British Politics

Gracii Guns

Remember how Brexit was going to single handedly save the UK fishing industry? It's almost as if cutting ties with our largest trading partner and adding in all sorts of bureaucracy and red tape where hitherto there was none was a bad idea. I don't know about anybody else but this comes as a complete shock to me. :lol:   

Brexit: Fishing firms hold London protest over disruption

Fishing businesses hit by post-Brexit export problems have demonstrated outside various government departments in Westminster. Exports of fresh fish and seafood have been severely disrupted by new border controls since the UK's transition period ended earlier this month. A BBC reporter said between 15-20 lorries had been driving up Whitehall in central London. The prime minister has promised compensation for affected firms.

Industry associations have complained that extra paperwork has made it difficult to deliver fresh produce to mainland Europe before it goes off. On Sunday, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said ministers were working with the sector to resolve "teething problems" faced by exporters. Mark Moore, manager of the Dartmouth Crab Company, said his business and others were protesting to "raise awareness" of the impact of new border checks.

He told BBC Radio Five Live his company had faced delays of up to eight and a half hours when delivering produce into the European Union. He added that the situation was "especially difficult" for the shellfish sector, where goods were at risk of going off before reaching customers.

"It's not about the increased documentation per se," he said. "We have taken that on board, and we ourselves - and I know many others - have had no issues with producing the actual paperwork." "It's the volume required and the timeframe in which to produce it, which doesn't lend itself to live shellfish and fish generally."

Edited by Dazey

Loving all this sovereignty. 

Tonnes of meat rotting at the border due to Brexit red tape

British meat exporters joined fishermen yesterday to warn that their exports to Europe were being crippled by post-Brexit customs red tape.

In the past two weeks fresh produce worth hundreds of thousands of pounds has been impounded at European ports for not having the correct paperwork.

One exporter has five containers’ worth of fresh pork that has been stuck in Rotterdam for two weeks because a veterinary certificate had been filled in incorrectly.

Another had five lorries, each containing 23 tonnes of fresh chilled meat, valued at £500,000, impounded in Calais for three days.

Much of the meat will have to be destroyed; products such as pork and chicken need to be processed within eight days of slaughter. The industry has warned that European customers are looking for alternative suppliers as exporters suffer “catastrophic delays for perishable products”.

“The new post-Brexit customs system for meat products is convoluted, archaic and badly implemented,” said Nick Allen, chief executive of the British Meat Processors Association.

“If continental supermarkets are unable to have products delivered the way they need them to be, this trade will simply be lost as EU customers abandon UK suppliers and source product from European processors.”

Seafood hauliers descended on Downing Street in HGVs yesterday to protest at the disruption that has led to trade with the Continent grinding to a halt because of delays at the border.

More than a dozen lorries with slogans such as “Brexit carnage” and “Incompetent government destroying shellfish industry” were parked in Whitehall, having been driven down to London from ports around the country.

Boris Johnson said that he understood the “frustrations” of businesses trying to export to Europe and said that any seafood businesses experiencing difficulty exporting to the EU “through no fault of their own” would be compensated.

He said: “I sympathise very much and understand their frustrations, and things have been exacerbated by Covid, and the demand hasn’t been what it was before the pandemic and that’s one of the problems we’re trying to deal with. Where businesses, through no fault of their own, have faced difficulties exporting where there is a genuine willing buyer, there’s a £23 million fund to help out.”

The meat industry said that many of its problems lay in the export health certificates that had to accompany all shipments. These certificates are generated by filling in the product code online and printing them out before getting them signed by a vet. Many of the forms then need to be altered by hand — because they are not specific enough — and each change also has to be stamped and initialled by the vet.

Mr Allen said that some forms he had seen had up to 50 different stamps on them, causing even more confusion at the border.

