The love/sex/relationship thread

Lithium

Fucking hell, I haven't even had a crush on anyone in nearly a year and a half... And aside from one girl who kissed me in a nightclub 7 months ago, I can't honestly recall actually meeting a lassie I thought "hang on a minute..." about in all that time. Not that I would have had any success if circumstances had been different :P.

I felt like this for quite a while, but the time will come. I was single for 7 years and for 3-4 of those I had no interest in anybody.

I don't know how those people who're never out of a relationship for more than 3 weeks manage it... I just think "Where do you find these people!?"

It just happens.

I'm quite shocked he disappeared and nobody seemed to bat an eye. I kinda miss the little god botherer.

I'm quite shocked he disappeared and nobody seemed to bat an eye. I kinda miss the little god botherer.

He's better off without the internet/GNR forums...seriously.

And while I genuinely wish him the best in (real) life, I think the internet/GNR forums are better off without him on them.

He is a forum institution, though.

Fucking hell, I haven't even had a crush on anyone in nearly a year and a half... And aside from one girl who kissed me in a nightclub 7 months ago, I can't honestly recall actually meeting a lassie I thought "hang on a minute..." about in all that time. Not that I would have had any success if circumstances had been different :P.

I felt like this for quite a while, but the time will come. I was single for 7 years and for 3-4 of those I had no interest in anybody.

I don't know how those people who're never out of a relationship for more than 3 weeks manage it... I just think "Where do you find these people!?"

It just happens.

Not to me, it doesn't...

• Like 1

My future in-laws haven't met my parents yet, we were hoping to get them together before Christmas but his folks just seem really uninterested :unsure:

How long have you guys been dating?

Nearly 6 years...
Haha I've been with my gf 6 and a half years, and our parents haven't met either! Her family's really quite sociable but my family's just... Dysfunctional haha and not really like normal parents. Theyre split up for a start, and their personalities are the exact opposites of my gfs family. So I dont think we've arranged anything for fear of it being very awkward and embarrassing haha

poor ma n da.

Do you know his parents well? Can you not see any sort of reason why they might not seem interested?

Edited by MrShankly

They're either not in real relationships so move on quickly or have no standards in 90% of those cases.

You're always more attractive when you have a partner though - I've been chased twice since I got with my current girlfrisn, but had only one but of interest in the previous years.

It just happens.

Not to me, it doesn't...
Me either, i just cant hold it together. The flip side is i couldnt give a shit sooo :D Edited by Len B'stard

My future in-laws haven't met my parents yet, we were hoping to get them together before Christmas but his folks just seem really uninterested :unsure:

How long have you guys been dating?

Nearly 6 years...
Haha I've been with my gf 6 and a half years, and our parents haven't met either! Her family's really quite sociable but my family's just... Dysfunctional haha and not really like normal parents. Theyre split up for a start, and their personalities are the exact opposites of my gfs family. So I dont think we've arranged anything for fear of it being very awkward and embarrassing haha

poor ma n da.

Do you know his parents well? Can you not see any sort of reason why they might not seem interested?

They have 2 boys so expected they wouldn't have to be involved in planning a wedding? :shrugs: I have no idea, they are nice and seem to really like me, they just seem to be not really engaging much with the whole thing at the moment. I guess if we weren't getting married it wouldn't be so important that we get them together soon.

They have now offered to contribute to the cost of the groomsmen's suits which is lovely of them, and have offered a date they could do for meeting my folks so hopefully things are improving. I was feeling a bit shut out because I'm sure his mum was more involved in his brother's wedding plans than she has been with ours...theirs was a lot more traditional though so maybe she figures she's best just leaving us to it :lol:

Edited by Axls Rocket Queen

Graeme, are you actively TRYING to meet anyone?

If you're not putting yourself in situations where you meet girls, then, no, it won't "just happen."

Graeme -

Just put a smile on your face and look for women that act differently around you than they do around other guys. I am a firm believer that the girl chooses the guy.

