Why is Richard Fortus the most accepted/least hated member of NuGNR?

Because he kind of looks like Izzy.

I could take him or leave him.. First choice would be Izzy.. Second would be Gilby... I just figure if neither of those work out might as well keep Fortus to keep Axl happy and because he would look like Izzy up on stage from a distance.

Why would you choose Gilby over Fortus?

As a person he is generally quiet, keeps his head down, doesn't dress or act like a lunatic, and seems generally positive.

As a musician he is an incredibly skilled guitar player. His timbre is really rich and full, he doesn't fuck anything up, and his layers in the songs seem to actually have purpose.

Outside of the band the dude can really really play. He can sound comfortable and genuine playing multiple different styles of music or scale key, and can get a great sound out of the guitar.

As people have said, he is clearly not a leader and probably not particularly creative when it comes to writing music. I'm guessing he is probably some kind of audio nerd or music theorist that is more interested in the technical aspect of sound design rather than the art. And good for him, and wise man knows what he doesn't know, and he probably makes good money and has fun with Rihanna or Thin Lizzy as a session guitarist

• Like 3

Because he actually has talent and it fits the GNR style. Plus, I appreciate guitar players that remember the lost art of finger plucking.

He's quickly destroying it though with his bullshit. Dizzy wore out everyone's eyes and ears and now Fortus is going for employee of the month.

Because he kind of looks like Izzy.

I could take him or leave him.. First choice would be Izzy.. Second would be Gilby... I just figure if neither of those work out might as well keep Fortus to keep Axl happy and because he would look like Izzy up on stage from a distance.

Why would you choose Gilby over Fortus?

Because I hardly know Fortus and I didn't like Chinese Democracy. Gilby seemed to do a fine job the 3 times I saw him with Guns back in the day. I also liked the work he did on the first Snakepit record and thought the songs he did with Slash and Axl on Pawnshop guitars were great too. I just think it would have more of an authentic feel with him on there over Fortus.

I also think Gilby fits better because like Izzy, he has a huge Stones influence and you can hear it in his playing.

Edited by Tom-Ass

It depends how you view him really. Some people seem to believe that being a 'session' guitarist means that you are not creative. However to guitarists (like myself), you realise the range of players like Richard is absolutely ridiculous. He can literally play anything, and play it in his own style, as he does with GNR songs. I think musically he is a perfect fit for GNR, blues based rock solo's with that Hendrix vibe going on.

I love Izzy as he is a founding member of the band I grew up loving, but back in the 80's & 90's nobody even knew who he was. On this board he has grown into some mystical being who orchestrated AFD single handedly, which is simply not the case. Izzy generally played the fill for Slash's ideas, and help to glue the songs together. Izzy's 'sound' are songs like 14 years, You aint the first and Dust & Bones. You can hear this throughout his solo material, which in my view is very far away from how I want GNR to sound....

But this guy on the other hand:

• Like 1

I've never understood the hate for Gilby here. He came in, filled the live role well with Stonesy playing in 1992-1993 and Pawnshop Guitars is better than Snakepit/Chinese Democracy combined. He often played a Telecaster and I have always liked Telecasters. And yes I would select him over Fortus also.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

As a guitarist Fortus is really good, I really like his tone and style of playing, I find him way better than Robin, I know Both of them have a different approach, but in GNR, I'd choose him to play the lead over Robin.

Outside the forums or some GNR fans, no one even cares about Fortus being in GNR or not, 99% of the GNR fans don't even know who the hell he is. Many people mistake him for Izzy.

He is just another hired musician by Axl.

The thing which annoys me the most about him that he sucks too much to Axl, I know Axl is his boss and he would get fired and all, but man too much sucking is not good. He repeats the same dialogue every year.

If there is some sort of reunion in the future and If Izzy bails out, then I would Want Gilby to be there rather than Fortus.

I've noticed this for a while now. Even those who despise NuGNR don't seem to mind Fortus. I've seen several folks talk about an original band reunion adding Fortus into the mix. Why would you say Richard gets a free pass over the likes of Finck, Ron or BH (lets pretend DJ never happened)?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo way is 4tus the most hated member and I can make my argument with one emoticon: :dj:

I've noticed this for a while now. Even those who despise NuGNR don't seem to mind Fortus. I've seen several folks talk about an original band reunion adding Fortus into the mix. Why would you say Richard gets a free pass over the likes of Finck, Ron or BH (lets pretend DJ never happened)?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo way is 4tus the most hated member and I can make my argument with one emoticon: :dj:

I said least hated.

• Like 1

I said least hated.

My bad................quickly read the topic and replied. Nevermind!

He's a session musician. He knows what he's doing. He's a great guitar player, pretty low-key, mind his own business, play the songs other people wrote and collect his paycheck. What's not to like about him?

His nose.

Jk... Richard is a good side musician.

• Like 1

I agree with the complimentary things that have been said here about Fortus. He is a great player and he keeps his head down, seems to be a pleasant person offstage and doesn't seem to say anything foolish or inflammatory on social media/etc.

His lead tone doesnt suck, very enthusiastic on stage, isn't in the spotlight of playing slash's solos, looks like izzy.

Seriously, Ron's tone seriously was lacking, I mean Bucket's solo/outro solo on the title track of CD sounds very energetic, fast paced etc. But when I hear BBF play it sounds boring.

Edited by Mendez