Your Favourite 2016 GNR Moment

The entire month of April. The GNR museum brought me back to the 80s in 2016, which is ridiculous and awesome, since I didn't even exist back then. :lol:

Also the Patience trailer video. That felt so magical, almost like returning to the warmth of your home after a long absence. Cheesy, I know, but I remember thinking "Finally!" when I first saw it. Extremely satisfying stuff.

The Axl/DC London gig gets an honorable mention for me, because of Slash and Duff going to see their friend make one of his dreams come true and absolutely kill it.

• Like 1

Obviously there are great moments I wasn't a part of (spitefully) like the Troubador, but in terms of things that affected me or that I was a part of, here's my favorites:

After all of the speculation and waiting, it was amazing to finally get the official announcement that the band was back and had been announced for Coachella. Obviously that didn't end up being the first show, and neither was Vegas, but it was surreal when that announcement finally came through "officially" and seeing that old logo again on Slash and Duff's profiles was bizarre.

Following that, I was fortunate enough to have seen GN'R 10 times this year with my first show being the first night in Vegas, and seeing Axl being wheeled out on this insane rock throne was awesome and hilarious, especially after we had been wondering all day what was going to happen and how he was going to perform the shows. Hearing the 'first' performance of Coma was insane, especially after @Tyler Drama and I listened in and heard it at soundcheck the day before.

Following April, the stadium shows were such a different experience than I was used to previously with Guns and they were and are amazing. DC was my first show after Vegas and I got to spend it with a handful of friends and that was a great experience. After that, it was on and I was like "Okay, well maybe I can add this show. Maybe I'll do this one too..." and ended up added at least 2-3 more shows to my roster after that, and I'm real glad I did.

People ask how I can go and see shows so many times, especially during the same year or couple month span, and I took a friend to the DC show and afterwards he said "Now I understand why you go to so many". Every show was great in it's own way, each how some kind of stand out performance. It was awesome to see Sorry 'debuted' at Philly as well as to see the awesome setlist I saw the second night in Mexico City.

And on top of all that, I've made so many great friends through the band, not only from the forum but just the shows in general, and it's always great to see them and experience the shows with them.

And of course it's always cool to have Axl point me out during the show, whether from recognizing or because I'm wearing one of his shirts :lol:

Bring on 2017.

• Like 2

My favorite moments are:

the reunion announcement on social media (coachella)

troubadour on April's fools day ( I was literally crying when I saw the videos on Instagram) 

the European tour announcement because I'm going to see them live and I can't fucking wait!!!:headbang:

in general I'm so happy they are together again especially Axl and slash!:P 2016 best year of my life for me! 

for me #1 billion % it was April 8, 2016...when i saw Axl and Slash and Duff reunited on the T-Mobile Arena stage. hearing Axl speak, hearing Axl sing, seeing Slash and Duff clustered around Axl :wub: and omg, hearing Layla leading into NR. and Nightrain when i lost my frickin' mind!

next fave moment was Axl taking over for Brian Johnson in what became AXL/DC. not only getting to hear AC/DC fronted by Axl but the interest it piqued in me leading me back to Bon.

now for '17 i want to see the AFD5 reunited, touring somewhere close by me and NEW MUSIC please! :headbang:

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

My favourites:

April 1st. The excitement was palpable. I was actually working nights back then but I got to follow the whole buzz throughout the day as Tower Records filled with fans, then I got home from work and watched as the fans waited outside The Troubadour. When they finally took stage I got to listen to Fede's stream from outside the Troubadour. It was intense being a part of such an iconic moment.

The first Vegas show. Axl's broken foot hit the news and I feared the worst, then that night hearing how fucking incredible Axl and the band were.

The second Vegas show. Axl kicking off Jungle with one of his best screams ever, better than the RAR 2006 intro. Then doing it again several times during LALD. Then delivering a stellar Coma. And he just kept on going.

Houston. What a fucking show. Not sure what got into Axl that night but it was definitely one of his best shows vocally, and the piano incident was hilarious. They should release that show as The Piano Incident.

Axl/DC, apparently someone forgot to tell Axl it's not 1992... that fucking voice.

In (roughly chronological order)

1. Axl's "Taco Bell tweet." After the GN'R teasers started showing up before the Force Awakens, we all felt 99.99% sure we knew the Axl/Duff/Slash reunion would happen, but that tweet (as maddening as it was haha) still made me laugh. 