Be you, with confidence. If you try be somebody you're not, she will eventually figure it out and it won't end in your favor. Don't be fake.

Truth is, everyone has insecurities. Why do you think this thread has so many participants? It is because everyone is just as confused as we are. And the scary truth is that the insecurities never leave in a relationship. They will always be there.

I think love and attraction are illogical. Sometimes it just happens.

If you can be honest with a girl and be her lover as well as her friend, then that is something worth pursuing, but don't get me wrong, that kind of relationship takes time and they are far and few between.

Maybe try focus on yourself a little bit and try find a good group of support around you. Hit the gym? Join a group of people that meet every week? I am not saying to join a religious following, but maybe a group of guys that are there for you to pick you up?

Good company builds good character and I think good character can be an attractive asset you can bring into this world.

Stay in there. Life is tough. Nobody is safe or immune to heartache, and sometimes the ones that don't show it are hurting most of all.

If a girl is giving you the eye, get to know her, don't be afraid to tell her you're awkward if you are, sometimes hinting at Achilles heels' brings down barriers.

Good luck.

• Like 1

If you're not putting yourself in situations where you meet girls, then, no, it won't "just happen."

[/quote

Good company builds good character and I think good character can be an attractive asset you can bring into this world.

Graeme doesn't lack character.

All this wisdom isn't wrong at all. I just know that Graeme is going to meet the right lady and he will be himself and they will fall completely in love. He's just not met her yet-and that's ok. (Sorry G!) Beung single doesn't signify that anyone's bad in relationships, and I think that Graeme not shagging around and being selfish until he meets Miss Right is testament to that.

It just happens.

Not to me, it doesn't...

Same thing for me man. I have no problem meeting women but it's pretty much impossible to meet anyone that makes me stop and pause and then want to make time in my life to include them on a regular basis. I always look around and see people falling head over heels for others on a regular basis. In one relationship and "in love" for 4 months, break up and a month later find someone they are equally "in love" with. How the fuck does that happen? It's been 4 years since I've met anyone even remotely close to that but finally it happened about a month ago. Aside from that it's just a bunch of meaningless dates. I don't get how people become infatuated with anyone who smiles at them. What sucks is when it happens so rarely it makes dating kinda depressing because you know the feeling you're looking for and it's so far and few between it feels like a lifetime until the next one or THE one. But you go out with someone who's ok but that spark isn't there so it's like "well I could try again but I know it's not there so....". Some people just find it so easy and others well not so much.

Edited by Bono

They're either not in real relationships so move on quickly or have no standards in 90% of those cases.

You're always more attractive when you have a partner though - I've been chased twice since I got with my current girlfrisn, but had only one but of interest in the previous years.

I don't think it is that you are more attractive when you have a partner - I think it is that you're probably giving off more confident vibes. I believe we get back what we put out (no pun intended.)

When I was interested in men I got looked at and flirted with just on the street! I think I was just giving off 'vibes' and feeling confident. However, I've been celibate by choice for three years and I don't get those flirty glances from blokes any more. I'm not bothered cos that's not what I'm interested in my life right now. My focus is elsewhere. I think there are seasons for everything - times for being with someone, times for being alone.

I haven't had a crush on anyone for years. It's a bit boring but at least I'm not living in a dream world!

Edited by BetterDay7

Hmm, confidence is a part but not everything. I think people do look at somebody in a relationship and get jealous or realise what a great boyfriend or girlfriend they are.

Right now I'm just over a week away from getting the keys to my new place, and I can't wait to see how this changes my relationships with family and friends.

So a job has come up in Pittsburgh. It's like my old job, but the next rung up the ladder. I'm up for an adventure.

My husband doesn't want to move there, even though in web development, he's employable anywhere in the world.

Edit: I had a chat with their Editor and he's happy to consider remote working.

I applied with a letter basically saying "you're not going to hire me because I'm 8 hours ahead of you, but here's mu CV anyway..."

