Guns N' Roses PLAY TROUBADOUR LOS ANGELES, FRIDAY APRIL 1, 2016: Axl, Slash & Duff Reunited

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

This is crazy to me! Can't say that I've been overly blown away by everything so far, but I am getting excited now, seeing all the pictures and the general mood improvement among forum members.

I don't know why anyone who has basically signed out on gnr in 1985 joins a gnrforum... Created years and years after the date. 

If the idea of Axl, Slash and Duff with the possibility of more classic members dropping in doesn't excite then nothing will. To my knowledge this is as close to the 'Mecca' as it gets.

Again, I'm super happy about all that's happening, but I take it for what it is. And amusing reunion for old times sake. 

To me GNR was about showing absolute beauty in the purity of destruction. And that required youth, and naive notes.

But yea, it's only RNR after all, right!? :-)

3 minutes ago, ndombros said:

just my two cents (relating back to the thread's topic, ancient history, i know)

i had bought tickets for Hollywood Roses last week or so when announced, received all the emails about cancellations and so on, but gave the Whisky a call this afternoon to re-reserve my ticket (even though my bet is on the Troubadour)....when I called and talked to the box office, they said, "Just so you know, Guns n Roses isn't playing at the WHISKY..." and then insinuated that it would indeed be happening somewhere on the strip.

not breaking news, i know, but have been waiting for my account to be approved so i could share!

All the Hollywood & WEHO venues should be denying GNR is making an appearance.  

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

This is crazy to me! Can't say that I've been overly blown away by everything so far, but I am getting excited now, seeing all the pictures and the general mood improvement among forum members.

I don't know why anyone who has basically signed out on gnr in 1985 joins a gnrforum... Created years and years after the date. 

If the idea of Axl, Slash and Duff with the possibility of more classic members dropping in doesn't excite then nothing will. To my knowledge this is as close to the 'Mecca' as it gets.

It is great for all the fans who have wanted it for 20 years. But he makes a valid point. GN'R from 1986-1988 just might be the best rock band ever. I watch their early gigs on YouTube and it's just ridiculous how good they were. Sloppy for sure, but magical energy and pure talent oozing out of all 5 of them. There is no way to replicate the youthful energy they had at the time. 30 years will take a toll on everyone. It will never be the same.

But it will still be exciting to watch everything unfold. My biggest hope of this entire situation is that we get some official video releases of concerts and possibly the UYI Documentary. If we are lucky they will actually create some new music, but I'm not expecting it. The music business now is all about touring.

• Like 1

I can't believe we're talking about a secret GNR gig at the place where it all began, 30 years later, and there are people complaining about not seeing them first. We will get the chance to see them (there will be pictures, blog posts, videos, etc) at a smaller venue and how they interact with each other at a small stage. It's a familiar place for them, it's not a "cash grab" show, they'll have a chance to talk more than at a regular show. How's that less important than you seeing the very first show?

Seriously, get over yourselves. This is much bigger.

Besides, it won't be a full set, they won't have the whole stage, it's a completely different thing.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dalsh327 said:

All the Hollywood & WEHO venues should be denying GNR is making an appearance.  

i maintain a healthy suspicion because the Whisky has been all too quick to share all these articles on twitter and facebook add to the hype....they seem to be jumping on to this, maybe theyre a lil overexcited

7 minutes ago, Subtle Signs said:

You have to figure that half of the 500 tickets will be for GNR friends and family leaving about 250 for the general public to fight for.

I've been there for smaller bands and I have no idea how you could fit 500 people into that place... It's gonna be intimate alright.

2 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i fuckign somehow think this is indeed happening all 5 originals one night at a club and then the GNR entities takes its course from there

i should fucking fly there - when are they gonna fucking say

i think they are fucking with everyone and are behind it...

FUCK! :lol:

1 minute ago, GNRfan2008 said:

It is great for all the fans who have wanted it for 20 years. But he makes a valid point. GN'R from 1986-1988 just might be the best rock band ever. I watch their early gigs on YouTube and it's just ridiculous how good they were. Sloppy for sure, but magical energy and pure talent oozing out of all 5 of them. There is no way to replicate the youthful energy they had at the time. 30 years will take a toll on everyone. It will never be the same.

But it will still be exciting to watch everything unfold. My biggest hope of this entire situation is that we get some official video releases of concerts and possibly the UYI Documentary. If we are lucky they will actually create some new music, but I'm not expecting it. The music business now is all about touring.

Finally someone who gets it. :-)

That "sloppiness", those naive notes as I call them, were part of the Art of GNR. That's exactly what I look for in every early bootleg I listen to. As soon as they started steering away and forcing to show how "professional" they were becoming (second half of 1988 - drum solos? extended guitar solos? Anyone? Jeez..), the old magic was just being corrupted.

GNR 1985 to 1st half of 1988 WAS THE BEST ROCK BAND EVER. The perfect embodiment through music of youth, hunger, anger, love, sadness, pain, elation, arrogance. Without all the usual bullshit we humans are so fond of coming up with, as excuses, in our daily lives. Pure unhinged GENIUS. 