Tony Hale, managing director of London-based DH Foods, said that he had five containers of fresh pork sitting at Rotterdam port that was now “completely rotten”. He added: “There is nothing we can do about it. We can no longer sell it, but we can’t even bring it back into this country because we don’t have the right forms to do so.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tonnes-of-meat-rotting-at-the-border-due-to-brexit-red-tape-vprt3h8cm?shareToken=0a7e895f3a1fa855d6f56d2f1f74dd99&fbclid=IwAR0mw7Axu0Yl7NGhmxk9a3tyLciar1U_mVD3jg92uFgsoxtaK2zTcXEDbfY

53 minutes ago, Padme said:

Oh! This "lunchgate" is true? I was checking here because I read about and I refuse to believe it. Anyway, there is a lot going on besides somebody's lunch I'm afraid :no: 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/24/bill-for-boris-johnson-brexit-is-coming-punishingly-steep

Yep, it’s all true. Some people really were stupid enough to vote for this shitshow. :facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 10:32 PM, Dazey said:

Nice to see that not a lot has changed in the last 40 years. :lol: 

Kilomolimeters 😂

We used to rule the world 😂

I fought in the war 😂

I think that two minute clip is the best representation of England that I've seen in years. Perfect. 

And for the record - I also don't like driving abroad due to getting less mpg 😳

Nice to see the UK fishing industry roaring back to life after Brexit. :facepalm:

UK seafood firms have found their exports to the EU strangled after new red tape kicked in - but Environment Secretary George Eustice insisted it was Brussels' fault

Tory ministers faced a backlash tonight after blaming the EU for a “devastating” ban on British shellfish exports due to Brexit.

Seafood firms have warned of a “crisis” since January 1 with one firm in Bridlington, Baron Shellfish, shutting its doors after 40 years.

Labour Shadow Environment Minister Stephanie Peacock said “many fleets are unable to sell their catches, and exporters unable to ship and trade.”

She added: “A multi million pound industry has ground to a halt overnight. Jobs and communities are at risk. Unless this situation is resolved the UK shellfish industry will not survive.”

She went on: “Whoever is to blame, the fact is that shellfish farmers and fishers are not able to export their most valuable product to their most important market.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-bks-fury-uk-blames-23465088

7 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Nice to see the UK fishing industry roaring back to life after Brexit. :facepalm:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-bks-fury-uk-blames-23465088

Didn't you read? It was Brussels fault. EU keeps fucking up for mighty Britain even after you've got out of it. It's obvious you need to leave world society altogether. Leaving the EU simply wasn't enough. Leave the world. With no one to export to, export can't pummel. Problem solved. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Didn't you read? It was Brussels fault. EU keeps fucking up for mighty Britain even after you've got out of it. It's obvious you need to leave world society altogether. Leaving the EU simply wasn't enough. Leave the world. With no one to export to, export can't pummel. Problem solved. 

It's all the EU's fault that a law that was enacted while the UK was a member to restrict exports from 3rd countries is now being applied to the UK which is now a 3rd country and causing restrictions on our exports. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

It's all the EU's fault that a law that was enacted while the UK was a member to restrict exports from 3rd countries is now being applied to the UK which is now a 3rd country and causing restrictions on our exports. :lol: 

You should move to the moon to get away from pesky foreigners with their laws and agreements. No fish there either, or anything else, for foreigners to steal from you.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

You should move to the moon to get away from pesky foreigners with their laws and agreements. No fish there either, or anything else, for foreigners to steal from you.

Care for a little sectarian terrorism with your shellfish sir? :lol: 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

That's actually a bit frightening. Oh well, that's the price you have to pay for at least getting governed by proper Brits out of London and not non-brits out of Brussels.

Plus we can't even get our favourite snacks anymore. :( 

wRHLOZz.jpg 

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't know if I should relish in schadenfreude or be sad. I mean, I really, really like the Brits and wish them all well. But... they brought this upon themselves.

Can I come and live at your house? :lol: 

12 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't know if I should relish in schadenfreude or be sad. I mean, I really, really like the Brits and wish them all well. But... they brought this upon themselves.

Be sad for us Scots at least, we didn't vote for this and are now being put through it by the Tory wankers anyway.