Edited by Gracii Guns

So a job has come up in Pittsburgh. It's like my old job, but the next rung up the ladder. I'm up for an adventure.

My husband doesn't want to move there, even though in web development, he's employable anywhere in the world.

I applied with a letter basically saying "you're not going to hire me because I'm 8 hours ahead of you, but here's mu CV anyway..."

PA's only 5 hours Grace. :)
  • Like 1

PA's only 5 hours Grace. :)

Yeah I realised.

I've heard it compared to Sheffield though, so maybe it's not worth moving for.

Sounds like an interesting opportunity. Would your husband consider it if it was fixed term, as in we'll do this for 2 years then return?

I know some people are less adventurous about moving around than others but post 30 ish it becomes harder to take opportunities as kids, mortgages, elderly relatives etc.. all start to kick in.

One of my biggest regrets is that I have never lived more than 5 miles away from where I grew up (this may not be the case for you I realise) age almost 40 I have very little choice or control over being able to change this and even if I did I would have to drag a load of people along with me who would probably never stop moaning about how i've ruined their life! <big sigh>

• Like 1

Sounds like an interesting opportunity. Would your husband consider it if it was fixed term, as in we'll do this for 2 years then return?

I know some people are less adventurous about moving around than others but post 30 ish it becomes harder to take opportunities as kids, mortgages, elderly relatives etc.. all start to kick in.

One of my biggest regrets is that I have never lived more than 5 miles away from where I grew up (this may not be the case for you I realise) age almost 40 I have very little choice or control over being able to change this and even if I did I would have to drag a load of people along with me who would probably never stop moaning about how i've ruined their life! <big sigh>

Yeah...I've suggested that we see the world for a couple of years. I think much of his resistance is that he got a new job in March, and has never been happier than working there. It is a job with great potential, and he will be looked after as time goes on. He now earns more than I ever did, so if he is going to be the main breadwinner, it makes sense to stick with his job. He's also a real homebody.

On paper, I fit that job 100%. To the point where it's likely I'd be the most suitable candidate by far. So they might be flexible with me anyway. The industry is small and we have many colleagues in common who will be able to put a good word in for me.

My other prospects with freelancing are really warming now anyway.

Yeah...I've suggested that we see the world for a couple of years. I think much of his resistance is that he got a new job in March, and has never been happier than working there. It is a job with great potential, and he will be looked after as time goes on. He now earns more than I ever did, so if he is going to be the main breadwinner, it makes sense to stick with his job. He's also a real homebody.

On paper, I fit that job 100%. To the point where it's likely I'd be the most suitable candidate by far. So they might be flexible with me anyway. The industry is small and we have many colleagues in common who will be able to put a good word in for me.

On a serious note though Grace, I would absolutely consider it. Even if you dont like the idea of Pittsburgh it could still be a means to an end. I mean the hardest part of getting into the US is getting sponsorship so you can get a green card. If you can get an employer to give you that sponsorship its a foot in the door from where you can start applying to jobs in more desirable parts of the country. Id do it in a heartbeat given the opportunity.

On a serious note though Grace, I would absolutely consider it. Even if you dont like the idea of Pittsburgh it could still be a means to an end. I mean the hardest part of getting into the US is getting sponsorship so you can get a green card. If you can get an employer to give you that sponsorship its a foot in the door from where you can start applying to jobs in more desirable parts of the country. Id do it in a heartbeat given the opportunity.
Yeah, do it Grace, put yourself about a bit (not like that! :lol:), oppertunities like that dont happen for just anybody and if your Hubs can do his thingie wherever hes at then whats the problem, I'm sure you've had your fill of the WUUUUUUNDERFUL north by now and even if you haven't it'll be here when you get back, God knows that craphouse has been like it is since the dawn of time, McLeods right (far right on occasion!) you need to get on that girlie :). The Pits vs Pittsburgh, i know which I'd choose! Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1