Now, let's enjoy whatever comes out of this reunion thingie, but I SHALL take it for what it is. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

That "sloppiness", those naive notes as I call them, were part of the Art of GNR. That's exactly what I look for in every early bootleg I listen to. As soon as they started steering away and forcing to show how "professional" they were becoming (second half of 1988 - drum solos? extended guitar solos? Anyone? Jeez..), the old magic was just being corrupted.

GNR 1985 to 1st half of 1988 WAS THE BEST ROCK BAND EVER. The perfect embodiment through music of youth, hunger, anger, love, sadness, pain, elation, arrogance. Without all the usual bullshit we humans are so fond of coming up with, as excuses, in our daily lives. Pure unhinged GENIUS. 

Now, let's enjoy whatever comes out of this reunion thingie, but I SHALL take it for what it is. 

gonna agree

i think the best part of the clips is how good steven is, the guy sometimes drums like it's the lead instrument but then it's actually toe to toe with axl

8 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i fuckign somehow think this is indeed happening all 5 originals one night at a club and then the GNR entities takes its course from there

i should fucking fly there - when are they gonna fucking say

i think they are fucking with everyone and are behind it...

That would be the best thing EVER at this point in time. Just one small gig, only the 5 REAL GNR, and then that's it. No fucking tours, arena's etc...
Leave the world CRAVING, YEARNING for more. Like a drug. 

That would be soooo GNR to me. But hey, that's just me. :-)

6 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

They were freaking incredible. REAL music. Raw and unfiltered with no bullshit. The last great rock band IMHO. The people who were there for the early club days and the Appetite tour have no idea how lucky they were.

2 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

gonna agree

i think the best part of the clips is how good steven is, the guy sometimes drums like it's the lead instrument but then it's actually toe to toe with axl

Steven was as much a magic part of the sound as all the other members were. No doubt. Personally, I'm just as attracted/entranced to him playing drums back then as I am to Axl, and Axl was pretty fucking Impossibly, Irresistibly Beautiful back then. 

Example: Steven's arrangements in Don't Cry were pathetic by any proper, professional drumming standards. But that's exactly what made them so enthralling, so magical, so young and fresh and naive and fit the song so terribly well.

Alright guys, I had a rare day off today so I decided to roll the dice and go to the Troubadour. Needless to say, what I discovered just muddies the waters up even more.  

First thing I noticed was the 'upcoming shows' vinyl banner out front in the window. As you can see this banner had to have been up for some time because the first show advertised is on 2/23. And of course there's no event listed for 04/01 which means this date has been reserved for some time.

So I walked around to the back alley and there were probably like 6 or 7 people working - nothing at all that would indicate anything GnR related was going on (And nothing of GnR's would be there the night before anyway for a club that small. Professional road crews always set up and break down gigs on the same day. Plus, there's a band playing tonight anyway). The workers were pretty quiet, but nice. I told them I was looking for the Troubadour ticketing office and so one of the workers invited me into the Troubadour main room to talk to the lady in charge. I went in and politely asked if any tickets were available for tomorrow night which was met with a rather aggressive "no!" And that was it and I was directed outside. Her reaction was telling enough - if tomorrow's concert was a rock show with a bunch of elementary school girls, I would have expected a different tone and response. Bottom line is she wanted me gone, stat.

So on my way to my car I decided to call the ticketing office and I spoke to someone else. This person definitively told me that tomorrow night is not what everyone thinks it is, and that it IS in fact a concert with a bunch of elementary school girls. She said the April Fools joke was on them (i.e the people working for the Troubadour) because they have been completely slammed with calls asking about GnR.  So there you have it.

Here's my take: I wouldn't be surprised, or even mad, if they lied to me. In this day and age, GnR has done an impeccable job controlling the flow of information regarding their plans. I bet people's jobs at the Troubadour are on the line if they leak anything. Think about it, when I asked the lady about tickets in the venue, there were already 6 or 7 co-workers as witnesses right there.  And if something gets out that causes a massive clusterfuck at the venue and it gets back to management that this woman (or anyone else) was responsible? She would be toast, and I wouldn't want that for her or anyone else there.  

I knew going down there today and getting any info, let alone tickets was a hail mary. I was hoping that maybe my timing was perfect or something with tickets getting released and I was there at the right place at the right time. Not to be.  

So is GnR playing the Troubadour? Who fucking knows! LOL! But if anyone miraculously gets a plus one, hit me up! ;)

IMG_5387.JPG

• Like 3

So first of all, it's definitely not the whisky based on their recent social media activity lol. 

Second of all, excellent investigative reporting @mashandflutter  It would be funny if it was a reverse April fools joke and GNR planted all of this to get press attention haha

Edited by KiernanProud

7 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

They were freaking incredible. REAL music. Raw and unfiltered with no bullshit. The last great rock band IMHO. The people who were there for the early club days and the Appetite tour have no idea how lucky they were.

You said it. 

In the end we all have personal taste in music as in everything, and opinions etc... but if one cannot recognize the PURE BEAUTY of those early shows/days, then shame on him/her. 

Missing out on one of the truly greatest Wonders of the World in the history on humanity. LOL

And that's why I'd rather shell out 500-700 USD for an original 1987 late summer European tour t-shirt than go see Axl-Slash-Duff at friggin Coachella right now. That shirt represents something invaluable to me, every time I wear it I feel like I'm floating 2 feet off the ground. It's a statement of something extraordinary.