2. The true novelty of seeing Slash and Duff promoting GN'R/Coachella on their Twitters. 

3. Obviously, everything involving the Troubador show, and the name of the tour.

4. Not really one particular moment, but seeing that the band was willing to open up the set-lists a little: "Coma," Double Talkin' Jive," "Sorry," "Catcher in the Rye," "There Was A Time."

5. Axl absolutely slaying it with AC/DC, and his friendship with Angus Young. 

6. The true surprise of that China Exchange interview, and how open and happy Axl seemed. 

7. Getting to see this lineup in person (Atlanta July 27) 

8. Steven playing with the band and immediately making the old songs sound even better.

9. Trying to guess what, exactly, Melissa Reese contributes (I do love her though). 

10. Seeing that picture that ended up being @RussTCB's avatar. 

11. Seeing that the band would finally return to St. Louis 

12. Everything involving Izzy's Twitter account: including the awkward jokes, random deletion of tweets, and the fun of guessing whether or not it really was Izzy's Twitter (is that thing verified yet?).

13. New Izzy music: including a reunion with Matt Sorum. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 2

For me, the Vegas weekend was #1. The excitement was insane. Everywhere you looked, there was a Gunner, and from all over the world. The mystery of how the broken foot would be dealt with. I attended the first show, and it was incredible. They've been my favorite band since 1987 when I was 17, and it was cool that when you talked to another fan you just met (even if they were young enough to be your offspring :lol:), they loved GnR as much as you did. I'm sure the next time I go to Vegas, I'll have a blast, but it can never hold a candle to April 2016!!!

• Like 1

• Slash posting the Coachella pic on his instagram.
  • The Troubador show and the week prior when we were trying to figure out if they were going to play or not and where. I was new in the forum and those days were a blast!
  • The other april shows. The beginning of "The Periscope Era" and seeing them play Coma, Yesterdays, etc. and share the stage with Angus.
  • The announcement of the South American tour. It was a lifelong dream coming true, a dream I didn't even know I still had 'cause I had kinda convinced myself that I didn't need to see them together, that I was fine seeing each one of them on their own. As soon as the reunion happened, I realized how wrong I was and how much this meant to me.
  • Getting to see them live. I really can't put it into words, it meant everything to me. Last night before the first show I couldn't sleep, I was over excited, anxious, nervous, happy... all kind of emotions were running through me, I couldn't handle it. It was the best week ever!! 
  • Steven's appearances. They were way shorter than I would have wanted them to be but I loved seeing him there, I'm still extremely happy for him and hoping he'll show up a lot more next year.
  • The announcement of tours all over the world and the ridiculous ammount of tickets they already sold. It may sound silly but it makes be already excited about the year that's coming for the band. I'm glad they're doing so well and also I'm happy about many of you who didn't get to see them this year but now know you're having your chance very soon.
  • Last but not least, joining this forum! This place is full of crazy people (like me) who share the passion for this band and made this wondeful GNR year a whole lot better for me. Love you guys! :heart:

Loved your post, @Andy14! That last gif is from the 1st show I attended and everytime I see it I can't help but smile like an idiot!! Thanks for all those wonderful gifs!! 

April 1st, 2016 was an amazing night. Everything about it, with the 24 hours before it's announcement the MyGNR CSI team working their asses off, the legit announcement, the sheer craziness and excitement on the board let alone the entire GNR fanbase. Then we started watching Fedes periscope stream, frantically screaming in excitement as we heard only the drum beats of songs..."is that Double Talking Jive" "Is that a new song holy shit- no, it's just a new intro to Better". As the few scarce insta photos came in, we saw the new 2016 Axl and my god...no hat...no sunglasses...no handlebar mustache! He has hair! Then the snippets of songs came rolling and and on Jungle Axl sounded great. It was an amazing night. Oh and of course...SLASH AND AXL (+Duff) ON THE SAME STAGE! "NOT IN THIS LIFETIME" MY ASS! Then all the reviews came in, and the cherry on top of the sundae was SHITMAN WAS OUT! Melissa Reese- no one saw a new keyboardist player or even a girl coming to GNR, but it happened.

The year has been great. Axl is at peace, he has his true band back, band gave it their all for 3 legs of a tour, steven Adler, SLASH and Duff on CD songs.

Now give us new music and 2017 will cement this as the greatest reunion of all time.

