anyone on here got or heard one of these unofficial ones?

I have a few "unofficial" (read: bootleg) pressings. Most of them are live albums, so sound is always iffy on those. Usually it's more up to the quality of the source. 

Off the top of my head, I can think of one studio album that I have an "unofficial" pressing of. I bought a bootleg of Live Through This by Hole years before they finally reissued it. I was in the same boat as you are with Manson, I couldn't believe such a popular album had never been reissued. 

They eventually did reissue it and I bought that too. They sound almost identical to my eyes, which is pretty amazing. Having said that, I've heard that studio album bootlegs can be very hit or miss. 

42 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I have a few "unofficial" (read: bootleg) pressings. Most of them are live albums, so sound is always iffy on those. Usually it's more up to the quality of the source. 

Off the top of my head, I can think of one studio album that I have an "unofficial" pressing of. I bought a bootleg of Live Through This by Hole years before they finally reissued it. I was in the same boat as you are with Manson, I couldn't believe such a popular album had never been reissued. 

They eventually did reissue it and I bought that too. They sound almost identical to my eyes, which is pretty amazing. Having said that, I've heard that studio album bootlegs can be very hit or miss. 

Cheers - at least you have had a positive example which means it’s possible it could be good. I think I will do some further digging and see if I can get some reviews. I’ll report back incase anyone is interested. 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Anyone heading down to their local store this weekend for RSD?

I fancy that Yardbirds album.

I was only reminded of it at the weekend there. I'm positive I seen a Queen release, but there doesn't seem to be anything advertised on the RSD site. Might pick up that Alternate Rumours and Macca's first solo record.

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Anyone heading down to their local store this weekend for RSD?

I fancy that Yardbirds album.

There's nothing I need / want from this RSD Drop, so I'm sitting this one out. There's a couple of things I want from the October one though. 

19 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

There's nothing I need / want from this RSD Drop, so I'm sitting this one out. There's a couple of things I want from the October one though. 

I've gotten into the habit of going for some of the random RSD old jazz or blues releases, even if I don't know the artist. Something wrong about listening to 50's jazz on spotify. Vinyl it seems to come alive. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I've gotten into the habit of going for some of the random RSD old jazz or blues releases, even if I don't know the artist. Something wrong about listening to 50's jazz on spotify. Vinyl it seems to come alive. 

Totally agree. I've got a small amount of jazz LPs that I definitely need to expand. 

As for this particular RSD, I'll be spending way too much money on the 13 LP Prince set the day before, so I shouldn't go anywhere near the record store the following day haha. 

So I cocked up RSD this September release...

I couldn't get down early doors first thing as had a hospital appointment with my daughter I couldn't reschedule so went down late morning once we'd done. Everything I wanted (Bill Evans, Yardbirds, Black Sabbath tribute) had long gone (bloody flippers now selling for £50+ each - jokers that lot) so had a browse anyway. Picked up John Lee Hooker / Canned Heat (which is excellent) and made an impulse purchase with Roger Waters The Wall, which I thought was a solo live gig only to find out when I got home it is the crappy live version with Cindi Lauper etc all singing - will try and flog it I think.

Did manage to pick up a first pressing of ACDC's Powerage that I was after though, with the original mixes and track listing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 9:08 AM, RussTCB said:

Picked up the 3 LP Roger Waters live album Us+Them. 

Gonna try to get a couple of things from the next RSD Drop but there's nothing of interest for me on the RSD BF list. 

I'm going for that let it bleed, hand poured album strictly as a resell item. With only 900 made, if you can get one, it will go for A LOT.

And yeah, this 3rd drop from the "april" RSD is the one I've been waiting for. I think there are like 4-5 titles I am after.