The weekend of the Vegas shows was perhaps one of the best weekends of my life. I drove in solo from the coast of California and camped out in the Mojave desert for a couple of nights (a dream of mine since childhood) before headed to Vegas to catch the second show. The chance to hear both Alice in Chains and Guns jams live in and of itself was enough to excite me to the pre-concert high I used to get days before a concert as a teenager. 

I settled into the MGM grand parking garage, my intended sleeping quarters for the night, found a bottle of whiskey in the back of the vehicle and filled up before headed to the concert. Once there some serious jamming was done to Alice, they sounded phenomenal. The downtime was spent imbibing large cans of overpriced cheap beer when suddenly a lovely lady at the end of my row caught my eye. She was certainly a looker- a stunning, very fit brunette clad in incredibly short leather shorts draped in a flag of a large Axl print -and she seemed a bit bored. Fueled with enough liquid courage to attempt batting up a league or two I decided to strike up a bit of conversation. Turns out she is an absolute die-hard Brazilian fan; we go the next 30 min or whatever the wait was between bands going tit-for-tat with obscure GNR trivia before the looney-toons theme brought us in for the greatest show I have ever seen. As the set list wore on we competed in a cut-throat manner lyrically and vocally with each song. The ballads were the nail in the coffin as she melted into my arms. After paradise city ended we spent a few hours together talking about what we had just witnessed like a couple of kids that had just been to Disney Land or something for the first time. We had a few drinks, things got a bit physical, and she invited me back to her hotel room. It was one of the hardest decisions of my life to walk away from that offer. 

The moment that will forever live in my mind and heart is standing there with that beautiful Brazilian girl in my arms screaming in unison every single word to the ending verse of Coma with Slash -flanked by a seated Axl -absolutely ripping through his elevated Gibson. I was so happy at that moment, I will never forget it. 

I still think about that girl often, it's a shame I can't remember her name. 

• Like 2

There was so many but. In the top of my head i choose this three:

- troubador ( all the troubador day was magical)

- slash helping axl to get up when Mr rose fell down 

-axl/dc first show.

However i think the houston performance was one of the best gnr performances of all time . ( that show should be the one to put out on dvd/bluray)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hello, how are you? said:

The weekend of the Vegas shows was perhaps one of the best weekends of my life. I drove in solo from the coast of California and camped out in the Mojave desert for a couple of nights (a dream of mine since childhood) before headed to Vegas to catch the second show. The chance to hear both Alice in Chains and Guns jams live in and of itself was enough to excite me to the pre-concert high I used to get days before a concert as a teenager. 

I settled into the MGM grand parking garage, my intended sleeping quarters for the night, found a bottle of whiskey in the back of the vehicle and filled up before headed to the concert. Once there some serious jamming was done to Alice, they sounded phenomenal. The downtime was spent imbibing large cans of overpriced cheap beer when suddenly a lovely lady at the end of my row caught my eye. She was certainly a looker- a stunning, very fit brunette clad in incredibly short leather shorts draped in a flag of a large Axl print -and she seemed a bit bored. Fueled with enough liquid courage to attempt batting up a league or two I decided to strike up a bit of conversation. Turns out she is an absolute die-hard Brazilian fan; we go the next 30 min or whatever the wait was between bands going tit-for-tat with obscure GNR trivia before the looney-toons theme brought us in for the greatest show I have ever seen. As the set list wore on we competed in a cut-throat manner lyrically and vocally with each song. The ballads were the nail in the coffin as she melted into my arms. After paradise city ended we spent a few hours together talking about what we had just witnessed like a couple of kids that had just been to Disney Land or something for the first time. We had a few drinks, things got a bit physical, and she invited me back to her hotel room. It was one of the hardest decisions of my life to walk away from that offer. 

The moment that will forever live in my mind and heart is standing there with that beautiful Brazilian girl in my arms screaming in unison every single word to the ending verse of Coma with Slash -flanked by a seated Axl -absolutely ripping through his elevated Gibson. I was so happy at that moment, I will never forget it. 

I still think about that girl often, it's a shame I can't remember her name. 

I just gotta know- why didn't you go to her room? 

Slash posting the old GNR logo on his twitter for Coachella - at that moment we finally knew it was real.
First pic with Axl standing next to Slash in Troubadour posted online.
And of course the shows. Coma etc.

Edited by jamillos